Texas Hunting Forum

Question for those with a treager

Posted By: Wburke2010

Question for those with a treager - 04/21/21 11:23 PM

I’m looking at a treager and have some specific questions about treager specifically. I’m looking at the lower pro model. I am wanting it to go with my kamado joe. And the only reason I am looking at one is for the times o want to cook some hot dogs for the kids or some burgers but I don’t want to wait for the kamado to heat up. Or to cook some sides on it like it’s an oven when I’m useing the kamado for the main meal.

How long does your treager take to heat up to cook burgers. I really don’t want to buy a gas grill but I’m wanting something that will heat up I. 10-15 mins to cook burgers.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Question for those with a treager - 04/22/21 05:23 PM

Pan on a burner. Just a few minutes.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Question for those with a treager - 04/22/21 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by wburke2010
I’m looking at a treager and have some specific questions about treager specifically. I’m looking at the lower pro model. I am wanting it to go with my kamado joe. And the only reason I am looking at one is for the times o want to cook some hot dogs for the kids or some burgers but I don’t want to wait for the kamado to heat up. Or to cook some sides on it like it’s an oven when I’m useing the kamado for the main meal.

How long does your treager take to heat up to cook burgers. I really don’t want to buy a gas grill but I’m wanting something that will heat up I. 10-15 mins to cook burgers.

It took mine under 10 minutes to heat up. It seemed like it was pretty quick. Flip it on, start getting your food ready and it should be ready by the time you are. It was a good little machine. I just prefer real fire so I didn't end up using it that much. Got rid of it to make room for another wood/charcoal cooker.
Posted By: Pigsicles

Re: Question for those with a treager - 04/22/21 07:04 PM

I have the Traeger 22" Pro and love it. Cooked burgers on it last night for the wife and grandkids. One of the big benefits is you don't have to worry about flare ups when doing bacon wrapped items or in the case of last nights burger which were made from ground brisket.
Takes mine 5-10 minutes to reach 375-400 degrees, depending on outside temp and mine maxes out about 425.
I have a Weber Genesis with side burner also and do love the added flexibility of having both.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Question for those with a treager - 04/22/21 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pigsicles
I have the Traeger 22" Pro and love it. Cooked burgers on it last night for the wife and grandkids. One of the big benefits is you don't have to worry about flare ups when doing bacon wrapped items or in the case of last nights burger which were made from ground brisket.
Takes mine 5-10 minutes to reach 375-400 degrees, depending on outside temp and mine maxes out about 425.
I have a Weber Genesis with side burner also and do love the added flexibility of having both.

Ditto. I have the Pro 22 also and mine maxes out at 460 with the signature blend pellets. I could honestly cook on mine every day.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Question for those with a treager - 04/22/21 08:50 PM

It depends on the pellets and the size of the grill but 10-20 mins is normal. I forget which model I have but it’s the big one and my dads smaller one heats up quicker. I still use a propane grill often because I can’t sear the way I want on the traeger but the traeger is still fine for burgers.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Question for those with a treager - 04/22/21 08:53 PM

bolt

Re: Question for those with a treager - 04/23/21 04:13 PM

Thanks guys. Still trying to decide if that’s what I want to get or get another kamado. If I have a choice cooking over charcoal is my favorite but there are times I want some speed to the process.
Posted By: GHale

Re: Question for those with a treager - 04/23/21 04:30 PM

Get a Blackstone for your hot dogs, burgers, Philly cheese steaks, fried rice, etc., etc., etc.
Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: Question for those with a treager - 04/23/21 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Pan on a burner. Just a few minutes.

Irrelevant

Re: Question for those with a treager - 04/23/21 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by GHale
Get a Blackstone for your hot dogs, burgers, Philly cheese steaks, fried rice, etc., etc., etc.

I’ve got a small tabletop one of those and didn’t think about that. That’s one to ponder on
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Question for those with a treager - 04/23/21 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by wburke2010
Thanks guys. Still trying to decide if that’s what I want to get or get another kamado. If I have a choice cooking over charcoal is my favorite but there are times I want some speed to the process.

Originally Posted by GHale

Black stone would be the way to go. Pellet grills are a jack of all trades and master of none. They certainly make good food.

Pros
It gives you the wood fired flavor
Constant heat control
Set it and forget it

Cons
Not great at searing no matter what attachment you get
Doesn’t get as hot as I would like
Smoked foods just come out subpar. Good but just not the same as cooking with sticks.

It sounds like what you really need is MasterBuilt digital gravity charcoal grill if had my I on these for the last year. They have great reviews, but I haven’t had the chance to even see someone cook on it. But it’s basically a pellet grill that uses charcoal.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum