Texas Hunting Forum

What's the best cut for jerky?

Posted By: jetdad

What's the best cut for jerky? - 11/16/20 03:52 AM

Want to try and make some. My pellet grill low temp is 150. What's the best cut, how thin to slice it, and smoke for how long at 150 or whatever temp?
Posted By: TPACK

Re: What's the best cut for jerky? - 11/16/20 10:46 AM

Check out my post in this link below. Any cut from the round, top, bottom or eye of round make good jerky. I cooked mine at 180 degrees for about 2 hours and sliced the meat about 1/4 inch. Hope this helps.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7947380/re-beef-jerky#Post7947380
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: What's the best cut for jerky? - 11/16/20 01:56 PM

We muscle out the hams and don't cut nothing from there.
Posted By: Mr. Jeem

Re: What's the best cut for jerky? - 11/16/20 04:22 PM

I've used beef eye of round for the past 15 years. I slice it with the grain, 1/4" thick on a meat slicer. I clean the eye of rounds, cut them in 1/2 then freeze them. Let them slack and slice while semi-frozen. Wet brine over night, air dry over night, cold smoke, then dehydrate in a convection oven.
Posted By: rickym

Re: What's the best cut for jerky? - 11/16/20 08:59 PM

Rear quarter muscles are great, 1/4” thick at 165 until your happy.
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: What's the best cut for jerky? - 11/17/20 04:08 AM

Someone beat me to both of my answers:
1) eye of round for domestic beef
2) any of the main rear quarter muscles for venison

Re: What's the best cut for jerky? - 11/17/20 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by rickym
Rear quarter muscles are great, 1/4” thick at 165 until your happy.

Originally Posted by MeanGreen85
Someone beat me to both of my answers:
1) eye of round for domestic beef
2) any of the main rear quarter muscles for venison

I want to add that if you use venison, the backstrap make great jerky and it the easiest to process/slice into jerky meat.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: What's the best cut for jerky? - 11/17/20 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by TPACK
I want to add that if you use venison, the backstrap make great jerky and it the easiest to process/slice into jerky meat.

True, but that there is blaspheme
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What's the best cut for jerky? - 11/17/20 05:41 PM

Ive never made jerky I was proud of. Some of you fellas who know more about it should share some about your process, meat selection etc. grin
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: What's the best cut for jerky? - 11/17/20 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

True and true, the only time I use the straps for jerky is when I have plenty of straps. Which doesn’t look like that’s gonna happen again anytime soon lol. They do make the best jerky.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: What's the best cut for jerky? - 11/17/20 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Ive never made jerky I was proud of. Some of you fellas who know more about it should share some about your process, meat selection etc. grin

Red, try AC Legg’s Old Plantation Black Pepper Jerky Cure, and add more pepper if you’d like. It’s good. If you like Sriracha Sauce, mix some of that in as well. I love that stuff.

Re: What's the best cut for jerky? - 11/17/20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

Nope. We do not eat deer meat other than jerky. I make every backstrap into jerky. chicken
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum