Texas Hunting Forum

Breakfast Sausage

Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Breakfast Sausage - 12/02/21 08:49 PM

So, I have a good bit of ground venison. What would it be like if I mixed a ratio of ground pork with it and seasoned it up for sausage patties.

If any of ya'll have done this, let me know the ratio and a seasoning recipe. Thanks.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Breakfast Sausage - 12/02/21 08:54 PM

I haven't really had good luck with venison making breakfast sausage. Not enough fat IMO...even mixing it with pork. Is there any fat mixed in already? Ground venison does however make good summer sausage, meatballs, chili, burgers, meatloaf, shepherds pie, Andouille (gotta add a bunch of fat), etc.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Breakfast Sausage - 12/02/21 08:56 PM

65 pork

35 venison
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Breakfast Sausage - 12/02/21 08:58 PM

I use A.C. Legg breakfast sausage with no sage in it. I do more of a 60/40 pork:venison ratio, doing 50/50 for me was a little too lean. You could keep it 50/50 just be heavier on the pork fat to lean pork on that 50% side of the recipe.

Re: Breakfast Sausage - 12/02/21 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
I haven't really had good luck with venison making breakfast sausage. Not enough fat IMO...even mixing it with pork. Is there any fat mixed in already? Ground venison does however make good summer sausage, meatballs, chili, burgers, meatloaf, shepherds pie, Andouille (gotta add a bunch of fat), etc.

I do all that, just never made my own breakfast sausage. The rail weight of this one was 137 lbs., gotta get creative with some of this.

Re: Breakfast Sausage - 12/02/21 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

I do all that, just never made my own breakfast sausage. The rail weight of this one was 137 lbs., gotta get creative with some of this.

When I do breakfast sausage, I do 100% feral pig, and it still seems a little lean to me. We eat a ton of ground meat a year. One 137 lb deer sure wouldn't make me try to get creative with the meat. LOL. Just got done processing 83 lbs of ground this past Friday. That won't last us the whole year.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Breakfast Sausage - 12/02/21 09:41 PM

The last batch I made I used 40% feral pig, 40% venison, and 20% pork belly. A little more fat than that wouldn’t hurt but it wasn’t overly lean.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Breakfast Sausage - 12/02/21 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
I use A.C. Legg breakfast sausage with no sage in it. I do more of a 60/40 pork:venison ratio, doing 50/50 for me was a little too lean. You could keep it 50/50 just be heavier on the pork fat to lean pork on that 50% side of the recipe.

Same. 60/40 pork/venison is a minimum to me. Legg's is good stuff, I just add more red pepper.

Nothing beats 100% feral pork from a big fat hog though.

Re: Breakfast Sausage - 12/02/21 10:05 PM

When I do breakfast sausage, I do 100% feral pig, and it still seems a little lean to me. We eat a ton of ground meat a year. One 137 lb deer sure wouldn't make me try to get creative with the meat. LOL. Just got done processing 83 lbs of ground this past Friday. That won't last us the whole year.
[Linked Image]

Is your last name Duggar?

Re: Breakfast Sausage - 12/02/21 10:24 PM

Is your last name Duggar?

Hunt
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Breakfast Sausage - 12/03/21 05:23 AM

This is what I've done in the past.

Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Breakfast Sausage - 12/03/21 01:06 PM

http://lpoli.50webs.com/

he has recipes for anything you could want.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum