Texas Hunting Forum

Tuna salad

Posted By: bill oxner

Tuna salad - 04/07/21 04:11 PM

It has been awhile Found this can of tuna in my pantry and got the hankering. What do you put in there? Throw your best shot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Tuna salad - 04/07/21 04:32 PM

Hard boiled egg, sweet relish, onion, salt & pepper, miracle whip or mayonnaise.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Tuna salad - 04/07/21 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by TexasKC
Hard boiled egg, sweet relish, onion, salt & pepper, miracle whip or mayonnaise.

^^^ This... it's good by itself, on a sammich, or with ritz crackers.

Re: Tuna salad - 04/07/21 04:40 PM

Thanks for the heads up on boiled eggs.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Tuna salad - 04/07/21 06:08 PM

Only kind I’ll eat
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Tuna salad - 04/07/21 06:32 PM

celery
boiled egg
mayo
salt/pepper
green onion if i have it.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Tuna salad - 04/07/21 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3

^^^ This... it's good by itself, on a sammich, or with ritz crackers.

Re: Tuna salad - 04/07/21 06:47 PM

I added crumbled leftover fried fish back in the day when I still fished.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Tuna salad - 04/07/21 07:04 PM

celery
yellow mustard
mayo
salt/pepper
onion
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Tuna salad - 04/07/21 07:26 PM

^^^ oh yeah i put mustard in mine also.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Tuna salad - 04/07/21 08:51 PM

Mayo ,onion, pickled jalapeño,celery,cucumber
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Tuna salad - 04/07/21 09:16 PM

Use salmon instead of tuna. Mayo, mustard, dill relish, onion, cucumber, dill. I'll have to give the boiled egg a shot.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Tuna salad - 04/07/21 10:18 PM

Tuna, mayo, sweet relish, just the whites from boiled eggs (eat the yolks), onion, celery, and diced jalapeño.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Tuna salad - 04/08/21 04:45 AM

Mustard, mayo. chow chow, sweet and sour pickles. Served on toasted whole wheat bread.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Tuna salad - 04/08/21 06:13 AM

I like to open a can of tuna, and just add black pepper & hot sauce. Magic Dust is a plus.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Tuna salad - 04/08/21 05:05 PM

I've been known to add pecan pieces in mine.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Tuna salad - 04/08/21 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by bp3
I've been known to add pecan pieces in mine.

One of my great aunts added chopped pecans, I have not thought of that in few years. Thanks for jogging a memory.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Tuna salad - 04/08/21 06:43 PM

most of the above sounds similar to what my wife and daughter makes, but they also put in some chopped apples that gives it a bit of a sweet taste.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Tuna salad - 04/08/21 11:27 PM

Mayo, seasoned salt, pepper, green onion, celery, and Famous Dave's Spicy relish.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Tuna salad - 04/09/21 03:41 AM

Tuna in oil, chopped hard boiled egg, lettuce, onion chopped med. diced pimentos, sweet relish and Miracle Whip.
Mix thoroughly and eat on crackers or on bread as a sandwich. put a few splashes of Tabasco and chow down
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Tuna salad - 04/09/21 05:58 AM

Mayo, salt, pepper, green onion, celery.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Tuna salad - 04/10/21 11:38 AM

up
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Tuna salad - 04/10/21 01:30 PM

Iceberg lettuce, tomato`s, thin sliced onion, cucumbers, bell pepper, celery, radishes, Dukes Mayonnaise, prepared mustard(small amount), sweet pickle relish(Mt. Olive -sugar free).
Sharp grated cheddar cheese is great in tuna salad also.
Let it sit for an hour before eating.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Tuna salad - 04/11/21 12:24 PM

Mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, dill relish, chopped onion and celery, chopped boiled egg. I like it on toasted bread with either tomato or cucumber slices with a lettuce leaf top and bottom to keep the toast from getting soggy. Or on crackers with a few drops of hot sauce of your choice, or Tiger sauce, pick-a-peppa sauce, etc...

Edited to add: In liue of relish I really prefer to chop up a few Gin Cornichons. They're little dill pickles but not quite as, umm, "dilly" and soaked in gin. Really tasty! They used to be difficult to find but most grocery stores have them these days.

Re: Tuna salad - 04/11/21 02:40 PM

With tuna, chicken, or egg salad lately we have taken to eating them off crackers instead of bread. Good sized ones like Ritz, Wheat Thins, Triskets, or Club hold quite a bit, and we can use reduces carb or salt ones to be a little healthier.

Re: Tuna salad - 04/11/21 03:19 PM

Having my last for lunch today. Changed and added a little at your suggestions. Thanks a bunch.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Tuna salad - 04/13/21 09:23 PM

A few years ago when I had a house full of kids and a wife, we had he sister and BIL and their kids over for seared ahi one weekend. I seasoned and seared the ahi on the grill and man, that was some good fish! As usual when I plan a dinner I cooked way too much. Had a few whole tuna steaks left over the next day. I tossed it back on the grill until it was cooked through and flaky and made tuna salad out of it. OMG that was the best ever....

It kinda' started a new tradition at our place. Seared ahi on Friday or Saturday night, I'd go ahead and cook a few steaks all the way through and put those on the fridge to chill over night. For lunch the next day I'd put out a kinda' tuna salad buffet. A big bowl of the flaked tuna then bowls of all the dressings and fixings. Chopped onions, celery, chopped boiled eggs, mustard, Mayo, dill relish, sweet relish, etc....use your imagination. At the head of the buffet you picked up a bowl and made your own tuna salad to your own liking as you went down the line. At the end of the buffet was your choice of a couple different crackers, fresh loaf of bread, and a couple toasters if you wanted your bread toasted.

It was a lot of fun comparing "recipes" and if you didn't like your tuna salad, it was your own fault.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Tuna salad - 04/13/21 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Slow Drifter
A few years ago when I had a house full of kids and a wife, we had he sister and BIL and their kids over for seared ahi one weekend. I seasoned and seared the ahi on the grill and man, that was some good fish! As usual when I plan a dinner I cooked way too much. Had a few whole tuna steaks left over the next day. I tossed it back on the grill until it was cooked through and flaky and made tuna salad out of it. OMG that was the best ever....

It kinda' started a new tradition at our place. Seared ahi on Friday or Saturday night, I'd go ahead and cook a few steaks all the way through and put those on the fridge to chill over night. For lunch the next day I'd put out a kinda' tuna salad buffet. A big bowl of the flaked tuna then bowls of all the dressings and fixings. Chopped onions, celery, chopped boiled eggs, mustard, Mayo, dill relish, sweet relish, etc....use your imagination. At the head of the buffet you picked up a bowl and made your own tuna salad to your own liking as you went down the line. At the end of the buffet was your choice of a couple different crackers, fresh loaf of bread, and a couple toasters if you wanted your bread toasted.

It was a lot of fun comparing "recipes" and if you didn't like your tuna salad, it was your own fault.

Awesome.
Posted By: Okiedog

Re: Tuna salad - 04/13/21 10:18 PM

Throw in a hand full of pecans and dried cranberries and it'll be perfect!

Re: Tuna salad - 04/13/21 11:42 PM

I have used leftover fried fish in a similar way.

Re: Tuna salad - 04/14/21 12:41 AM

SD: That sounds like an amazing plan!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum