Texas Hunting Forum

Smash Burgers

Posted By: Thisisbeer

Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 12:34 AM

I’ve always preferred two thin patties to one thick patty. Thin patties get a better sear and flavor in my opinion. Anyone else like smash burgers?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blank

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 12:52 AM

Looks delish!! The real key is to get them cooked, without over doing it, or having them fall apart. Well (as in nicely) done.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 12:52 AM

Yum ! chef
Posted By: Txblklab

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 12:53 AM

Smash burger with a fried egg!
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 12:56 AM

That's why I like Freddy's. I'm like Blank, I have a hard time with them not falling apart or getting too done. That bit of crunch has some really intense flavor. Yours look great.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 01:27 AM

food
Posted By: mbavo

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 01:34 AM

Looks great!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 02:13 AM

Looks fantastic man!

I have still never made thin/smash burgers. Always make thick & juicy.

I am going to try.

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
I’ve always preferred two thin patties to one thick patty. Thin patties get a better sear and flavor in my opinion. Anyone else like smash burgers?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That looks like Colby Jack Cheese and Checker's Fries, I'm liking those fries.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 02:19 AM

Yep. Cast iron and a hot fire. Plus you don’t have to waste a bunch of time forming the patties.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 02:37 AM

Tomorrow is my burger night but not as fancy or yours. Love this beer with mine.

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That looks like Colby Jack Cheese and Checker's Fries, I'm liking those fries.

That’s exactly what it is. Good eye.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 03:25 AM

Looks good!
Posted By: drag13honda

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 04:29 AM

I've only had a smash burger or two from some burger chain and was not too impressed but boy howdy, based off of those pictures, I think that burger would change my mind! eek2

Freddy's is on my list to try, but I still haven't made it to one yet.
Posted By: texfork

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 10:49 AM

Making smash burgers on my Blackstone is my favorite burger .
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 01:29 PM

I like them Sids Diner style with onions smashed in...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
I like them Sids Diner style with onions smashed in...

[Linked Image]

Oh man, now you're talking!
Posted By: Ox190

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 02:46 PM

Love smashburgers, that's the only way I make burgers anymore.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 02:49 PM

We've been cooking them that way since we got a blackstone griddle. They are tasty, best when holes show up when cooking them

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ox190
Love smashburgers, that's the only way I make burgers anymore.

yep. thin and charred.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 06:08 PM

Never had one, but looking at the Oklahoma onion burger. How do you get the patty that thin? Any special method or secret?
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by retfuz
Never had one, but looking at the Oklahoma onion burger. How do you get the patty that thin? Any special method or secret?

You keep it in ball form and literally smash it with a bacon press.

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 06:12 PM

Posted By: Blank

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 07:43 PM

Used to use my heavy bacon press before, it is 5" by 9". Now I have a heavy cast one from Lodge that is 8" round. Does an awesome job!!

[Linked Image]

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 08:10 PM

I use this one. It's a 10x10 from Blackstone. Works really well.
Posted By: SRPI89

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 08:11 PM

Those look incredible. My dad used to take me to the 'South End Grocery" in Sherman when i was a kid and we'd eat a double each. I think they were "smash burgers" before "smash burgers" were a thing. They used to sell hundreds to the Texas Instruments employees almost daily for $1 for a hamburger and $1.50 for a cheeseburger. The best "Smash Burger in Midland is Tank's burgers off of Scarbauer Dr. on the east side of town.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 10:12 PM

Looks great

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/04/21 10:21 PM

Makes me want a griddle.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/05/21 03:24 AM

grill Good job!
Posted By: 1955

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/05/21 11:34 AM

Looks very tasty !
Posted By: Stub

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/06/21 12:30 PM

That is one tasty looking burger food

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/06/21 03:06 PM

I'm going to try that onion burger this weekend.

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/06/21 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad

Same here

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/06/21 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad

Same here

Post up when you do!
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/06/21 10:54 PM

Beautiful
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/09/21 06:23 PM

Here are a few cooked on the Blackstone. Jalapeno American Cheese! [Linked Image]
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/09/21 07:07 PM

Something tells me those burgers tasted incredible.

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/09/21 08:31 PM

Those look great! I made smash burgers for the first time last night, and they were a big hit! I used 75/25 venison/chopped bacon and smashed in onions & jalapenos topped with pepper jack cheese. Put two 1/4 lb patties on some buttered up Texas Toast with fries on the side, oooffa. I just ate another one, and making them again tonight. roflmao

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

First time using Bolner's Hamburger Deluxe Seasoning, been looking at it for years but always blew it off. Man, that is some good stuff! Just seasoned with the Hamburger Deluxe seasoning and Worcestershire. Delicious.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/09/21 09:41 PM

Holy excrement!!!!!!!!!!

They all look good, but damn skinner, I'd make you a good wife if I wasn't straight!

Sheet that looks good! food roflmao

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/09/21 10:44 PM

Thank Red roflmao. You've kinda got all the wrong plumbing for me, too. grin
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/09/21 11:24 PM

I usually don't press my burgers, but I cooked a drive-through burger bar for Mom's church Sunday and speed was essential. They turned out great. thanks

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/10/21 01:47 AM

Man that looks awesome skinnerback

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/10/21 02:20 AM

Its all about the char.

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/10/21 02:26 AM

Thanks bud. Never smashed a burger in my life, but ain't no stoppin' now LOL. I am really impressed with the Oklahoma style onion burger. Different and delicious. All of my life I've been a fan of thick juicy burgers, seasoned a little and delicious. I wish I would have tried this a long time ago.

Despite them being venison and smashed, with the bacon and onions/jalapenos those patties had a nice crust to them (need to do a little better), but they were still very juicy. Flavor was on point. About to make again. grin

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/10/21 02:53 AM

Thanks bud. Never smashed a burger in my life, but ain't no stoppin' now LOL. I am really impressed with the Oklahoma style onion burger. Different and delicious. All of my life I've been a fan of thick juicy burgers, seasoned a little and delicious. I wish I would have tried this a long time ago.

Despite them being venison and smashed, with the bacon and onions/jalapenos those patties had a nice crust to them (need to do a little better), but they were still very juicy. Flavor was on point. About to make again. grin

To be clear, its very regional. They didn't exist in Tulsa. We were very traditional.

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/10/21 03:10 AM

I fixed a couple for me and my son. no pics I was in a hurry. I'll do pics next time. I rolled the patties out first with a rolling pin then froze them so they could cook a little longer. Shaved the onion on a mandoline very thin. Got the Blackstone good and hot and cooked on first side 3 1/2 minutes. Got them good and crisp and flipped. Cooked until the onions were translucent and added American cheese. Toasted the buns. They were great. Thanks for the idea.

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/10/21 03:21 AM

Sounds awesome!

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/10/21 03:25 AM

To be clear, its very regional. They didn't exist in Tulsa. We were very traditional.

I used to stop at Ardmore twice a year, but was always so tired from driving I never stopped anywhere to eat. I hear the Oklahoma Onion Burger is big there.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/10/21 04:07 AM

Those look great! I made smash burgers for the first time last night, and they were a big hit! I used 75/25 venison/chopped bacon and smashed in onions & jalapenos topped with pepper jack cheese. Put two 1/4 lb patties on some buttered up Texas Toast with fries on the side, oooffa. I just ate another one, and making them again tonight. roflmao

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

First time using Bolner's Hamburger Deluxe Seasoning, been looking at it for years but always blew it off. Man, that is some good stuff! Just seasoned with the Hamburger Deluxe seasoning and Worcestershire. Delicious.

That’s what I’m talking about right there.

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/10/21 11:45 AM

First time I had a smash burger was at Herds Burgers in Jacksboro 30 + years ago and they were dayum good, for whatever reason just never thought about doing it at the house, always do the traditional fat & juicy. Will get out the griddle & give it a go up

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/10/21 01:01 PM

I used to stop at Ardmore twice a year, but was always so tired from driving I never stopped anywhere to eat. I hear the Oklahoma Onion Burger is big there.

They originated in El Reno and are all over OKC.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/11/21 02:55 PM

Claud's in Tulsa.

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/11/21 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by retfuz
Claud's in Tulsa.

or Hanks. Clauds is about 2 miles from where I grew up.

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/18/21 04:36 PM

Ran across this video.

Re: Smash Burgers - 03/18/21 08:30 PM

I like Smash Burger. That's some kinda bad hair on that guy. Looks like a bad wig. He needs a hair net.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum