Texas Hunting Forum

Question About Cooking Catfish

Posted By: BbarVRanch

Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 02:13 PM

I raise hybrid catfish in my pond here at the ranch.

I feed them of course, with quality catfish food.

I had a neighbor come catch a good sized mess of them. And when I saw him yesterday, I asked him how the fish were...

He said they were no good. He stated that they cooked up real pretty, but had no "fish flavor"... They weren't "fishy" enough.

Frankly, I didn't know what to tell him. I have eaten fish from the pond, and they tasted fine to me...

Am I missing something?
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 02:20 PM

Don't think you're missing anything.

He probly has Covid and lost his sense of taste.

I'm not a big fan of catfish, but the best catfish I have ever eaten were farm/pond raised and fed high protein dog food. Way better than any I've eaten from rivers or lakes. I don't like fishy fish.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 02:21 PM

I always feel like farm raised fish do not taste quite right to me, almost bland compared to what wild fish are. You feeding them out of a bag would essentially make them similar to farm raised. Store bought catfish is weird and not as appealing to me as what we catch in the creeks rivers and lakes.

Just like the trout that are released by parks and wildlife, i quit taking the kids to catch them because the taste like carp.
Posted By: janie

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 02:28 PM

Honestly, I would've told him to fish elsewhere. Gosh dangit, someone gives me permission to fish their tank, I'm gonna do something nice for them, and not gripe about the quality.

Anyway, when it comes to tabby cat's, we no longer keep anything over 2 pounds. Fillet all. Rinse well. Season with Tony's, then drizzle butter while they're on the grill. Haven't had a bad one yet.

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by janie
Honestly, I would've told him to fish elsewhere. Gosh dangit, someone gives me permission to fish their tank, I'm gonna do something nice for them, and not gripe about the quality.

That's right, LOL.

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

That's right, LOL.

I do agree with that also.

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 02:36 PM

That's right, LOL.

smile

Yeah, I have some pretty good fish in there!

[Linked Image]

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 02:47 PM

NICE!!!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 02:50 PM

NICE!!!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 02:55 PM

I like my chicken fried. Fish too.

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

No other way!

Always heard that catfish taste "too fishy" if over a certain weight. I've not seen that with these fish.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 03:05 PM

Growing up in Georgia, all of our catfish were caught out of red dirt creeks. Grandma thought they were terrible, unless my Grandpa put them in the stock watering trough for a couple days. Cooked with love and hot grease, I always thought they were wonderful!!
Posted By: Giblett

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 04:51 PM

Nice fish one of the tricks of good tasting fish is washing them after filleting a and or skinning. I catch a lot of fish out of patman and the pines and some out of cypress creek. You need a large pan or tub filled with water and throw fish in after cleaning and with water hose with a good nozzle on straight stream spray into pan while rolling fish around with other hand water will foam up some that is fat and oil off of fish keep washing until water is clear and if catfish have a lol red or grey on fillets trim this off this will not taste good after cooking. This works good on store bought fish also. Cooked a 16 lb blue from Tawakoni Sunday night and it tasted fine just took the time to clean it properly and wash it good. And now hooked on catching them big blues wife caught a 48 and I got a 49 was a lot of fun we turned those back in water.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 07:52 PM

wtf If he wants nasty fishy tasting fish tell him the Trinity river provides his quality of fish. loco

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by BbarVRanch
Originally Posted by bill oxner

No other way!

Always heard that catfish taste "too fishy" if over a certain weight. I've not seen that with these fish.

I've eaten catfish up to 82 pounds and too many to count between 20 pounds and that. Fish are much like deer, how they eat has a lot to do with how they are handled. Keep them cold, clean them well, trim all red meat, skin, fat off etc. We use to do a fish fry at our church two times a year for a couple hundred people, fish was all caught in local creeks lakes etc. never had a complaint on anything from just over legal size to big 20+ pounds. The bigger ones take more trimming work and cutting into frying sized pieces, but when done right are good too.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 08:50 PM

I always think it’s about the cleaning; with that in mine, was he trying to say he likes that “catfish” flavor? I don’t know how to express it, but like cooking dove, I like the grill and bacon way, but I also like that wild flavor of doves fried. Some people hate it.
Posted By: bear64

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 10:32 PM

shame on you for not cleaning cooking and eating the fish for your neighbor.
I mean he went through all the hard work of catching your fish for you lmao

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/08/20 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by bear64
shame on you for not cleaning cooking and eating the fish for your neighbor.
I mean he went through all the hard work of catching your fish for you lmao

laugh

Yeah, it kinda pizzed me off that my fish weren't good enough for him.

How dare I?

I have come to the conclusion that no good deed goes unpunished. whip
Posted By: bear64

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/09/20 12:35 AM

lol
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/09/20 12:55 AM

What catfish eat influences how they taste. I hate those muddy tasting filets. Farm raised like the OP's are the best in my opinion.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/09/20 01:11 AM

He was trying to keep you from eating your own fish. Don’t believe that bullsht.

I’ve cooked a lot of fish for a lot of folks and never had anyone complain that they weren’t FISHY enough.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/09/20 01:13 AM

have ya talked to him since? he mite be pullin yur leg?
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/09/20 01:32 AM

Channel cat usually has a muddy taste, at least from the waters I fish. (west of FW). Blues and flatheads tend to taste less muddy to me. Catfish from lakes like Kirby or Arrowhead are going to taste different for sure!

Depends on what they eat!
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/09/20 01:33 AM

Those are some nice looking kitties!
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/14/20 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by BbarVRanch

That's right, LOL.

smile

Yeah, I have some pretty good fish in there!

[Linked Image]

Now that's a mess of fish!
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Question About Cooking Catfish - 12/17/20 01:24 PM

I have had good farm raised catfish before but then again I've had some before that tasted like the feed they eat and thats not very good lol
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum