Texas Hunting Forum

Smoker Talk

Posted By: scottfromdallas

Smoker Talk - 10/04/21 01:46 AM

Been smoking mostly on a Weber 22" kettle which works but limits capacity.

Finally decided to get a smoker. Considered everything but I just wanted something that was easy and set and forget.

Went with a PCB. Arrived today.

What are you using?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/04/21 03:07 AM

Straight up. UDS's turn out some mighty fine meat. Once you figure out your particular set up where you live, it's easy.

Fill the basket, fire it up, put meat on and set your timer. 12-16 hr cooks on pork butts and briskets have turned out a mighty fine product.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/04/21 11:28 AM

Thats an interesting looking contraption.

I use a stick burner.

[Linked Image]

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/04/21 01:10 PM

Nice set up Stub.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/04/21 01:20 PM

I still use my stick burner and my pellet smoker. Best of both worlds.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/04/21 02:05 PM

Nice TPACK. If I had the space, I’d likely have a couple different smokers as well.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/04/21 05:39 PM

I have a New Braunfels Smoker Company smoker my great uncle gave me, I have really enjoyed it, well built and put it to a lot of use. Only thing I dont like about it is its hell to move unless it is on a solid surface. Right now it is in sand in my back yard and stationary! lol
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/04/21 06:09 PM

I’m lazy and always working so I use a Yoder pellet smoker and love it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Judd

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/05/21 06:28 PM

I've got a large Big Green Egg...I've had it about 10 years and I cannot imagine having anything else. It's been great to cook on, I added a DigiQ temp controller and that's made it awesome to smoke with too. I get all the smoke flavor without having to give up my mancard and go to a pellet roflmao
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/05/21 08:53 PM

My setup at home is good, but not my favorite. It's from Academy and is a vertical stick smoker. It's a bit finicky holding steady temps, but if I want to crank it up to 400 to do a prime rib it does it very easily. [Linked Image]
My setup down at the ranch is nice. Reverse flow stick smoker, and I built a tin roof so I wouldn't get wet. It seems that every time I fire up the smoker it rains. Lol.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/05/21 08:57 PM

I’ve got that same vertical smoker Uncle Bubba, it does pretty good. I’ve done 4 briskets, ribs, & sausage at one time with no problems.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/05/21 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
My setup at home is good, but not my favorite. It's from Academy and is a vertical stick smoker. It's a bit finicky holding steady temps, but if I want to crank it up to 400 to do a prime rib it does it very easily. [Linked Image]
My setup down at the ranch is nice. Reverse flow stick smoker, and I built a tin roof so I wouldn't get wet. It seems that every time I fire up the smoker it rains. Lol.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

nice! did you build the reverse flow or have it built? did a little work on this one a few years ago and thought about making it a reverse.

Attached picture IMG_1055.JPG

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/05/21 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
I’ve got that same vertical smoker Uncle Bubba, it does pretty good. I’ve done 4 briskets, ribs, & sausage at one time with no problems.

It does a fine job...just not near as fine as my reverse flow smoker. If I had room at home, the reverse flow would be at home and the vertical would be at the ranch.

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/05/21 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Poppa
Originally Posted by unclebubba
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

nice! did you build the reverse flow or have it built? did a little work on this one a few years ago and thought about making it a reverse.

This guy built mine. He's in Tyler and he let me change the design slightly to meet my needs. Highly recommend. https://www.cwbbqsmokers.com/home.html

I had him add the wood box on the front, and three thermometers instead of one. If I were to have one built again, I would have him add a counterbalance to the lid. I absolutely can not pick up the lid with one arm. I also would have him add a griddle or bean pot warmer over the firebox.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/06/21 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Judd
I've got a large Big Green Egg...I've had it about 10 years and I cannot imagine having anything else. It's been great to cook on, I added a DigiQ temp controller and that's made it awesome to smoke with too. I get all the smoke flavor without having to give up my mancard and go to a pellet roflmao

You gave up your man card with the purple Jeep.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/06/21 11:53 AM

Works good, just wish I had bought a bigger one.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/06/21 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
[Linked Image]

I like how they put the grate on top of the fire box so you can actually put stuff on there and it not burn as easy.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/06/21 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by Judd

You gave up your man card with the purple Jeep.

Good point...Dodges will do that to a fella. It's short lived...I will get it back rofl
Posted By: garrett

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/06/21 03:07 PM

I started selling BBQ and doing small catering to fund this build. The ball got to rolling and I outgrew it real quick capacity wise

[Linked Image]

bought this gravity flow pit from Deep South Smokers, its going to get mounted on the BBQ trailer that I have being built right now. Lots of capacity and lets me get some sleep. Its in Houston right now, I had to use the smaller old smoker last weekend. turns out I am spoiled now....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/06/21 05:58 PM

Does that one have a tstat on the flue damper?
Posted By: garrett

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/06/21 06:57 PM

no it does not, just the ones in the smoke chamber
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/06/21 07:05 PM

Get 5; they’re like guns.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/06/21 08:39 PM

I use my Ivar Pro for grilling or a griddle top can sit on top as well.
[Linked Image]

My Oklahoma Joe Bronco works well when I don't want to baby sit a smoke but I can still get some great smoke flavor. It will hold 250°f for a solid 10-12 hours on 10 pounds of charcoal.
[Linked Image]

My Horizon offset for when I got time to drink
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RevolverFan

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/07/21 01:33 AM

Big Green egg xl. It's the only reason I can smoke. Holds any temp dead steady all day without me doing anything
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/07/21 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
[Linked Image]

I like how they put the grate on top of the fire box so you can actually put stuff on there and it not burn as easy.

I like to put a few sticks of wood on the grate, warming up before adding more in the fire box.

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/07/21 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
[Linked Image]

I like to put a few sticks of wood on the grate, warming up before adding more in the fire box.

Si
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/07/21 03:32 AM

I bought this when covid started. What I love about it is what my wife hates about it, it takes the same fire to cook 1 thing as it does to fill it up so when I use it, I fill it up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/07/21 10:28 AM

Nice looking setup who makes it?

Originally Posted by Scott W
I bought this when covid started. What I love about it is what my wife hates about it, it takes the same fire to cook 1 thing as it does to fill it up so when I use it, I fill it up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/07/21 09:38 PM

Old country pits, bought at academy.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Smoker Talk - 10/07/21 10:19 PM

Nice one sir
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum