Texas Hunting Forum

Brisket and beef tallow

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 03:40 PM

Watched a couple YouTube videos yesterday about using clarified beef tallow on/injected in brisket and inside butcher paper wrap. Supposed to be Aaron Franklins secret ingredient. Also saw a container of Wagyu beef tallow. Anybody ever try this method?
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 03:48 PM

I don't, I also do Prime briskets when I do smoke them.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 03:59 PM

No.

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
I don't, I also do Prime briskets when I do smoke them.

I have to agree with using a prime brisket instead.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 05:01 PM

I make tallow from my brisket trimmings. I've also used the Waygu beef tallow from Amazon for different things. Never thought about trying to inject it into a brisket. I would give it a try. I found a whole thread on it over at BBQ brethren. https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289640
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 05:04 PM

Im just fine with how a well put together packer from HEB comes out. Doubt I will ever mess with any of the other.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 05:28 PM

Nope, I just use prime.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 05:48 PM

Never have. Just Choice or Prime for me, mostly Choice. They turn out good.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 08:00 PM

Ive been seeing Meatchurch do this. Pretty interesting
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Im just fine with how a well put together packer from HEB comes out. Doubt I will ever mess with any of the other.

I never bought a Prime brisket on purpose. Kroger had some prime briskets priced 1.77 lb. and mixed in with the choice that were on sale last year. I got home with 2 prime briskets unknowingly or I would have bought more. I will say that the Prime was absolutely one of the best 2 briskets I had ever smoked. I smoked a choice brisket 2 months ago and it wasn`t even close to the prime. I am a believer.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 08:42 PM

I never bought a Prime brisket on purpose. Kroger had some prime briskets priced 1.77 lb. and mixed in with the choice that were on sale last year. I got home with 2 prime briskets unknowingly or I would have bought more. I will say that the Prime was absolutely one of the best 2 briskets I had ever smoked. I smoked a choice brisket 2 months ago and it wasn`t even close to the prime. I am a believer.

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by TPACK

Ive eaten many of them. Have an uncle that is big into BBQ. He now only cooks prime briskets. Ive eaten his pre prime phase post prime phase etc. There is little difference. He also quit using mesquite and now will only cook with oak and swears its better etc. My opinion is there is negligible difference in any of it. Some briskets come out better than others etc. To me a prime brisket is not worth what they want for them. With everything there is decreasing returns for how much it costs. To me it just isnt worth it. Maybe its because I was an economics major or maybe im just easy to please.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 09:26 PM

Prime by all standards should have more marble, which logically would mean a more tasty juicy brisket. Select grade on the other end, well.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 10:27 PM

Prime only, the others only when my wife buys.

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 11:05 PM

Ive eaten many of them. Have an uncle that is big into BBQ. He now only cooks prime briskets. Ive eaten his pre prime phase post prime phase etc. There is little difference. He also quit using mesquite and now will only cook with oak and swears its better etc. My opinion is there is negligible difference in any of it. Some briskets come out better than others etc. To me a prime brisket is not worth what they want for them. With everything there is decreasing returns for how much it costs. To me it just isnt worth it. Maybe its because I was an economics major or maybe im just easy to please.

Personally I think if you really know how to pick a brisket you can certainly get away with not getting prime. Just throwing numbers out but I would guess 30% of choice briskets are great but 90% of prime briskets are great. So going prime takes out any guess work.

I remember watching a YouTube video with some famous brisket postmasters. Cant remember exactly who. But they cooked a choice, prime, and Waygu brisket and blind tested and ranked the flavor. It was all over the board. One ranked choice best, another ranked Waygu best and I think the other ranked prime best.

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 11:22 PM

A good Choice brisket, properly trimmed and properly cooked is good eatin'.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/27/21 11:25 PM

Exactly

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/28/21 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

Personally I think if you really know how to pick a brisket you can certainly get away with not getting prime. Just throwing numbers out but I would guess 30% of choice briskets are great but 90% of prime briskets are great. So going prime takes out any guess work.

I tend to be picky.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/28/21 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

I remember watching a YouTube video with some famous brisket postmasters. Cant remember exactly who. But they cooked a choice, prime, and Waygu brisket and blind tested and ranked the flavor. It was all over the board. One ranked choice best, another ranked Waygu best and I think the other ranked prime best.

I agree with finding some choice briskets on sale that are very well marbled like a prime, I also bought two choice briskets for $1.77 that were very good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/28/21 12:45 PM

Just read in this morning’s local paper that Costco will be opening a location up the road in Kyle soon. May give HEB some competition for meat sales with me. I usually go to HEB in new Braunfels for my smoking meat, but if you wait til the weekend it’s slim pickings.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/28/21 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
A good Choice brisket, properly trimmed and properly cooked is good eatin'.

This! I used to buy Prime at Sams until covid doubled them in price. Now I wait for a sale on choice and chose a goodun and trim it right.

This is the last one I cooked was really good:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/29/21 03:09 AM

clap

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/29/21 03:10 AM

Sir, when you get a chance...if you think of it.

Please give Hudson a hug from the Mize family.

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/29/21 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Just read in this morning’s local paper that Costco will be opening a location up the road in Kyle soon. May give HEB some competition for meat sales with me. I usually go to HEB in new Braunfels for my smoking meat, but if you wait til the weekend it’s slim pickings.

Costco meat doesn't go on sale, pork is also higher there. The only thing that I have really paid attention to is the price of Prime briskets. They do run cheaper at Costco than they do at HEB. I can't speak for other cuts of meat because I don't buy beef in bulk. We get the packaged chicken thighs and tenders which are cheaper than HEB. But don' think Costco has these crazy meat sales, it's all the frozen and dry goods that you get the good deals on.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/29/21 12:53 PM

Beautiful

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/29/21 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

Costco meat doesn't go on sale, pork is also higher there. The only thing that I have really paid attention to is the price of Prime briskets. They do run cheaper at Costco than they do at HEB. I can't speak for other cuts of meat because I don't buy beef in bulk. We get the packaged chicken thighs and tenders which are cheaper than HEB. But don' think Costco has these crazy meat sales, it's all the frozen and dry goods that you get the good deals on.

Thanks for the tip Herbie!
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/29/21 07:15 PM

I bought some beef tallow to use on my last brisket but ended up making some from the trimmings and poured it on the paper and meat when I wrapped. The final product was really good and very moist but I've perfected my method and can repeat it pretty consistently. I only cook Prime briskets. If I'm spending that much time, it's worth a few extra bucks on quality meat.

I've tried injecting a brisket with my seasoning in beef broth, didn't seem to do much. I don't think I would try injecting tallow. May slather tallow on the meat as a binder.

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/29/21 07:23 PM

When I wrap with butcher paper, the paper becomes saturated with the rendered fat from the brisket itself. Just wondering how the extra tallow added adds to the final result.

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/29/21 07:51 PM

When I wrap with butcher paper, the paper becomes saturated with the rendered fat from the brisket itself. Just wondering how the extra tallow added adds to the final result.

It's meat magic....
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/29/21 07:53 PM

They say Franklins does it; and he’s supposed to be the Bible.

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/29/21 07:55 PM

All I know is the last prime brisket I smoked came out fantastic. Hoping I can duplicate it next time. But every piece of meat is different.

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/29/21 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Huntmaster
They say Franklins does it; and he’s supposed to be the Bible.

Why would someone who already buys high end heavy marbled briskets do that? I am not calling you a liar, just food for thought if you will.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/29/21 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
Sir, when you get a chance...if you think of it.

Please give Hudson a hug from the Mize family.

Will do! He's a hugger.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/29/21 11:19 PM

This

Re: Brisket and beef tallow - 07/30/21 12:57 AM

When can we get a THF brisket Compton going? Sounds like it would be tough competition.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum