Texas Hunting Forum

Pellet Smoker/Grill

Posted By: Halfadozen

Pellet Smoker/Grill - 10/03/20 09:54 PM

Bought a Pit Boss XL Austin a couple of weeks ago and have been testing it. Cooks great as a grill but I can't seem top get enough smoke for ribs and brisket. I set the "P" button to zero, which is supposed to feed more pellets for smoke but not the rolling smoke I am used to on an offset. Any PB guys out there with advice? (BTW - I still have my offset).
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Pellet Smoker/Grill - 10/04/20 03:12 AM

Get one of those smoker tubes off of Amazon and fill it with pellets. You'll get plenty of smoke using that in the pellet grill, at least I do.
Posted By: llbts1

Re: Pellet Smoker/Grill - 10/04/20 04:42 AM

A-maze-n makes smoke tubes as other you can find on Amazon. I have used a product called mojobricks that will put the smoke flavor out.
Posted By: texfork

Re: Pellet Smoker/Grill - 10/04/20 12:54 PM

If you really want the smoke check out " the big kahona " smoke tube . It's a lot different from a regular smoke tube .
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Pellet Smoker/Grill - 10/04/20 07:34 PM

Pellet grills are the best grill you can buy in my opinion. But I don’t like them as smokers for this reason. Pellet smokers cook with a smoldering fire versus the full combustion of a wood fire. Pellet fires don’t create smoke that produces the same flavor compounds in a volume you get in a full combustion fire. Nitric oxide and a few others. More smoke does not equal more smoke flavor. It’s not an issue with the amount of smoke. I’ve had people argue with me about the tubes and other gadgets, but when I eat there food it just doesn’t seem to work.I haven’t been sold on them.

This is not to say a pellet smoker can’t smoke some good food. I enjoy my buddies briskets they cook on them. But every buddy I have that doesn’t like the smoke flavor from them has regulated the pellet grill to steaks and burgers. Maybe just a flavor preference.

Just so it doesn’t sound like I’m picking on pellet grills this is also my thoughts on all slow-burning smokers. Eggs, Webber, barrel smokers, etc. I own most of these myself.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Pellet Smoker/Grill - 10/04/20 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Pellet grills are the best grill you can buy in my opinion. But I don’t like them as smokers for this reason. Pellet smokers cook with a smoldering fire versus the full combustion of a wood fire. Pellet fires don’t create smoke that produces the same flavor compounds in a volume you get in a full combustion fire. Nitric oxide and a few others. More smoke does not equal more smoke flavor. It’s not an issue with the amount of smoke. I’ve had people argue with me about the tubes and other gadgets, but when I eat there food it just doesn’t seem to work.I haven’t been sold on them.

This is not to say a pellet smoker can’t smoke some good food. I enjoy my buddies briskets they cook on them. But every buddy I have that doesn’t like the smoke flavor from them has regulated the pellet grill to steaks and burgers. Maybe just a flavor preference.

Just so it doesn’t sound like I’m picking on pellet grills this is also my thoughts on all slow-burning smokers. Eggs, Webber, barrel smokers, etc. I own most of these myself.

What about the masterbuilt gravity series?
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Pellet Smoker/Grill - 10/05/20 03:04 AM

Never used the gravity series. But it looks like it works on the same premise of slowing the oxygen to control the burn. I do the exact opposite. Fire box door open and nothing to choke down the fire. I want it to get full oxygen and combustion.

Halfadozen I see you still got your stick burner. Recently I’ve been putting my brisket on my offset for about the first four hours. After that it doesn’t really absorb any smoke flavor anymore. Then I put it on my barrel smoker and let it finish out so I can go to sleep. The barrel will stay at 250°F for about 10 hours. Makes it pretty easy when I need to get some sleep. You can start the brisket on your offset and move it over after a few hours and I bet you would be pleased with the results.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Pellet Smoker/Grill - 10/09/20 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Never used the gravity series. But it looks like it works on the same premise of slowing the oxygen to control the burn. I do the exact opposite. Fire box door open and nothing to choke down the fire. I want it to get full oxygen and combustion.

Halfadozen I see you still got your stick burner. Recently I’ve been putting my brisket on my offset for about the first four hours. After that it doesn’t really absorb any smoke flavor anymore. Then I put it on my barrel smoker and let it finish out so I can go to sleep. The barrel will stay at 250°F for about 10 hours. Makes it pretty easy when I need to get some sleep. You can start the brisket on your offset and move it over after a few hours and I bet you would be pleased with the results.

All good ideas - thanks guys
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum