Texas Hunting Forum

Thisbeers burgers

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Thisbeers burgers - 03/04/21 03:32 PM

Got me thinking. What's your rule for "doneness"?

cook till blood shows on top, flip, then how long?

Thermometer?

Good beef, I like rare

no flipping all the time and no smashing after they are on the cook top?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/04/21 03:47 PM

By looking for a warm pick center. Pass the cheese.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/04/21 04:09 PM

It doesn't take them long. I have a bacon press I use for smash burgers. I also use an IR gun and cook them on my charcoal heated griddle top. I check the griddle top with the IR gun until it's at about 600°f, smash the burgers into the griddle with the bacon press, give it a minute or so, flip, put cheese on top, and pull the meat once the cheese starts to melt.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/04/21 04:20 PM

Smash burgers and a traditional burger are different flavor profiles to me. For me it's what mood am I in on how I want my burger.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/04/21 04:20 PM

This is where my OCD really kicks in. I love all of my meat rare to medium-rare, and nice and juicy. If I know the history of it (my own deer/elk) or good quality steak cuts, I will even go very rare. Hamburger (ground beef) and chicken will probably get you sicker than anything else in the store! I have a great butcher who grinds almost all of their own burger from just a couple cows a day, not from hundreds like you get from the big groceries. Trust your eyes and nose, if it has dyes to make it red again, has a brown center while the outside looks perfect, or smells like anything beside fresh steak, it only gets used for browned meat, and is done well.

Smash burgers are fantastic, but have to be fresh!!!
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/04/21 05:07 PM

Med rare for me.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/04/21 05:08 PM

thin and fast. you can always make doubles. the trick is a HOT griddle. char is everything on a patty. also, and this may be controversial, swiss cheese has no place on a propper burger.

Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/04/21 10:13 PM

Well done for me
Posted By: PMK

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/04/21 10:25 PM

I prefer my steaks to medium rare but hamburgers I prefer medium ... cook until blood shows on top, then flip and cook until juices are clear

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/04/21 11:10 PM

Ketchup is fine on my fries but not on my burgers.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/05/21 01:23 AM

Another note. It also depends on how thin you like to smash them. The ones i did where as thin as you can get and keep them together. There is no way around it they will be well done. I don’t know exactly what it is but they are not dry. A thick burger I like medium. I smash burger I focus on the crust instead of the finish temp. A smash burger all the flavor is in the crust it creates. Give it a try and I think you would be surprised.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/05/21 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Another note. It also depends on how thin you like to smash them. The ones i did where as thin as you can get and keep them together. There is no way around it they will be well done. I don’t know exactly what it is but they are not dry. A thick burger I like medium. I smash burger I focus on the crust instead of the finish temp. A smash burger all the flavor is in the crust it creates. Give it a try and I think you would be surprised.

True. Doneness is irrelevant.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/05/21 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

True. Doneness is irrelevant.

Very True.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/05/21 04:11 AM

I like my burger to make the buns red.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/05/21 04:30 AM

One 1/2" thick burger, rare, cheese on top, smash burger on top of cheese. Heavy mayo on the toasted bun. None of that veggie stuff.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/05/21 11:32 AM

Medium for me!
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/05/21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by BayouGuy
None of that veggie stuff.

I have moved into the world of you can keep the lettuce and tomatoes off my burger.

Re: Thisbeers burgers - 03/05/21 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted by BayouGuy
None of that veggie stuff.

I have moved into the world of you can keep the lettuce and tomatoes off my burger.

Me to except for home grown tomatoes.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum