Texas Hunting Forum

Hi temp cheese vs regular cheese

Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Hi temp cheese vs regular cheese - 01/20/21 10:41 PM

With the axis that I took this weekend I am going to dabble in some small batch link sausage ranging in a variety of flavors. With that being said has anyone compared to how regular cheese does in link sausage vs hi temp cheese? This will be kept as fresh sausage and I will put some smoke on them, prior to freezing.

Thanks
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Hi temp cheese vs regular cheese - 01/20/21 11:21 PM

Yes Sir I have. I prefer high temp cheese in link sausage. I like the flavor of the fresh cheese a little better, but it always melts away too much for my liking by the time it's cooked.

How much smoke are you going to put on them?

Re: Hi temp cheese vs regular cheese - 01/20/21 11:56 PM

Yeah that’s what I have been reading about regular cheese.

In regards to the smoke, I’m not sure yet, I don’t plan on making any until February/March. So I have ample time to plan and figure out recipes.

Re: Hi temp cheese vs regular cheese - 01/21/21 12:08 AM

up
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Hi temp cheese vs regular cheese - 01/22/21 06:51 AM

I've used regular cheese with some fair results. In my opinion you'll be more pleased with the high temp variety. Keep us posted on how they come out.

Re: Hi temp cheese vs regular cheese - 01/22/21 06:58 AM

I'm thinking about mixing high temp with sharp or extra sharp cheddar. C what happens.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Hi temp cheese vs regular cheese - 01/22/21 02:32 PM

Got my interest up, and will follow to see what you come up with. I really like several of the higher temp grilling cheeses, either on the grill or frying pan. I looked up what was available, and found this.

https://www.lemproducts.com/category/high-temp-cheese

Re: Hi temp cheese vs regular cheese - 01/22/21 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by SouthWestIron
I've used regular cheese with some fair results. In my opinion you'll be more pleased with the high temp variety. Keep us posted on how they come out.

The one cheese I am going to try off the shelf if gruyere, it's a little bit of a harder cheese so it hopefully will hold better. The other softer cheeses I think I'll go the hi temp route.

Originally Posted by Blank
Got my interest up, and will follow to see what you come up with. I really like several of the higher temp grilling cheeses, either on the grill or frying pan. I looked up what was available, and found this.

https://www.lemproducts.com/category/high-temp-cheese

I think I am going to go with WaltonsInc, you can buy 1lb at a time, since this is all experiment at this time I don't want to invest a lot up front.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hi temp cheese vs regular cheese - 01/22/21 07:02 PM

We started with just sharp cheddar. Not a big fan of it for grilling sausage, it melts and you wind up with a grilled sausage link with empty pockets where your cheese use to be. The high temp does a pretty good job. Grilled some last night with hi temp and it was good. I looked up a recipe for how much cheese to put in the sausage, thought it sounded like a lot so I cut the amount in half. I personally feel like the sausage still has too much cheese in it and will cut the ratio again.

The recipe I looked at called for 10 lb of cheese for a 50 lb batch of sausage. I put 5 founds and think it was too much.

Re: Hi temp cheese vs regular cheese - 01/22/21 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
We started with just sharp cheddar. Not a big fan of it for grilling sausage, it melts and you wind up with a grilled sausage link with empty pockets where your cheese use to be. The high temp does a pretty good job. Grilled some last night with hi temp and it was good. I looked up a recipe for how much cheese to put in the sausage, thought it sounded like a lot so I cut the amount in half. I personally feel like the sausage still has too much cheese in it and will cut the ratio again.

The recipe I looked at called for 10 lb of cheese for a 50 lb batch of sausage. I put 5 founds and think it was too much.

Thanks for that info, the Waltons website suggests 1lb of cheese per 10lbs of meat.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Hi temp cheese vs regular cheese - 01/22/21 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted by redchevy

Thanks for that info, the Waltons website suggests 1lb of cheese per 10lbs of meat.

I use 2lbs of cheese/30 lbs of meat.
Posted By: decook

Re: Hi temp cheese vs regular cheese - 01/22/21 11:08 PM

The best you can do with regular is cold smoke the links for as long as you want, then seal them up and sous vide VERY SLOW over time to pasteurize and set the meat. But, most of us put sausage in a 200-225F smoker and it melts. Setting the meat helps somewhat, but like everyone else sez... high temp is best.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Hi temp cheese vs regular cheese - 01/23/21 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by decook
The best you can do with regular is cold smoke the links for as long as you want, then seal them up and sous vide VERY SLOW over time to pasteurize and set the meat. But, most of us put sausage in a 200-225F smoker and it melts. Setting the meat helps somewhat, but like everyone else sez... high temp is best.

I'll be the outlier and say I like regular cubed sharp cheddar. If you can keep the smoker at 180°f-200°f the cheese will melt, but not separate and render into the meat. So you get these great cheese pockets in the sausage that everyone loves. It's absolutely my favorite way to do sausage. If I'm going to long smoke it, I will use regular cubed up sharp cheddar. If I'm going to grill it, I will use high temp cheese.

Re: Hi temp cheese vs regular cheese - 01/23/21 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Originally Posted by decook

I'll be the outlier and say I like regular cubed sharp cheddar. If you can keep the smoker at 180°f-200°f the cheese will melt, but not separate and render into the meat. So you get these great cheese pockets in the sausage that everyone loves. It's absolutely my favorite way to do sausage. If I'm going to long smoke it, I will use regular cubed up sharp cheddar. If I'm going to grill it, I will use high temp cheese.

The cooking applications will be grilled and smoked, it will all depend on the mood the day the pit is fired up. I am ordering different hi temp cheeses today.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Hi temp cheese vs regular cheese - 01/24/21 12:44 AM

If your going to grill it go high temp. If not the cheese will render out completely and you won’t see any in the finished product.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum