Texas Hunting Forum

How do you use a "smoke box"?

Posted By: pertnear

How do you use a "smoke box"? - 10/21/21 03:43 PM

I bought a smoke box to try on my pellet grill. I filled it with pellets & lite the end with a propane torch - twice. Couldn't keep it burning. Are you suppose to use wood chips instead of pellets? I must be missing something. scratch
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: How do you use a "smoke box"? - 10/21/21 03:49 PM

The wood chips go inside the box (pellets would probably work just fine) and the box goes on top of the flame. The wood/pellets in the box smolder and smoke. It is supposed to be used on a gas grill. If you have a pellet grill already, the burning pellets will create the smoke.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: How do you use a "smoke box"? - 10/21/21 03:58 PM

Get the pellets burning good with the torch and then it should keep burning. Make sure your pellets are good and dry. I have used the tube in my pellet smoker when I wanted more smoke, never used a box.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: How do you use a "smoke box"? - 10/21/21 05:55 PM

An actual smoke box is designed to be used with wet wood chips and set on the flame of a gas grill. If you want extra smoke with a pellet grill, use something like this.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...WLNmdoDh6mfs6AeqOhWsh4ItkKhoCrPEQAvD_BwE
Posted By: pertnear

Re: How do you use a "smoke box"? - 10/21/21 06:24 PM

As the OP, I guess I used the wrong term. It is a "smoke tube" & I placed it on top of the grill next to the roast I was cooking. It looks similar to the one topwater referenced except it is rectangular & not round. I didn't know there was such a thing as a smoke box.

Thanks for all the replies.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum