Texas Hunting Forum

Wild Hog Jambalaya

Posted By: Sparta

Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/16/20 04:52 PM

Was bored on Saturday so I decided to make a Jambalaya with a ham from one of the hogs I shot last week. Kids tore it up and I have some leftovers for a ranch trip.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/16/20 04:55 PM

looks damn good!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/16/20 04:55 PM

Looks great. Would.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/16/20 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
looks damn good!

food
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/16/20 06:17 PM

That looks great. I love wild pig! food
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/16/20 08:25 PM

YES!! Someone who knows how to make jambalaya (of course you do)!

Looks perfect. food

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/16/20 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

Looks perfect. food

Much appreciated! My stepmom taught me everything I know about Cajun cooking. Although, she liked tomatoes and tomato paste in her jambalaya but I think it ruins it.

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/16/20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sparta

Looks perfect. food

Much appreciated! My stepmom taught me everything I know about Cajun cooking. Although, she liked tomatoes and tomato paste in her jambalaya but I think it ruins it.

I agree with you on that.

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/16/20 09:18 PM

Looks perfect. food

I don't mind a can of rotel, but nothing beyond that. use it in my gumbo too,

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/16/20 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

Looks perfect. food

I don't mind a can of rotel, but nothing beyond that. use it in my gumbo too,

That's all good in Creole Country, they use lots of tomatoes in their gumbos etc.....just don't use tomatoes in your jambalaya or gumbo and call it Cajun LOL. Real Cajuns will skin you for that, trust me. roflmao

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/17/20 01:09 AM

Well I'm an okie, so... cheers
Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/17/20 02:25 AM

tomatoes is the difference between creole and Cajun jambalaya, definitely no tomato’s in Cajun jambalaya, and that jambalaya looks great

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/17/20 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pupjoint
tomatoes is the difference between creole and Cajun jambalaya, definitely no tomato’s in Cajun jambalaya, and that jambalaya looks great

And also oregano. I have eaten a lot of Creole gumbo seasoned with oregano and tomatoes. I don't like oregano (especially Italian, Spanish is better though).

It's amazing just how much food and some people change after you drive for a bit......
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/17/20 03:40 AM

100% would food
Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/18/20 01:08 AM

And also oregano. I have eaten a lot of Creole gumbo seasoned with oregano and tomatoes. I don't like oregano (especially Italian, Spanish is better though).

It's amazing just how much food and some people change after you drive for a bit......

Oregano in gumbo has to be terrible...just sayin

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/18/20 01:35 AM

It is.
Posted By: Giblett

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/18/20 01:42 AM

Recipe please that looks real good.

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/18/20 07:21 PM

3 lbs Pork and/or Chicken Thighs (Cut in 1 inch cubes)
2 lbs Smoked Sausage and/or Tasso
1/2 Cup Cooking Oil
2 Teaspoons Sugar
1 Bunch Shallots, Chopped Fine (separate greens from bottom)
3 Large Onions, Chopped Fine
4 Stalks Celery, Chopped Fine
1 Large Bell Pepper, Chopped Fine
Black Pepper
Hot Sauce
Salt
4 1/2 Cups Long Grain Rice
9 Cups Vegetable Stock

Brown sausage in cooking oil in large heavy pot, about 10 minutes on medium heat. Remove and set aside. Brown pork in oil residue until it begins to brown: add sausage back in and cook on medium heat uncovered until golden brown (About 20 mins). Remove and set aside. Add chopped onions and cook until dark brown then sauté for 12 mins covered on low heat. Turn heat to medium and add shallot bottoms, celery, and bell pepper and cook until soft. Add 9 cups of stock, meat, and seasoning (should be salty as rice will absorb salt). Bring to a good boil then cut off fire and let set for 25 mins. Remove excess oil that comes to the top. Return to fire and bring to a boil again. Add rice and stir until water becomes opaque and thick (stir gently so you don't break the rice). Cover with tight lid and simmer on low fire for 15 min or until rice is cooked. Fluff rice and add onion tops. Do not stir again. Cover and let sit another 15 mins and then serve.

This will serve about 15 people

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/18/20 07:38 PM

It is.

Never put Oregano on any gumbo but I have had and cooked some red gumbos that are fantastic. It just has to be very thin and is especially good with seafood. Just lend credit to the appropriate heritage (Creole) and your all good.

In fact, if you're ever in New Orleans take the time to go to a restaurant called Liuzza's by the Track in Mid City near the Fair Grounds. Have the gumbo there and I bet you will not say you don't like red gumbo.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/18/20 09:31 PM

That looks great. Nice job
Posted By: Blank

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/18/20 11:34 PM

Wow! That looks wonderful.
Posted By: Giblett

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/19/20 01:28 PM

Thanks for the recipe gonna make this soon.

Re: Wild Hog Jambalaya - 11/19/20 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Giblett
Thanks for the recipe gonna make this soon.

One thing I forgot to add.

If you like a little more spice season the meat with Tony's and Cayenne Pepper before browning.

Let me know how it goes.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum