Texas Hunting Forum

Gumbo

Posted By: bill oxner

Gumbo - 12/09/20 10:43 PM

Finally. If you're not first you're last. Sausage, turkey, shrimp, oyster gumbo, over rice, and topped with a green onion.. What else?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Gumbo - 12/09/20 10:46 PM

Maybe a roux?

Re: Gumbo - 12/09/20 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Maybe a roux?

Its covered up by fixings. I used a cup and half of oil and flower browned to a little over medium.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Gumbo - 12/09/20 11:21 PM

Looks good, but needs some black pepper
Posted By: Chopperdrvr

Re: Gumbo - 12/10/20 12:48 AM

Well, if you are from the Atchafalaya basin, you would need a large spoonful of potato salad sitting on top, or if not, a nice piece (think large) of buttered french bread and you are good to go.
Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: Gumbo - 12/10/20 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chopperdrvr
Well, if you are from the Atchafalaya basin, you would need a large spoonful of potato salad sitting on top, or if not, a nice piece (think large) of buttered french bread and you are good to go.

^^^^^
That is so true!!
Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: Gumbo - 12/10/20 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Maybe a roux?

Its covered up by fixings. I used a cup and half of oil and flower browned to a little over medium.

Most roux’s that are in gumbo are very dark brown, just sayin
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Gumbo - 12/10/20 07:00 PM

Definitely missing some hot sauce.

Re: Gumbo - 12/10/20 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
Definitely missing some hot sauce.

I put cayenne in there. Its my go to pepper.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Gumbo - 12/11/20 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chopperdrvr

The cafeteria where I retired from hired a chef/manager who was a Cajun and he would make Gumbo Boats and Etouffee Boats. They took French Bread, cut in half, hollowed out then filled with which ever filling they made that week. You had to be early to get some at first, then they found out they could sell any leftovers the next day. It was a sad day when he moved on to another place.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum