Texas Hunting Forum

Carne Guisada tonight

Posted By: Blank

Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 12:03 AM

My local grocery had a great sale on bottom round roasts this week for $2.77/lb, great trim without lot of gristle and lots of marbling throughout. So nice that I bought 4 of them. Really cubed up nice, for stewing.

We've been going to doctors non-stop this week with the mother-in-law, and wanted something quick and easy, that would provide a bunch of left-overs too. This will work!! Simply Carne Guisada, rice, beans and tortillas. Not a lot of color on the plate, so threw on an avocado too. Did it in the Insta-Pot for 30 minutes and it was fall-apart tender. Yum!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 12:16 AM

One of my favorite. It"s been too long. Goes great with the cooker weather.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 12:31 AM

Looks really good. Bottom round is a very versatile cut of meat.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 12:47 AM

One of my favorites, looks great!
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 12:58 AM

Absolutely would food
Posted By: mbavo

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 01:27 AM

Looks mighty tasty!

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 01:37 AM

It was, it was. smile I used the smaller sized street tacos, so I wouldn’t feel so guilty about eating three!!!
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 01:57 AM

Love it!
Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 03:14 AM

Looks awesome!!
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 07:53 AM

up
Posted By: Stub

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by mbavo
Looks mighty tasty!

food
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 11:43 AM

Never had it but looks great. food
Posted By: Cast

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 04:04 PM

Where’s the potato and green chili? That looks great but I’d call it asada not guisada.

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Where’s the potato and green chili? That looks great but I’d call it asada not guisada.

eek2 NO one in South Texas puts potatoes or green chilis in a carne guisada LOL. Out West maybe.

Asada is marinated & grilled meat, not stewed. up

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 04:31 PM

The guisada I get comes from Casa Torres in Decatur and it’s in a soup broth. It has peeled tater and carrot chunks and coarse chopped mild green chili. Love that stuff. The taco place I use keeps their asada in a spicy brown gravy and that makes a great taco. OP’s dish reminded me of that. I know asada is actually a pounded steak cooked on a grill. Love that stuff too.

I guess it’s kinda like shrimp fajitas. There just ain’t no such thing.
Posted By: Texasteach

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 04:47 PM

"Carne Guisada" literally translates to "Beef Stew", so I think that a person can pretty much put anything that they want in it. I like the idea of potatoes and green chiles, and maybe even a little hominy. Dishes truly from Mexico are known for using the cheapest ingredients available, and applying cooking methods and seasoning to make them tasty.

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 04:52 PM

The guisada I get comes from Casa Torres in Decatur and it’s in a soup broth. It has peeled tater and carrot chunks and coarse chopped mild green chili. Love that stuff. The taco place I use keeps their asada in a spicy brown gravy and that makes a great taco. OP’s dish reminded me of that. I know asada is actually a pounded steak cooked on a grill. Love that stuff too.

No offence cast, but I don't think Decatur is considered the cradle of Mexican cuisine.

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 05:35 PM

Hey, it's all good!!

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Texasteach
"Carne Guisada" literally translates to "Beef Stew", so I think that a person can pretty much put anything that they want in it. I like the idea of potatoes and green chiles, and maybe even a little hominy. Dishes truly from Mexico are known for using the cheapest ingredients available, and applying cooking methods and seasoning to make them tasty.

"Carne Guisada" can be translated as either a beef stew, or beef (or any meat) & gravy depending on where you're at in the Country. Like all food, the differences are regional. I was only stating that in South Texas and Northern Mexico, carne guisada is meat & gravy. Nothing else. Carne asada is grilled meat.

What I grew up knowing as a stew in Texas, is totally different from a Cajun stew. Totally different. Like mentioned, I'll eat it all not complaining. It is cool to learn the regional differences in dishes with the same name.

up

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 05:52 PM

Yep, this is more of the traditional way I was taught. Has carrots, celery, onions, and a can or Ortega diced green chiles in it. Half on the bottom with some broth, pile on the meat, the rest of the veggies on top, dissolve all the Guisada seasoning and spices in and pour the remaining liquid over the whole thing. Cook until fall-apart time.

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 06:08 PM

I wish I had one of those tacos right now!

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

No offence cast, but I don't think Decatur is considered the cradle of Mexican cuisine.

It’s the only place we eat at in Decatur and we like it. It’s always crowded too. If you haven’t tried it, it’s worth a road trip. I ate lunch in Fort Worth for seventeen years. Lots of good Mexican food there.

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/16/20 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

It’s the only place we eat at in Decatur and we like it. It’s always crowded too. If you haven’t tried it, it’s worth a road trip. I ate lunch in Fort Worth for seventeen years. Lots of good Mexican food there.

might have to make a trip out to the grasslands soon. I'll give them a shot. cheers

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/17/20 02:53 AM

Just possibly, it was better tonight as leftovers; it thickened up a little more. The wife stopped and picked up a dozen fresh hand-made tortillas, another batch of rice to soak up the gravy, and added some aged Cotija cheese I know there’s not enough for tomorrow! smile

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/17/20 05:50 PM

Sounds good. It's one of those foods that's always better the second day!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/17/20 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

And cooler weather.

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/17/20 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by skinnerback

And cooler weather.

I've never understood that LOL. Cool, cold, hot weather... I eat the same foods year round. Chili, gumbo, stews etc are on the menu 365 days a year. Now I want some carne guisada!

Re: Carne Guisada tonight - 10/17/20 06:38 PM

We eat seasonally. There will be much more chili, homemade vegetable beef stoop (stew soup), homemade chicken noodle, Aunt Lynn’s chicken spaghetti, and all types of beans and cornbread. When it gets cold, we won’t be smoking and grilling anymore, we’ll switch to cast iron grilling and 407 smoked meats.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum