Texas Hunting Forum

Let’s talk about deer hearts…

Posted By: skinnerback

Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/18/21 09:52 PM

[Linked Image]

I know how I like them cooked, but I’m curious as to how other folks prepare & cook theirs. Maybe learn something new….
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/18/21 10:20 PM

Jesse Griffith cookbook Afield has a great recipe, butterflied, with olive oil, balsamic and other great ingredients)in the blind and can’t remember everything). Seared and eaten rare.

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/18/21 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by ETexas Hunter
Jesse Griffith cookbook Afield has a great recipe, butterflied, with olive oil, balsamic and other great ingredients)in the blind and can’t remember everything). Seared and eaten rare.

Thanks, I'll check that out. up
Posted By: Catperch

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/19/21 01:13 PM

I've been wanting to make tacos out of some heart. I flat out forgot to keep the heart in the last 2 I killed.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/19/21 03:04 PM

Whoa

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/19/21 06:19 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/19/21 06:19 PM

Here you go
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/19/21 06:22 PM

I've always left mine in the gut pile, and I'm starting to regret that. Post some updates on what you do with those, please!

I was going to keep the one from my doe this year, but it had a giant hole in it grin
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/19/21 06:23 PM

Jessie was also on an episode of Meat Eater where he made a heart ceviche recipe I want to try….

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/19/21 06:51 PM

I’ve made the one above several times and it’s very good
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/19/21 08:00 PM

Nope
Posted By: Blank

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/19/21 10:42 PM

Sorry, but to me "Guts is guts!" My wife doesn't do game at all, but my hunting partner loves them all tho, so I save every one that's not shot up for her. smile
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/20/21 01:01 AM

Cut out the all the veins, connective tissue and white. Marinate in some garlic salt, minced garlic and lime juice. Render some onions, bell peppers a bit and then stir fry it. Serve on some fresh homemade "type" tortillas with some homemade chile sauce.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/20/21 01:05 AM

Buzzards gotta eat to, no way I’m eating that unless I’m starving to death.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/20/21 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by SouthWestIron
Cut out the all the veins, connective tissue and white. Marinate in some garlic salt, minced garlic and lime juice. Render some onions, bell peppers a bit and then stir fry it. Serve on some fresh homemade "type" tortillas with some homemade chile sauce.

Sounds good up

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/20/21 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

roflmao
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/20/21 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

Hmmm . . . ., hmmm . . . . . ? A friend would like to know if anyone has ever seen an ol' buzzard on top of a caterpillar.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/20/21 11:02 PM

Cooked some on the grill - smoked with mesquite - wrapped in cull fat. The very middle inside was the tenderest and most delicious. Outer area was cooked more and therefor more tough and rubbery.
Posted By: Birddogger

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/21/21 04:21 AM

Heart is great. Made fajitas from beef heart once and never told wife what it was until after. She liked it then got mad when I told her what it was. Most would be the same. If your open minded you will like it. Those who won’t try it with open mind won’t like it just bc they made their minds up it’s not good. Reality is that it’s a great piece of meat when handled properly.
Posted By: WestTN_TX

Re: Let’s talk about deer hearts… - 12/21/21 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Birddogger
Heart is great. Made fajitas from beef heart once and never told wife what it was until after. She liked it then got mad when I told her what it was. Most would be the same. If your open minded you will like it. Those who won’t try it with open mind won’t like it just bc they made their minds up it’s not good. Reality is that it’s a great piece of meat when handled properly.

This right here.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum