Texas Hunting Forum

Best wood for smoking beef

Posted By: CharlieCTx

Best wood for smoking beef - 05/26/21 10:15 PM

I have a Recteq pellet grill, which is wonderful, only downside is there is not an easy way to change pellets from say Apple to Hickory.

So what I have started doing is to use one of the generic mixes for the hopper, then use a smoke tube for Apple for the first few hours of my cook if I'm doing Pork.

What's a recommendation for a hard wood pellet for Beef?

Thanks
Charlie
Posted By: stillhntr

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 12:31 AM

Mesquite or Oak
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 12:54 AM

Pellets? I prefer live oak.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 02:48 AM

I really like mesquite
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by stillhntr
Mesquite or Oak

Yup, being that I live in south texas and mesquites seem to fall over with every gust... its what i use most, it also splits 100 times easier than oak.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 12:34 PM

pecan
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 12:43 PM

Oak, mesquite, and don't sleep on hickory.
Posted By: Wool E. Booger

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 12:49 PM

Oak, hickory and mesquite is best for pork in my opinion.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 01:14 PM

On this subject, if you ask 100 different people, you will get 100 different answers. I don't do pellets, but when I smoke brisket, I prefer mesquite. Post oak would be 2nd choice.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 01:24 PM

Puro pinche mesquite with beef here.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 01:46 PM

Gonna vote pecan here. When we lived down there, we all got to where we couldn't eat the brisket that was smoked so heavy with mesquite. Got terrible indigestion, and even the kids complained.

Tried various recipes, places with hickory, oak, and pecan, and found a new love for sweet mild pecan-smoked meats of all types.

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Blank
Gonna vote pecan here. When we lived down there, we all got to where we couldn't eat the brisket that was smoked so heavy with mesquite. Got terrible indigestion, and even the kids complained.

Tried various recipes, places with hickory, oak, and pecan, and found a new love for sweet mild pecan-smoked meats of all types.

Yessr, unfortunately lots of folks don't know how to cook with mesquite.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

I love mesquite, but i use very seasoned wood and i burn it outside of the smoker to coals and then move the coals to the smoker with a shovel.

Its better for me double fold, doesn't over smoke stuff and is easier to maintain a constant temp.

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy

I love mesquite, but i use very seasoned wood and i burn it outside of the smoker to coals and then move the coals to the smoker with a shovel.

Its better for me double fold, doesn't over smoke stuff and is easier to maintain a constant temp.

Roger that. Coals is where it's at.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 03:36 PM

There all good, however mesquite is my favorite! 👍
Posted By: texfork

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 04:07 PM

I have been really liking Lumber Jack Pecan .
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy

Roger that. Coals is where it's at.

Wow! I didn't realize there were any old school bbqrs left in the world beside me!
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 05:45 PM

Mesquite is the only way to go with that type of cooker.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 08:26 PM

I have tried several types and pecan my favorite
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 08:54 PM

Pecan, mesquite and or oak.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 09:30 PM

I thought Pecan was a member of the Hickory family and would taste about the same. Not true?

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/27/21 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Scott
I thought Pecan was a member of the Hickory family and would taste about the same. Not true?

I think Hickory tastes better than Pecan. I primarily use Hickory in my smoke house for all of my ring sausage, summer sausage etc.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/28/21 01:26 AM

I prefer Pecan for beef and hickory or a fruit wood (apple, peach) for chicken and pork

I have also been using black cherry for beef and it works great. Have a bunch of those so no problem getting it.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/28/21 01:50 AM

I really like the Traeger Signature Blend which is Cherry, Hickory, and Maple. I use it for everything.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: RevolverFan

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/28/21 02:29 AM

My wife (a very picky eater) didn't like anything I grilled/smoked with hickory or mesquite only oak. I never tell her what i used either. Oak is always mildestate end result for us
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/28/21 04:38 AM

Post Oak.
Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/28/21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Post Oak.

I agree with this ^^^^^^^
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/28/21 03:30 PM

Okay- I feel more comfortable pushing hickory. Hickory has been around a long time and all the "newer" woods get the glory but IMHO plain old hickory still does a pretty good job.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/28/21 06:43 PM

Mesquite for my burgers & Steaks, Hickory for chicken, Post Oak or Pecan for my Briskets, Pecan or other fruit wood for all pork meats.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/31/21 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by kmon1
pecan

All I use, Mesquite smoke is to heavy for my taste I'll eat BBQ cooked with it but like pecan.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/31/21 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pupjoint
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Post Oak.

I agree with this ^^^^^^^

Correct answer.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/31/21 03:23 PM

I use Post Oak and at times a mix of Post Oak and Pecan.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Best wood for smoking beef - 05/31/21 05:16 PM

I like mesquite for steaks and burgers. It's a little too strong to cook very long with it. For me anyway. I use hickory, pecan and oak for smoking.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum