Texas Hunting Forum

Liver and Heart

Posted By: WestTN_TX

Liver and Heart - 01/02/21 06:47 PM

I tend to enjoy my time in the kitchen just as much as I do in the woods and am always looking for a few new recipes. My wife got me Michael Hunters' cookbook The Hunter Chef Cookbook for Christmas (I recommend it), so I tried one of the liver recipes (I didn't feel like running to the grocery store on NYE, so I just grabbed some of her frozen berries that she uses in her breakfast smoothies). I'm sure following the recipe (grapes) for the glaze would have been a bit better and paired better with the liver, but oh well. Still was great.

I did soak the liver for about 8 hours in salt water in the fridge and then another 12 or so hours in two separate milk baths in the fridge. I've always enjoyed heart, but I'm not a big liver person.

If y'all have any additional tips and pointers, please share them!

First, the sauteed liver with raspberry and blueberry glaze.

[Linked Image]

Next up was a bit of a more traditional recipe...Cajun dirty rice with deer liver instead of chicken liver and gizzards.

[Linked Image]

Last, the Whiskey Butter Venison Heart recipe from MeatEater. Very good! I'll certainly try the rub (coffee, thyme, brown sugar, kosher salt, and black pepper) on other cuts of meat.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blank

Re: Liver and Heart - 01/02/21 06:53 PM

Sorry, not everyone feels the same. I do believe in completely utilizing all my deer, but guts is guts!! What a terrible waste of onions and bacon, but my hunting partner loves them so I save every one for her. smile. As for me, I don't even know why God put the tenderloins in the same area!! Haha.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Liver and Heart - 01/02/21 07:00 PM

I’m a huge fan of hearts....but can’t stand, and won’t eat liver
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Liver and Heart - 01/02/21 07:24 PM

Never eaten either one but dang if that don’t look awesome!!!
Posted By: WestTN_TX

Re: Liver and Heart - 01/02/21 07:25 PM

I hear both of y'all on the liver. I've always pulled hearts (when not destroyed), but this is the first time I grabbed the liver - Mainly because I found a recipe that I thought would maybe be okay. The berry glaze did a lot to disguise the taste, but the texture and after taste was still there. The wife enjoyed it, so I reckon I'll be doing this more often. lol
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Liver and Heart - 01/02/21 07:26 PM

Had it when growing up. Liked it fine.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Liver and Heart - 01/02/21 07:28 PM

I love rice.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Liver and Heart - 01/02/21 07:33 PM

welcome

Food looks great! I love heart and I especially love liver.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Liver and Heart - 01/02/21 07:37 PM

My momma made fried liver once a week, hated it. She forced me to eat that nasty stuff. Told me when I left home I could eat what I want. Been on my own ever since I was 10! I don’t eat liver.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Liver and Heart - 01/02/21 09:31 PM

Lubys cafeteria had liver and onions as a weekly special.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Liver and Heart - 01/02/21 10:07 PM

My mom made liver for us fairly often, and I learned to like it around 65 or more years ago. I occasionally cook up some myself, using the same recipe she always used. I cook up a bunch of bacon, and mix up some flour and garlic salt. I roll the liver in the flour and cook it up well done in the bacon grease. Very good eating !!
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Liver and Heart - 01/02/21 10:25 PM

I love chicken liver, deer hearts, dove hearts, but will not do deer or beef liver
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Liver and Heart - 01/02/21 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
I’m a huge fan of hearts....but can’t stand, and won’t eat liver

food
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Liver and Heart - 01/02/21 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

How would you know. We all know only old people went to Luby`s Bill.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Liver and Heart - 01/03/21 01:07 AM

I like liver it just depends on what I’m doing with it. Foie gras is amazing, I enjoy fried chicken liver, deer or beef liver I prefer in rice or boudin. The bigger the game, the less it gets utilized in a recipe.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Liver and Heart - 01/03/21 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by TPACK
Originally Posted by bill oxner

How would you know. We all know only old people went to Luby`s Bill.

Now Now! Lol
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum