Texas Hunting Forum

Asado

Posted By: Ox190

Asado - 09/25/21 04:07 PM

Can't find any decent asado here in DFW so reached out to some old friends in Odessa for recipes. Flavor is spot on for West Texas Asado. [Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Asado - 09/25/21 05:00 PM

That looks amazing....
Posted By: 1955

Re: Asado - 09/25/21 05:55 PM

up
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Asado - 09/25/21 07:19 PM

Do share!
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Asado - 09/25/21 07:25 PM

food
Posted By: ElkOne

Re: Asado - 09/25/21 10:31 PM

Perfecto up
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Asado - 09/25/21 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ox190
Can't find any decent asado here in DFW so reached out to some old friends in Odessa for recipes. Flavor is spot on for West Texas Asado. [Linked Image]

That looks excellent. One of my most favorite things to cook & eat. up
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Asado - 09/26/21 01:48 AM

Had never heard of it but might try cooking it. Sounds good

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2008/10/in-search-of-west-texas-asado.html
Posted By: lil_red_ryder

Re: Asado - 09/26/21 01:54 AM

Mind sharing the recipe? Looks great!
Posted By: stillhntr

Re: Asado - 09/26/21 01:54 AM

For sure an Odessa favorite, good stuff there. You have provided inspiration
Posted By: Stub

Re: Asado - 09/26/21 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by kmon1

Thanks for posting that for I have not heard of it either.

OP Looks Dayum good and will have to try some soon food
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Asado - 09/26/21 10:56 AM

Yum! cheers food

Re: Asado - 09/26/21 05:48 PM

Asado AKA chili colorado also known as guiso de puerco depending on where you're from. Instead of just using ancho chilis, I use a combination of chili ancho, pasilla, guajillo, New Mexico, morita, arbol, and chili tepins. That sauce/gravy is worth the effort. I used to make up batches of it and freeze, then take to the ranch. Kill a pig and make up a batch right there with either the loins, shoulder, or a mixture of both. It's delicious.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Asado - 09/26/21 05:59 PM

I'd eat that!
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Asado - 09/26/21 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

Asado AKA chili colorado also known as guiso de puerco depending on where you're from. Instead of just using ancho chilis, I use a combination of chili ancho, pasilla, guajillo, New Mexico, morita, arbol, and chili tepins. That sauce/gravy is worth the effort. I used to make up batches of it and freeze, then take to the ranch. Kill a pig and make up a batch right there with either the loins, shoulder, or a mixture of both. It's delicious.

I've never heard of it called Asado. Guiso or Guisada.

Re: Asado - 09/26/21 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

I've never heard of it called Asado. Guiso or Guisada.

Yeh it’s regional. In S Texas when someone says guiso or guisada they are typically talking about a brown gravy, but some folks still make a red gravy and call it guisada. Kinda like folks in West Tx and yankees call a breakfast taco a burrito, but in S Texas we just call them tacos as a burrito is a different animal lol. Same thing with taquitos.

I've worked with a bunch of folks from Mexico, and depending on what part of the country they are from they call the same food different things too.

Re: Asado - 09/26/21 07:28 PM

That looks awesome, and i'll bet it was up up
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Asado - 09/27/21 12:06 PM

I've worked with a bunch of folks from Mexico, and depending on what part of the country they are from they call the same food different things too.

They can call it what they want as long as they share and call me when it's ready!
food

Re: Asado - 09/27/21 06:46 PM

I used New Mexico and Guajillo on this batch. I got 5 different recipes to try.

Cubed up the pork shoulder, dusted it in flour then fried in lard.

Sauce was below

7 New Mexico Red chiles
7 Guajillo
10 cloves of garlic
all blended together with about 6 cups of chicken stock

once I added it to the meat I added

Oregano
Cumin
Bay leaves

Turned out really good for my first try, it could use a little more heat.

Re: Asado - 09/27/21 09:59 PM

Sauce was below

7 New Mexico Red chiles
7 Guajillo
10 cloves of garlic

Oregano
Cumin
Bay leaves

Those are both great chilis, great flavor.

I cube up my meat and season with Fiesta brand fajita seasoning (try pork tenderloin - whole nother level) I coat my pot with just a little oil and brown the meat. Reduce heat and drop in 1 stick of unsalted Falfurrias Sweet Cream Butter and one chopped yellow onion. Caramelize until very dark. (I don't always do the onion)

For the sauce I stem and seed all of my chilis first, then bring a pot of water to a boil. Drop in 1 quartered red onion and one whole head of fresh peeled garlic, boil 5 minutes then drop all my chilis in and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let steep for 30-45 minutes. Then I drop all of that into a blender and add 1 TS salt, 1 TS black pepper, 1 TS Cumin, 1 TS smoked sweet paprika. I add just enough of the water from pot to cover, then blend all that up. Then I run it through a fine mesh strainer. Put the meat back in the pot, add sauce, and just enough chicken broth until the meat is barely covered. Then I simmer that for 2-3 hrs until the meat is fork tender and gravy is thick. Done.

Re: Asado - 09/28/21 01:08 AM

Thanks Skinner for posting that recipe, it sounds fantastic up

Re: Asado - 09/28/21 01:12 AM

cheers You bet. I use this same sauce to mix in my tamale meat and sometimes use it in/on enchiladas.
Posted By: wsjaxIV

Re: Asado - 10/04/21 12:22 AM

Is this what I am looking for?

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/bolner-s-fiesta-ancho-chili-pods-1-5-oz/169956

Re: Asado - 10/04/21 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by wsjaxIV

Yes Sir, and there are other chilis as well that you can add for the flavor of your liking.
Posted By: LG

Re: Asado - 10/04/21 07:29 PM

OX- you making me home sick! LOL

Re: Asado - 10/04/21 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by LG
OX- you making me home sick! LOL

That's why i have to figure out a recipe I like, 9 hours roundtrip isn't worth it haha
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Asado - 10/05/21 02:41 AM

up Buddy of mine from Del Rio occasionally makes up a big batch and 'gifts' me with half - I freeze in portions and feast on it in 12" flour tortillas flame toasted when the hankering hits!! food
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Asado - 10/05/21 11:03 PM

that looks tasty! on another note, i think skinnerback and blank are kin folk some kinda way!
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Asado - 10/06/21 09:29 PM

Sauce was below

7 New Mexico Red chiles
7 Guajillo
10 cloves of garlic

Oregano
Cumin
Bay leaves

Those are both great chilis, great flavor.

I cube up my meat and season with Fiesta brand fajita seasoning (try pork tenderloin - whole nother level) I coat my pot with just a little oil and brown the meat. Reduce heat and drop in 1 stick of unsalted Falfurrias Sweet Cream Butter and one chopped yellow onion. Caramelize until very dark. (I don't always do the onion)

For the sauce I stem and seed all of my chilis first, then bring a pot of water to a boil. Drop in 1 quartered red onion and one whole head of fresh peeled garlic, boil 5 minutes then drop all my chilis in and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let steep for 30-45 minutes. Then I drop all of that into a blender and add 1 TS salt, 1 TS black pepper, 1 TS Cumin, 1 TS smoked sweet paprika. I add just enough of the water from pot to cover, then blend all that up. Then I run it through a fine mesh strainer. Put the meat back in the pot, add sauce, and just enough chicken broth until the meat is barely covered. Then I simmer that for 2-3 hrs until the meat is fork tender and gravy is thick. Done.

Good to see I'm doing it right. Mine is very similar. I do my chili basically the same way. Texas chili is beef and chili Colorado is pork. Pretty much the same outside of that. Not sure if that's right but that's what I call it.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Asado - 10/10/21 02:28 AM

TAG
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum