Texas Hunting Forum

Deer Stew

Posted By: skinnerback

Deer Stew - 12/07/20 08:12 PM

Been the perfect weather for it, especially since my central heat & air is out downstairs....nothing like firing up a 3 gallon cast iron pot to warm the house up. clap

Hind quarter roast meat, cubed & seasoned.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Onions browning with some celery.

[Linked Image]

Thick & hearty, good & spicy. Added onions, garlic, potatoes, celery, diced tomatoes, Rotel, corn, peas, green beans, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, & some homemade smoked deer sausage.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Blank

Re: Deer Stew - 12/07/20 08:18 PM

Hearty is right on, that will be some serious stew!!!

Re: Deer Stew - 12/07/20 08:29 PM

Simmered all night and ready for the final seasoning, and to make a skillet of cornbread. Meat is tender.

[Linked Image]

This pot's been on the stove simmering slow for a few days now. The fam just grabs a bowl or two whenever they're ready to eat. It's cooked down quite a bit after a few days and that juice is REALLY good. I just ate another bowl topped with some dried/crushed chiltepines that I picked, just the way Dad taught me when I was a boy. There's only enough left for a few more bowls, then it's time to cook something else!

[Linked Image]

Thank for lookin'.

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Deer Stew - 12/07/20 09:30 PM

It's that time of the year.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Deer Stew - 12/07/20 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

This pot's been on the stove simmering slow for a few days now. The fam just grabs a bowl or two whenever they're ready to eat. It's cooked down quite a bit after a few days and that juice is REALLY good. I just ate another bowl topped with some dried/crushed chiltepines that I picked, just the way Dad taught me when I was a boy. There's only enough left for a few more bowls, then it's time to cook something else!

Simmering for a few days? I've never done that. Sounds really intriguing. I did a quick google search and found it's called perpetual stew or hunters stew. Along with the excerpt below.

A perpetual stew was maintained in Perpignan from the 15th century until World War II.

Between August 2014 and April 2015, a New York restaurant served broth from the same perpetual stew (a master stock) for over eight months.

Wattan Panich restaurant in Bangkok, Thailand, has continued to maintain the broth from the same perpetual stew for over 46 years (as of 2020).

Man I bet that packs some flavor.

Re: Deer Stew - 12/07/20 09:40 PM

Yes Sir! After a few days of simmering that broth is money. Just keeps getting better. This pot has been on since Friday night.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Deer Stew - 12/07/20 10:10 PM

If you don’t find a good wife in the next couple years I’ll divorce SpitFire and marry you.... flehan

All kidding aside, you’re killing it! Blessed to have you as my friend! 2cents

Re: Deer Stew - 12/07/20 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
If you don’t find a good wife in the next couple years I’ll divorce SpitFire and marry you.... flehan

All kidding aside, you’re killing it! Blessed to have you as my friend! 2cents

LOL, thank you Sir and the feeling is mutual. Glad you're back home. Enjoy!
Posted By: mbavo

Re: Deer Stew - 12/08/20 01:02 AM

Heck yeah
Looks delicious
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Deer Stew - 12/08/20 01:04 AM

Oh Son! Heck yeah! I'd hurt myself on that.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Deer Stew - 12/08/20 03:01 AM

Man that looks good. Going to have to try some of that myself.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Deer Stew - 12/08/20 05:37 AM

Damn son.... That looks amazing food
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Deer Stew - 12/08/20 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

Simmering for a few days? I've never done that. Sounds really intriguing. I did a quick google search and found it's called perpetual stew or hunters stew. Along with the excerpt below.

A perpetual stew was maintained in Perpignan from the 15th century until World War II.

Between August 2014 and April 2015, a New York restaurant served broth from the same perpetual stew (a master stock) for over eight months.

Wattan Panich restaurant in Bangkok, Thailand, has continued to maintain the broth from the same perpetual stew for over 46 years (as of 2020).

I’ve got a family members in southern Louisiana that is a chef at a restaurant, they’ve had the gumbo simmering for over 6 months.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Deer Stew - 12/08/20 12:33 PM

food

Re: Deer Stew - 12/08/20 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

I’ve got a family members in southern Louisiana that is a chef at a restaurant, they’ve had the gumbo simmering for over 6 months.

I bet that’s some good stuff!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Deer Stew - 12/08/20 03:16 PM

Oh heck yes, love me some hearty stew food
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum