Texas Hunting Forum

Spatchcock Turkey…

Posted By: Judd

Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/12/21 02:35 AM

I am a huge fan of the spatchcock chicken and had told my Dad I wanted to do a turkey when they came for Christmas….well, COVID bit them two days before they were to leave. So I hadn’t seen them for one reason after another…let’s just say it’s been a rough 6 months for them. Well the 4th gave me an opportunity to make the 1700 round trip. I got there and he pulled out a turkey he had bought and said I needed to try to do one the way I was going to do at Christmas. I drove home Wednesday and it was just a little thawed after the trip home so I thought WTH, I’ll just cook that thing this weekend and stuffed it in the fridge to thaw.

This afternoon I pulled it out and gave it a good Meat Church dousing and back in the fridge:

[Linked Image]

About three hours later I fired up the egg and it’s pretty much leave it alone and let it cook. Only flipped it twice….45 min ribs down, 30 min ribs up and 45 min ribs down. You’re mainly getting your skin the way you want it when it’s ribs up. Cook until breasts hit 160ish, it’ll continue to rise as it rests.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good grub to end a frustrating day in the shop. I cannot do a better turkey than this, there I’d something about a ceramic cooker and poultry…it is never bad.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/12/21 02:38 AM

flehan
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/12/21 02:42 AM

That looks awesome brother, I want that skin! Pass the hot sauce.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/12/21 04:06 AM

Great job!
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/12/21 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

That’s what I said! That skin!!!! Drool!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/12/21 11:59 AM

One of my favorites. Would. The worst I ever had was wonderful.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/12/21 12:52 PM

That is the only method I use now to cook birds.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/12/21 01:07 PM

Looks great
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/12/21 01:08 PM

Dang, that looks good. What temperature did you run your Egg? It looks like you had it over direct heat instead of using the convEGGtor. Have you tried it both ways? I will have to give your method a try as my wife and I love chicken cooked on the egg.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/12/21 01:27 PM

chef looks tasty !

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/12/21 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Dang, that looks good. What temperature did you run your Egg? It looks like you had it over direct heat instead of using the convEGGtor. Have you tried it both ways? I will have to give your method a try as my wife and I love chicken cooked on the egg.

350-400...kept it at 375 most of the time. Yes, direct heat but with a riser to get the bird at gasket height. I have cooked using the plate setter but not at these temps, just low and slow. Doing the chicken this way is what got me to try the turkey.

Thanks guys, I'm really impressed...it was delicious and I'm sure we'll be eating on it a lot this week smile
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/12/21 05:09 PM

Yep
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/12/21 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Originally Posted by skinnerback

That’s what I said! That skin!!!! Drool!

x2, the color on that bird is great, would eat the heck out of that.

Turkey is one of those things you generally only eat around the holidays, but I dont think Ive ever met one I didnt like.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/12/21 10:59 PM

Looks great, Wonder how it would be on one of them fancy auto grills bolt
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/13/21 11:15 AM

Oh I like the looks of that! Bet it tasted great! cheers food
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/14/21 02:07 PM

Spatchcocked on the egg is unbeatable imo. It cooks fast, and the breast meat doesn’t get overcooked waiting on the thighs to come up to temperature.

I’ll never cook Turkey another way.

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/14/21 09:34 PM

I agree MG…there is just something about a ceramic and fowl…hard to overcook it and make it dry…both chicken and turkey.

First nite of leftovers….turkey nachos…these were delicious! Pre “dressed” picture:
[Linked Image]

After the wife got hers and I got to dress to my tastes:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Spatchcock Turkey… - 07/14/21 09:36 PM

Mercy.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum