Texas Hunting Forum

Another care package

Posted By: bill oxner

Another care package - 09/08/20 03:43 PM

The kindness of neighbors. Jared dripped it off this morning. It will make me three full dinners plus a couple of snacks. Oops. Make that one snack. I just stuck one of the back on wrapped jalapeños in the microwave. It was great. Jared is a gardner. He grows his own potatoes. I'm considering making potato salad from the smashed potatoes. Any recipes?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Another care package - 09/08/20 03:48 PM

Those poppers done?

Re: Another care package - 09/08/20 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Those poppers done?

It was delicious.

Re: Another care package - 09/08/20 04:04 PM

That’s pretty cool then!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Another care package - 09/08/20 04:15 PM

Ribs look good.

Re: Another care package - 09/08/20 04:24 PM

Jared just got a GSP pup. He's a lurker on the Upland Forum and the Gardening Thread. He's considering taking the plunge in order to get on the Bunker.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Another care package - 09/08/20 06:42 PM

Would've fought ya for it... food

Re: Another care package - 09/08/20 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be
Would've fought ya for it... food

You don’t really want the Ox squarin’ up in ya! He’s a beast and the ribs did look good! roflmao

Re: Another care package - 09/08/20 10:49 PM

Jared is a great neighbor. I emailed him the link to this thread. I just stopped by to visit him. He had cooked three racks. He said to tell you for your kind words. Think you THFers have a new recruit on the way.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Another care package - 09/09/20 04:11 AM

cheers up
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Another care package - 09/09/20 07:27 PM

I copied this from the "Dogcatcher Collection" Sounds really good.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
The kindness of neighbors. Jared dripped it off this morning. It will make me three full dinners plus a couple of snacks. Oops. Make that one snack. I just stuck one of the back on wrapped jalapeños in the microwave. It was great. Jared is a gardner. He grows his own potatoes. I'm considering making potato salad from the smashed potatoes. Any recipes?

[Linked Image]

German Potato Salad.

Ingredients
2 1/4 pounds potatoes (waxy variety, such as Yukon Gold
4 slices bacon
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 cup onions, diced
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons mild brown mustard
Preparation
Cook the potatoes in simmering salted water until just tender, about 15-18 minutes. Drain and dry. While the potatoes are still hot, remove the skins and slice the potatoes 1/2-inch thick.
While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the dressing. Cook the bacon over medium-high heat until the fat has rendered and the bacon is crisp. Remove the bacon to a plate with a slotted spoon, reserving the bacon fat in the pan; crumble the bacon into small pieces, and reserve.
Bring the chicken broth, vinegar, onions, salt, sugar, and pepper to a boil.
Combine the oil, rendered bacon fat, and mustard with the warm potatoes. Pour the boiling broth-vinegar mixture over the potatoes. Toss in the crumbled bacon. Serve warm

Re: Another care package - 09/10/20 09:25 PM

Thanks a bunch for the heads up. Having my second dinner from the ribs tonight. Discovered that they go good with beer.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Another care package - 09/10/20 09:52 PM

Make tater cakes from the leftover mashed taters. Just add some SPG, chopped onion and an egg or two. Whip it all up, form it into small cakes and fry in hot bacon grease.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum