Texas Hunting Forum

Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having???

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/17/20 05:07 PM

Bills going to have delicious ham , then be set with great leftovers and bean stock.

Think I'll do a bone in Prime rib Roast, Yorkshire Pudding (parents were from Connecticut). Yellow corn pudding, mashed potatoes, NOT MashTaters, there's a difference. HAHA JK !!!

Gravy from pan drippings, get all those "num-nums" off the bottom of the roasting pan......

USDA Choice ANGUS or maybe Prime but there's a ton of fat in this cut already.

NEXT ???
Posted By: Blank

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/17/20 05:20 PM

GrandMa said Prime Rib, and she's buying. No arguments here!!
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/17/20 05:37 PM

Haven't thought about it till now. Been a lot going on at the house.
Posted By: TSU99

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/17/20 05:40 PM

Going to Louisiana and be with family, and eat a bunch of stuff that will set my tail pipe on fire.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/17/20 05:48 PM

Hopefully, we will have different kinds of Tex-Mex dish`s. We spent last Christmas Eve and Christmas day in Dallas because my grandson was in UT Southwestern Medical Center for almost 3 weeks.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/17/20 06:03 PM

Ham, turkey, cherry pie, sweet potatoes, and other goodies from my neighbors.

The ham reminds me of an old food stamp story. The cashier said, I'm sorry you can't get dog food with the stamps. The shopper replied, that's okay the dog likes ham better anyway.. bolt
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/17/20 06:21 PM

We’re doing something different this year, we’re cooking filets and ribeyes since we’re all burnt out on the regular stuff. It may be a one time deal but we’re giving it a shot.
Posted By: HogNut

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/17/20 06:31 PM

USDA Prime rib roast with horseradish cream sauce
Green bean almandine
Cheese potato casserole topped with corn flakes
Salad
An assortment of pies

Breakfast is also a big deal in my family and we have the same thing every year

3 different quiche's
bacon
venison sausage
vegetable
Monkey bread 1 recipe with pecans and one without for the one person with alergies
fruit salad

Cant wait!

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/17/20 06:52 PM

yall makin me hungry.

Its okay Jimbo1, you have earned a day to be waited on !!!
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/17/20 08:12 PM

Lamb Osso Bucco using the MeatEater recipe.
Posted By: leamonka

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/17/20 08:58 PM

Prime Rib and mashed potatoes.

Would love to hear some of ya'lls recipes for prime rib in the oven.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/17/20 09:22 PM

Ribeyes.

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/17/20 09:24 PM

Too many choices. I like all the above. That is what Christmas is all about.

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/17/20 09:40 PM

leamonka: There are so many great ways to cook them, and as many temps and methods as you can imagine..... I have done them in ovens, roaster ovens, Dutch ovens, rotisserie out of an oil drum, and even a crock pot once. Had a good sale on them at the grocery today, so picked up several different sizes. I will do a traditional one on X-Mas, but gonna do a different one this weekend too.

Anyone here ever cooked theirs frozen?? Sounds weird, but comes out great for just two or three people!!
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/17/20 11:09 PM

Catered que from 407
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/18/20 01:17 AM

Going with the traditional prime rib again this year. Always one of my favorite meals.
Posted By: stillhntr

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/18/20 01:26 AM

Tex mex and Q. Enchiladas, frijoles, Quail tamales. wild pig on the smoker And lots of beer !
Posted By: Giblett

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/18/20 02:11 AM

Possibly ham but thinking if I can catch a mess of crappie next week could be a fish fry but the wife liked the idea of boudan stuffed pork chops. Will still cook a ham got to have it for the peas and greens for new years.

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/18/20 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Blank
leamonka: There are so many great ways to cook them, and as many temps and methods as you can imagine..... I have done them in ovens, roaster ovens, Dutch ovens, rotisserie out of an oil drum, and even a crock pot once. Had a good sale on them at the grocery today, so picked up several different sizes. I will do a traditional one on X-Mas, but gonna do a different one this weekend too.

Anyone here ever cooked theirs frozen?? Sounds weird, but comes out great for just two or three people!!

K I S S
Posted By: leamonka

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/18/20 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

K I S S

Thank you Blank and Buzzsaw. Going to try the 5 minutes per pound at 500, then shut off and don't open the oven door for 2 hrs.

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/18/20 02:12 PM

The brown the outside method works good for a nice 4-6# roast for me. That's how I usually do it also.

I really have an advantage when it comes to baking, especially for large dinners. We have the regular oven on the range in the kitchen, then have a double oven mounted in the garage, right outside the door. I get all sorts of things going at different temps all the time!!!
Posted By: janie

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/18/20 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by TSU99
Going to eat a bunch of stuff that will set my tail pipe on fire.

roflmao

Our son ordered que, rib's, jalapeno sausage from Tender's in Celina. We'll be chowing down with them at their place Christmas Day. Should be a butt burner.

roflmao
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/18/20 02:43 PM

I did one two years ago in the smoker. Piled the wood on and cranked it up to about 450. It was fantastic. I might do it again this year
Posted By: reeder05

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/18/20 03:23 PM

Everybody has their own way, but I have perfected my prime rib to the likings of my family.

3-4 rib roast on my Easy Bake Oven for men, low and slow at 225° over mesquite pellets.

This should take 2.5 to 3 hours until the center gets to 125° IT. Then pull.

Crank up the heat to 500° with the sear grates on. 2-3 mins on each side to get good grill marks which builds to the crust.

Mouth is watering just thinking about it!!
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/18/20 04:42 PM

Ribeye cap steaks with baked potatoes and all the trimmings.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/18/20 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by reeder05
Everybody has their own way, but I have perfected my prime rib to the likings of my family.

3-4 rib roast on my Easy Bake Oven for men, low and slow at 225° over mesquite pellets.

This should take 2.5 to 3 hours until the center gets to 125° IT. Then pull.

Crank up the heat to 500° with the sear grates on. 2-3 mins on each side to get good grill marks which builds to the crust.

Mouth is watering just thinking about it!!

This is definitely my favorite way as well.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/19/20 12:19 AM

I'll double smoke a couple of non-spiral hams with bone in on the Pit Barrel over charcoal and pecan chunks. I'll spritz with pineapple juice most likely, gives it a good caramel look The hams will have Slices of pineapple and cherries stuck to them. It's a hit every time I do it that way. I have to tell the tribe to at least save the bones for the dogs. 4 boys and their wives, 14 grandchildren and 2 greats. Prolly have tater salad and beans along with corn salad. All the deserts of course.
Posted By: cm250

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/19/20 09:40 PM

Chicken fried backstrap with onions in butter flavored crisco oil in electric skillet and bacon wrapped tenderloin on the grill. Stuffing, baked potatoes, and fried okra.

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/19/20 10:18 PM

Home run. cheers
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/19/20 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by cm250
Chicken fried backstrap with onions in butter flavored crisco oil in electric skillet and bacon wrapped tenderloin on the grill. Stuffing, baked potatoes, and fried okra.

Sounds good
Posted By: PMK

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/21/20 04:36 PM

kids/spouses/grandkids coming in Sunday and staying thru Thursday or Friday, so I got a lot of planning, prepping and cooking ahead of me. Brother in law/sister in law will be here a couple of days in the middle.

some of the main dishes:
3-4 bone in Rib roast to medium rare
spiral cut ham / turkey for main Christmas meal with entire family, likely Tuesday of next week.
fried venison, taters, gravy
beef enchiladas, Spanish rice, beans, guacamole
stuffed & bacon wrapped pork loin
beef, chicken, venison fajitas
maybe a brisket since I will have my smoker rolling.
hand made hamburgers

plus several large breakfast casseroles
Posted By: 7mag

Re: Christmas Dinner, Its next week !!! Whatchall having??? - 12/22/20 01:43 AM

Im cooking Christmas eve meal which will consist of:

Asado-pork stew meat in red chili sauce
Menudo-yep inards and hominy
Tamales
Asaderos with green chili
Rice
Beans
Tortillas