Posted By: MathGeek

How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/12/21 01:32 PM

Posted By: rickym

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/12/21 04:01 PM

Is this your video?
I thought that’s how everyone does it?
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/12/21 04:25 PM

Electric filet knife is the only way to go.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/12/21 04:26 PM

Somebody else.
Posted By: 1955

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/12/21 04:38 PM

Works for me bounce
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/12/21 04:50 PM

Never seen it done any other way. Electric knife FTW, too.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/12/21 04:54 PM

I cut around the rib bones instead of cutting through. I also use a real knife not electric. Never have liked electric knives for cleaning fish or much of anything for that matter.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/12/21 05:40 PM

Duh.
Posted By: rickym

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/12/21 06:47 PM

I use electric if I have over 15 fish, otherwise I’m rockin a fixed blade
Posted By: kdub

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/12/21 06:55 PM

Electric is faster. I like to leave the fillet attached by a little skin at the end of the tail, flip over and fillet off from the skin, then trim out the ribs.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/12/21 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
I cut around the rib bones instead of cutting through. I also use a real knife not electric. Never have liked electric knives for cleaning fish or much of anything for that matter.

Electric knife is stupid fast for cleaning trout, can clean a limit quick with no waste. A lot of the guides around here use them for cleaning all of their fish, but I still like using a regular filet knife on reds/sheepshead/flounder/snapper etc.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/12/21 09:04 PM

i use same method but with a bubba blade. Used electric knife for years till I saw the Buuba Blade in action. All I use now.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/12/21 09:12 PM

American Angler is what I use and go through the rib cage and cut It out later. Easy peasy.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/12/21 10:30 PM

No electric for me. I'm pretty handy with a fillet knife.

We scaled them when I was growing up.
Posted By: Stub

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/12/21 11:06 PM

up
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/13/21 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Huntmaster
Electric filet knife is the only way to go.
Posted By: Blank

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/13/21 12:38 AM

Haha. You guys who say you only use a knife probably don't have 70 year old hands, with arthritis knuckles!! The advances in electric knives are amazing, and I use it for almost everything except big redfish and flounder. Nothing ruins an electric knife faster than those giant back scales, and tough rib bones on reds. A razor sharp, heavy blade is still my go to for them guys.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/13/21 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by kdub
Electric is faster. I like to leave the fillet attached by a little skin at the end of the tail, flip over and fillet off from the skin, then trim out the ribs.

Ditto......And on Sandies and Stripers with the nasty red meat we have an assembly line. I do the above and hand the filets off to my wife to trim out the red.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/13/21 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Blank
Haha. You guys who say you only use a knife probably don't have 70 year old hands, with arthritis knuckles!! The advances in electric knives are amazing, and I use it for almost everything except big redfish and flounder. Nothing ruins an electric knife faster than those giant back scales, and tough rib bones on reds. A razor sharp, heavy blade is still my go to for them guys.

Yeppers. I started using an electric knife on trout when I was 16, but went that rout for speed. Took a little getting used to vs a regular filet knife at first, but in no time I could clean a limit of specks (used to be 10 here bang) in 5 minutes. Filet/cut out ribs/rinsed & bagged/done. Everything else still gets the regular knife though.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/13/21 03:33 PM

Electric knife. Best one out there from the money and reliability is the Black & Decker for $15.00 at Wally world.
Posted By: jpks1112

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/15/21 01:22 AM

Agreed..
Posted By: MathGeek

Re: How to Fillet Crappie Quickly - 02/15/21 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by rickym
Is this your video?
I thought that’s how everyone does it?

Yep, my video. You'd be surprised how many young anglers haven't had anyone to teach them.

All the variations discussed here are fine, but I'm giving the less experienced anglers a place to start.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum