Texas Hunting Forum

Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook?

Posted By: Stub

Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/07/21 03:42 PM

My favorite Cream Beef over toast; mom "aka Betty Baby" would buy those little glass jars of Corned Beef and make a cream gravy, break up some toast and pour it on there, man that was good stuff.
Any certain meal you mom made that was just to good to eat one serving?

Mom had a slightly different version of this. I had some leftover feral hog sausage, cooked with onions, jalapenos, plenty of black pepper and garlic salt.
On the griddle some leftover bacon bits in with the hashbrowns cooked brown and crispy. I'm full grin
I think my mom use add a splash of Worcestershire sauce to it, I know she did not use Jalapenos though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/07/21 03:52 PM

Probably a tossup between chicken an dumplings and corn beef hash.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/07/21 03:57 PM

Meat patties cooked in a cast iron, then using the grease to make a really good onion brown gravy. Then only ever
served with Mac n cheese.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/07/21 04:13 PM

We always had a 2 to 3 acre garden and was a lot of work but we ate good year round, also raised our own beef and pork. Favorite meal would be in the Summer when all the veggies were fresh, Butter beans, corn, fresh tomatoes, corn bread and fried chicken then a huckleberry pie.

Edit to add fresh bread and butter pickles.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/07/21 04:15 PM

I don’t have any pics but she would crock pot rabbits and when the meat fell off bread it and fry it . We would eat it over biscuits and gravy
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/07/21 04:59 PM

Toughest question of the day. Only a few but in no particular order. Cornbread dressing, fried chicken, biscuits hot out of the oven, fruit pies, stuffed bell peppers, anything she put in my lunch bucket, momma's love.

Calf-rope. My fingers are tired.

Edit: Oops. I forgot Chow-chow, with purple hull peas and fat-back.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/07/21 05:04 PM

Chicken and dumplings with chocolate pie for dessert.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/07/21 05:05 PM

My mom made the best chicken fried steak and pan gravy Yum got bless her !
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/07/21 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by 1955

My mom made the best chicken fried steak and pan gravy Yum got bless her !

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blank

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/07/21 05:41 PM

Crab cakes, salmon patties, fried chicken, green beans with pork belly, pimento cheese, and pecan pies.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/07/21 07:19 PM

Mom cooked beans and cornbread so good we always thought it was a treat. She made great squash casserole, potato soup, tamales and enchiladas.

My MIL law cooked up the best chicken fried chicken with cream gravy, mashed taters, fresh squash and tomatoes from the garden.

chef angel

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/07/21 08:18 PM

A lot of good stuff here
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/07/21 08:39 PM

My mom's from England, a couple of my favorite meals of hers are toad in the hole, shepherds pie.
Posted By: Giblett

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 01:46 AM

Heck all of it was good. I wasn't a picky eater but smothered liver and onions was a treat.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Giblett
Heck all of it was good. I wasn't a picky eater but smothered liver and onions was a treat.

up
Posted By: Stub

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 12:18 PM

Cream Beef over toast was my favorite breakfast. For dinner was Beef Tips over egg noodles or rice, I would have that for my birthday meal every year!

I could hurt myself on these, never had Beef Tips over mashed potato's. Got to try it!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 1955

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 01:26 PM

Yummy 😋

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 01:33 PM

Looks great
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 02:55 PM

My two are fried pork chops and fried rice

and

What we called Westerner dish, it is a casserole with ground meat, rice, kidney beans, sautéed onion and bell pepper some other stuff i cant remember and topped with cheese and baked.

Growing up i swear i could eat my weight in either.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 03:14 PM

None, my mom is a terrible cook so was my dad. Not sure where I got it from, maybe the mailman.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 04:20 PM

I was always very easy to please when it came to food as long as there was plenty. I always thought my mom was a good cook and cooked most items in what I grew up calling German fried which was in a skillet with a little oil (usually bacon grease) items rolled in flour and into the skillet, with a lid over the top usually low to medium heat, so it was kinda like frying and steaming rolled together. We had some form of meat and potatoes for every meal until I went off to college. Like I stated, I always thought my mom was a good cook until my wife came along. The wife couldn't boil water when we started dating but has come a long ways over the past 45+ years. The wife never cared for my mothers style of cooking.
Posted By: TSU99

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 04:48 PM

Jambalaya, Gumbeaux.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 05:19 PM

Fried chicken and fried pork chops.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 05:19 PM

My mom was a great cook and her buttermilk biscuits were outstanding. She's been gone for almost 50 years now but I still remember those biscuits with fresh churned butter and her homemade grape jelly.
Posted By: coachwhite34

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 06:06 PM

Not my mom, but grandmother

Red Beans
Hotwater Cornbread
Fried Zucchini
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by KRoyal
None, my mom is a terrible cook so was my dad. Not sure where I got it from, maybe the mailman.

Me and my brother both like to cook. We can only figure it was because we wanted some decent food in the house. My parents ruined me on hamburger helper, spaghetti, and ground beef tacos. I feel like I've eaten those meals every week for years. My brother and I started cooking when we were about 12. We created tabasco marinated burgers, pizza sandwiches, and how to dress up a Totinos pizza to rival delivery pizza.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Originally Posted by KRoyal

Me and my brother both like to cook. We can only figure it was because we wanted some decent food in the house. My parents ruined me on hamburger helper, spaghetti, and ground beef tacos. I feel like I've eaten those meals every week for years. My brother and I started cooking when we were about 12. We created tabasco marinated burgers, pizza sandwiches, and how to dress up a Totinos pizza to rival delivery pizza.

Man I grew up on hamburger helper. I’ll never eat it again.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 09:22 PM

My Mom's fried chicken, mashed potatoes with cream gravy and corn (form a can), was the best. The sound of that cold milk hitting the hot cast iron skillet for the gravy was my "wash your face and hands for supper" call. She didn't have to say a word, with that meal, you hear that low sizzle sound and you know it won't be long before we're fighting over which one of us had to say the prayer.
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 09:32 PM

Both of my parents were and are good cooks. I can't pick just one meal, there were so many.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 09:53 PM

When my mother fried chicken she always cut the chicken up herself. There was always a fight over the pulley bone.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad
When my mother fried chicken she always cut the chicken up herself. There was always a fight over the pulley bone.

Same here, but I was usually the one with the pully bone. Never seen chicken cut that way since my Grandmother and Mother passed. One of the few things I never learned from them.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/08/21 11:47 PM

My mother always did a fine job frying quail and making gravy. She did a great job frying deer meat as well. We put at least a dozen deer in the freezer every year. I still prefer my gravy with white bread instead of rice. She could whip up a meal in no time and the kitchen was clean when it hit the table. Wish my wife had picked up on that trick. Pork chops were awesome too. Everything at my house was fried unless it was cooked on the pit growing up.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/09/21 12:43 AM

food Wish i liked cooking I like eating better.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/10/21 02:38 PM

For all of us from back "in the day", our mothers cutting up the whole fryer is a given. She fried in a cast iron skillet. Started by browning each piece, open, on some decent heat. When she got them to the color she wanted as finished, cut the heat and covered. Probably turned once and finished covered. Juicy with a good crusty coating.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/11/21 03:52 AM

Fried chicken
Posted By: PMK

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/11/21 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
For all of us from back "in the day", our mothers cutting up the whole fryer is a given. She fried in a cast iron skillet. Started by browning each piece, open, on some decent heat. When she got them to the color she wanted as finished, cut the heat and covered. Probably turned once and finished covered. Juicy with a good crusty coating.

yep, no telling how many times mom would tell me to go get a chicken and I knew we were having fried chicken (as you described cooking) ... out back, grab one, wring it's neck and pluck, to mom to cut up and cook. how it was done back then.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/11/21 05:09 PM

Every Sunday we had tacos, loved them. She cooked the corn tortillas in hot oil while spinning them, bent them and into a warm oven. Browned hamburger meat and cut up onions, cheese, tomatoes and lettuce. Mighty fine meal with banana pudding for desert, my fav.
Posted By: SRPI89

Re: Favorite Meals Your Mom Use Cook? - 03/12/21 01:21 AM

Not mom, but grandma made smothered pork chops in a pressure cooker. She weighed 95# and that pressure cooker loaded must have weighed 10#. Me, my dad and my uncle could hurt ourselves on those!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum