Texas Hunting Forum

Speed Brisket

Posted By: pertnear

Speed Brisket - 09/06/20 02:01 PM

I was talking to my nephew who is known for his superb BBQ briskets. I know in the past he always slow cooked for about 10+ hours. He says now he'll cook a 12 lb brisket in 6 hours or less! He says he just run a much hotter fire in his stick burner. I know my pretty much traditional technique takes at least 9+ hours including the "rest period". Does any one else do a "Speed Brisket"? Maybe a green egg can do it?

BTW: Forgot to mention the criteria - the brisket needs to be tender & taste good!
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Speed Brisket - 09/06/20 02:42 PM

Watched a Myron Mixon video about the fast cook. If he does it, I’d say it’s a proven technique.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Speed Brisket - 09/06/20 02:44 PM

Every time I’ve done it it’s involved an oven to finish it. If I’m in a hurry or can’t attend to it correctly I’ll smoke it for 2-3 hours wrap and finish in the Oven. Not saying it can’t be done. I just haven’t tried it as a fast cook and it come out tender on the smoker only. I’m sure prep work and marinade could play a big part in it.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Speed Brisket - 09/06/20 05:21 PM

Pop used to make a brisket 100% in the oven but it took all night.

Pan+brisket+bottle of Italian dressing+salt+black pepper.

The dressing broke it down and was always tender as heck. Pop lived next door. Mornings smelled awesome when my Dad took that one over and started doing it.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Speed Brisket - 09/06/20 09:19 PM

6hrs seems quick. But cooking a brisket at 325 should get your pretty close. Just make sure you get a good brisket, trim all the hard fat off, make sure your brisket has “smooth” lines (don’t trim it into a square. Thinks sports car not truck) and let it go.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Speed Brisket - 09/07/20 02:48 PM

If we don't feel like using the Traeger and smoking one, we have found that the oven works OK, but don't want to do when its hot in the house.. Using the roaster oven on the counter will cut the time roughly in half, but you lose the crispy bark by having all the moisture. Need to use about one small box of beef stock in there, to keep the bottom covered

Just put on the rack in a cookie sheet or shallow pan, do for one hour uncovered at 375 to get all nice and crisp, then tent some foil over it and turn down to 275-300 degrees, and run one hour per pound. Gives an internal temp of 200 degrees, but you have to watch it to keep from getting too dry.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Speed Brisket - 09/07/20 03:29 PM

Here is the way I do it in 6 hours. Love my Pit Barrel.

https://youtu.be/sooslUQZIdQ

The results:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum