Texas Hunting Forum

Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans

Posted By: Blank

Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/07/21 11:08 PM

Our friends that delivered the donuts asked us up for dinner tonight, and she is planning smoked spiral ham and home-made Mac&cheese! Asked the wife to bring a side and she volunteered pork belly burnt ends, and fresh green beans and bacon!!

I think we have a handle on dinner tonight!!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/08/21 12:01 AM

popcorn
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/08/21 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Blank
Our friends that delivered the donuts asked us up for dinner tonight, and she is planning smoked spiral ham and home-made Mac&cheese! Asked the wife to bring a side and she volunteered pork belly burnt ends, and fresh green beans and bacon!!

I think we have a handle on dinner tonight!!!

[Linked Image]

If you don't have a handle on dinner with that spread there is something wrong roflmao

I love Pork Belly Burnt Ends.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/08/21 01:30 AM

food
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/08/21 01:40 AM

Heck yeh. They’d go great with these butter beans, cooked in a clay pot over a campfire today. Old school.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/08/21 04:07 AM

Where do you get the pork belly. I have been trying to find a place and I cannot

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/08/21 04:56 AM

I used to find it at Albertsons, but they only had it in little 2# packages. The other grocer gets it in 12# slabs, and will cut as much as you want!!! That works for me!!$
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/08/21 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by wburke2010
Where do you get the pork belly. I have been trying to find a place and I cannot

Costco in Rockwall always has it and at a good price. Could probably get it at Joe’s, too. Just make sure it doesn’t have the skin on it.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/08/21 02:10 PM

I find it at HEB frequently. HEB will order whatever you want as well.

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/08/21 02:19 PM

My last batch of meat candy
[Linked Image]

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/08/21 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
popcorn

What no picture of them cooked ? That ain't right grin
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/08/21 02:46 PM

Wow !

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/08/21 03:54 PM

Stub: My apologies, mine looked the same as BigPig's, right down to the same fancy aluminum tray. Sweet Tooth was eating them so fast, I was afraid they wouldn't make it up to the dinner so I wrapped them up! Neither of the other couples had ever had them before, and they were a hit!!!

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/08/21 06:02 PM

Stub: My apologies, mine looked the same as BigPig's, right down to the same fancy aluminum tray. Sweet Tooth was eating them so fast, I was afraid they wouldn't make it up to the dinner so I wrapped them up! Neither of the other couples had ever had them before, and they were a hit!!!

No apologize necessary, I should have known something like that happened up
Heck there have been times where I laid out a spread all nice and neat to show off and forgot to take pictures of anything before, during or after hammer

If it turned out as good as Big Pigs looks then you did good cheers
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/09/21 12:20 AM

Find a Korean bacon recipe using an Asian barbecue rub. Grilled over mesquite.
Posted By: Obi Wan

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/09/21 01:56 AM

How do you cook the burnt ends?

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/09/21 02:08 AM

I like to cut my chunks about 1.5-2 inches square. They will cook down to about half the original size. I put a heavy dry rub coating on it, then bake two hours at 250 degrees. Then I pull them off the rack, put them in a metal pan, coat with the honey BBQ sauce, and back in the oven for 30 more minutes.

I like the dry rub first, instead of coating with sauces, because I want the fat to render out and drain better.

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/09/21 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan
How do you cook the burnt ends?

I like to cut my chunks about 1.5-2 inches square. They will cook down to about half the original size. I put a heavy dry rub coating on it, then bake two hours at 250 degrees. Then I pull them off the rack, put them in a metal pan, coat with the honey BBQ sauce, and back in the oven for 30 more minutes.

I like the dry rub first, instead of coating with sauces, because I want the fat to render out and drain better.

I do mine a little different. I cube mine the same way as Blank, season liberally with seasoning of your choose, but I smoke at 250 for 2 hours directly on the rack. Then move them into the fancy aluminum pan and cover with brown sugar and lots of stick butter. Back in the smoker for another hour. Drain the pain and then pour in BBQ sauce of your choice, I usually stay away from the sweet sauces at this point because of the brown sugar. Once they are coated in sauce, I place them back directly on the metal grate for about another hour, you want them soft soft soft because they will firm up a little when they cool. That’s it

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/12/21 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

I find it at HEB frequently. HEB will order whatever you want as well.

Where I get mine at.

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/12/21 02:11 AM

That is how I do mine but on the smoker.

Posted By: TPACK

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/12/21 01:58 PM

Just curious. What make them "Southern Green Beans" instead of just green beans?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1955

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/12/21 02:17 PM

Yum ! food

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/12/21 03:02 PM

Pack: People out here seem to only like their green beans blanched, and crunchy to the point they are almost raw!!! It just wasn't the way I was raised eating them. I prefer to do mine a little longer, about an hour on low, and with lots of bacon!!! The best green beans I have ever eaten used to be served at the Blessing Hotel, just couldn't get enough of them, or their catfish. smile
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/12/21 06:46 PM

Pack: People out here seem to only like their green beans blanched, and crunchy to the point they are almost raw!!! It just wasn't the way I was raised eating them. I prefer to do mine a little longer, about an hour on low, and with lots of bacon!!! The best green beans I have ever eaten used to be served at the Blessing Hotel, just couldn't get enough of them, or their catfish. smile

[Linked Image]

Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Southern Green Beans - 11/12/21 07:41 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum