Texas Hunting Forum

Fried shrimp batter suggestions

Posted By: tskin

Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/10/21 09:50 PM

Got some large fresh shrimp. I grilled some this week that turned out very good. We want to fry some and have never done it so.......anyone have a good recipe?
Thanks.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/10/21 09:55 PM

I'm not fond of batter. I generally went with the best dry coating I could find. Generally Zatarains .

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/10/21 09:57 PM

Bill, batter may not be the best word. I just need an idea of what is a good coating for frying.

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/10/21 10:00 PM

Batter-Fried Shrimp Recipe - Food.com

DIRECTIONS. Preheat oil to 350 degrees. Combine 1/2 cup oil and egg; beat well. Add remaining ingredients except oil for frying and stir until well blended. Dip shrimp into batter to coat. Drop shrimp into hot oil and fry for 30-60 seconds or until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towel.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/10/21 10:03 PM

Lots of different ways to do it. What do you like for fish? just the same can be used for shrimp, like cornmeal. I do buttermilk and flour sometimes, others I do flour, spices and egg, add Panko for real crunch. . Just cornstarch coating can give a crunch, without the heaviness of coatings. Key is to have your oil 350-375 degrees. Too hot and you burn the coating and get a bad taste, too low and the batter is greasy. Medium shrimp only take 30-60 seconds to get golden, and larges take 60-90. Good luck!!!
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/10/21 10:07 PM

I use this and they always turn out great. It is already seasoned and I just go by the directions. I make them 4-5 hours ahead and freeze them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/10/21 10:12 PM

Thanks for the input. We use cornmeal for crappie and thought shrimp we have eaten before had a different coating.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/10/21 10:18 PM

I like to use the same cormeal mix for my fish and shrimp, not a fan of flour or Panko. Louisiana blue bag (or blue jug). Dip in milk (or water) batter and fry in oil 350-375 (I like 375/ crispy). Be ready, it happens fast.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/10/21 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
I like to use the same cormeal mix for my fish and shrimp, not a fan of flour or Panko. Louisiana blue bag (or blue jug). Dip in milk (or water) batter and fry in oil 350-375 (I like 375/ crispy). Be ready, it happens fast.

yup

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/10/21 10:29 PM

I like to let the shrimp set up awhile when I use the dry mix. It results in less crumbs getting in the oli.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/10/21 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by TPACK
I use this and they always turn out great. It is already seasoned and I just go by the directions. I make them 4-5 hours ahead and freeze them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looks great
Posted By: LG

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/14/21 10:40 PM

FYI- Louisiana fish batter is gluten free for those of you who have gluten allergens etc...
Posted By: greenen

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/14/21 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by TPACK

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good. I use seasoned fine ground corn meal by itself sometimes as well.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/14/21 11:07 PM

Great job !đź‘Ť

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/15/21 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I like to let the shrimp set up awhile when I use the dry mix. It results in less crumbs getting in the oli.

I have done that and it does, but I don’t like the texture of that crust at all.

Just batter and fry fresh, if you want a good crust.

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/15/21 12:43 AM

Batter means roll in seasoned cornmeal, not a liquid batter.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/16/21 04:35 PM

Batter: Whole Buttermilk 2 cups, spicy brown mustard 2-3 ounces.

Breading: Zatarains or Louisiana, I like the crispy or the southern.

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/17/21 08:25 PM

So I tried the Louisiana mix While it was good both my wife and I both felt it was too salty for our taste. Next time I’ll try corn meal
like we like to do crappie. Thanks for all the input.

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/17/21 09:19 PM

I have also done them that way. I first let them set for awhile and pack them with a squeeze of my hand.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/17/21 09:39 PM

Ever use crushed saltine crackers for breading?

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/18/21 04:01 PM

[quote=greenen][quote=TPACK]I use this and they always turn out great. It is already seasoned and I just go by the directions. I make them 4-5 hours ahead and freeze them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We ate @ Saltgrass last night for my grand daughters birthday. I ordered the Shrimp because I don`t like eating steak at restaurants. Their shrimp looked and tasted like they had used this batter mix. It was almost as good as mine, but not quite.

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/18/21 04:05 PM

Close but no cigar? confused2

Re: Fried shrimp batter suggestions - 04/18/21 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Close but no cigar? confused2

It was really pretty good. Red Lobster has always been our seafood favorite. We eat there only a couple of times a year because it is not near our home. The last few times we ate there all of the portions were smaller(even the salad)and prices keep increasing. The size of shrimp they are using for their fried shrimp is smaller also. I guess they think people won`t notice.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum