Texas Hunting Forum

Pork fat for sausage

Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Pork fat for sausage - 02/19/21 09:46 PM

When a sausage recipe calls for pork fat what are the best options at a local grocery store? I tried bacon ends but it doesn't seem to taste right.
Posted By: wavygravy

Re: Pork fat for sausage - 02/19/21 09:54 PM

Go to an Asian / Mexican grocery store and pickup pork belly, that or just throw a whole pork butt in there. The pork belly isnt seasoned and is just the right kind of fat you want.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Pork fat for sausage - 02/19/21 09:55 PM

Boston butts or picnics

Occasionally you can buy trimmings, but I do not see them often and they are usually almost as much as buying butts themselves. When i have seen trimmings at HEB they are $1 a lb.
Posted By: Mogombie

Re: Pork fat for sausage - 02/19/21 10:07 PM

Yeah bacon ends is already cured and probably smoked like the Wrights ones. When I make just pork sausage I use pork butts. I buy them as they go on sale typically .99 cents to 1.49 like I have been finding them at Kroger. My dad and I usually make 100lbs at a time. I try to get about 12 of them as close to 10lbs as possible. The shoulder blade typically accounts for about 1.5lbs per butt. I personally think pork butts have the good mixture of fat and meat. Im guessing a 30% fat to 70% meat ratio. Some true meat markets can get you that already ground if you prefer that. You can see some of my videos on making sausage on YouTube at MuddyfeetTV.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Pork fat for sausage - 02/19/21 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by wavygravy
Go to an Asian / Mexican grocery store and pickup pork belly, that or just throw a whole pork butt in there. The pork belly isnt seasoned and is just the right kind of fat you want.

Bought one at Hess meats in Munster last week for making bacon. Was 13 lbs and $54.00, pricy but I needed one.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Pork fat for sausage - 02/19/21 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Boston butts or picnics

Occasionally you can buy trimmings, but I do not see them often and they are usually almost as much as buying butts themselves. When i have seen trimmings at HEB they are $1 a lb.

This and more pork than venison. The pork will cost your less in the long run if you do the math.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Pork fat for sausage - 02/19/21 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by redchevy
Boston butts or picnics

This and more pork than venison. The pork will cost your less in the long run if you do the math.

That might depend on how fat you like your sausage, I like it leaner than most so use 25% pork to 75% deer, I have gone as high as 50/50 allso depending on how lean the pork is.
Posted By: JRSUSMC94

Re: Pork fat for sausage - 02/20/21 07:01 AM

Often times recipes are referring to fatback, but I can't really find that at any big box stores.

I've used beef brisket before, but it's not quite as mild as pork. Kinda drowns out the venison taste in my opinion. I like it (brisket) in burgers.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Pork fat for sausage - 02/20/21 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
When a sausage recipe calls for pork fat what are the best options at a local grocery store? I tried bacon ends but it doesn't seem to taste right.

If you don't like the taste of the bacon ends & pieces yes, you could buy pork belly but it's expensive now just like brisket, fajitas, beef cheek, & shrimp.

I used to go to my local butcher and ask for pork fat trimmings for sausage. Sometimes they have a lug or two handy, sometimes they need to trim some more meat to get you some. Pork fat also used to be real cheap, last two times I bought it though it was quite a bit higher.

If you're not killing fat pigs, pork butts are your best option. Like mentioned previously, catch them on sale if you can. Sometimes I need to trim fat off of them though or will be too greasy for me.

Also, it may not be the bacon ends & pieces that makes your sausage not taste right. Could be something else. I personally like using ends & pieces but adjust the % depending on what's going on.

What did you make, how did you do it?
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Pork fat for sausage - 02/20/21 12:53 PM

Walmart has pork belly.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Pork fat for sausage - 02/20/21 01:49 PM

I've usually ground butts in with it at about 60/40 venison to pork but HEB also sold me beef fat and pork fat last year. I just talked to the butcher.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Pork fat for sausage - 02/22/21 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by greenen
I've usually ground butts in with it at about 60/40 venison to pork but HEB also sold me beef fat and pork fat last year. I just talked to the butcher.

Must vary by store, i have asked the local ones and they say no.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Pork fat for sausage - 02/22/21 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by greenen

I hit my HEB up for beef fat for my venison ground, I always like to see peoples faces when I ask for it when they are in an ear shot.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Pork fat for sausage - 02/22/21 02:37 PM

I always talk to the butcher, usually it depends on what they have on hand or what flavor you’re trying to get.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Pork fat for sausage - 02/22/21 09:01 PM

Listen to Red Chevy here. Don't listen to Bill.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum