Texas Hunting Forum

Just Spuds

Posted By: Blank

Just Spuds - 10/16/20 06:20 PM

Thought you guys would enjoy seeing this.

Had to run down to see a friend at the warehouse, so picked up some potatoes while I was there. This is sort of my lease payment over in Wyoming. 100K acres ranch, 5000 cows (with more steak than anyone can eat), and I get to hunt it for the price of a box of spuds every year. Can't complain about that at all. Seriously, our season has been great so far and they are digging like crazy right now. We're selling them for $10/box for 50 pounds. The white boxes are 90 count, which are perfect bakers, and the brown box is bigger 50 count for french fries...... Guess I'll have to make some spud dishes to eat next week. smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Just Spuds - 10/16/20 06:49 PM

Love me some taters!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Just Spuds - 10/16/20 09:14 PM

That's pretty awesome.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Just Spuds - 10/16/20 09:24 PM

Beautiful.

Re: Just Spuds - 10/16/20 10:22 PM

I put butter, ranch dressing, bacon bits, and chives on them. What do you put on them?

Re: Just Spuds - 10/16/20 11:05 PM

There are just so many things to do with good potatoes. Love them for scalloped or casserole spuds. Good in stews, and we make a thick hearty potato soup with lots of bacon and flour dumplings. For bakers, we coat the outside with butter or margarine and a lot of sea salt and ground pepper, then wrap in foil. Some kind of filling like butter, sour cream, bacon, chives, blue or gorgonzola cheese. Larger ones are prime for broccoli florets and cheddar, or chili and cheddar. YUM!!

There is an art to making the right dishes with potatoes. If you look close at the box, these are NORKOTAHs. A type of Russet developed in North Dakota Univ specifically for baking and French fries. Very low water content and high starch, so gets fluffy when cooked thru.

Re: Just Spuds - 10/16/20 11:33 PM

Love them pan fried.

Re: Just Spuds - 10/17/20 12:11 AM

Sliced red potato’s in a sheet in oven with salt and pepper. New potato’s and peas. Yukon Gold for potato salad, or soups and stews where you want to keep the shape without falling apart.

Re: Just Spuds - 10/17/20 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Blank
Sliced red potato’s in a sheet in oven with salt and pepper. New potato’s and peas. Yukon Gold for potato salad, or soups and stews where you want to keep the shape without falling apart.

You can add onions and links to make a full meal
Posted By: stillhntr

Re: Just Spuds - 10/17/20 02:13 AM

Taters rule, make any meal a winner
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Just Spuds - 10/17/20 02:47 AM

Produce of the U.S.A and those are some damn fine looking taters flag
Posted By: Stub

Re: Just Spuds - 10/17/20 10:32 AM

Blank as good as fresh Idaho potato's are, I think you pretty much got the better end of the deal for 100K Wyoming hunting spot cheers
And there is nothing like a good steak with a loaded baked potato and some beans food
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum