Texas Hunting Forum

Chili Colorado in the works..

Posted By: skinnerback

Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 01:35 AM

I normally use feral pork shoulders/loins/tenderloins, which I love, but I'm out right now so I went with 7 lbs of pork tenderloins from the store. Don't judge me. This is one of my favorite meals, and it's pretty awesome to make at camp with a fresh killed pig if you have the will. I've got Stevie Ray Vaughan on the loudspeaker, & I'm moving a spoon. Life is good.

My sauce is normally made up of 6 different kinds of dried chilis, because that's the flavor that I like in my sauce. Add garlic & onion.
[Linked Image]

After cleaning up the meat and cutting it the way I like, I give it a light dusting of fajita seasoning and brown it in a cast iron pot. Nice & easy like. Just a quick brown with no flour..had to use the coated pot because i went with 7 lbs of meat instead of 5, and didn't want to use a bigger pot.

[Linked Image]

Foundation is poured.

[Linked Image]

The pepper sauce is puckered up and ready for the strainer.

[Linked Image]

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 01:47 AM

Meat's in the pot. Just need to simmer for a few hours until the meat is tender and the gravy is thick. Will check for seasoning soon, and add a little cumin toward the end. Meat's gonna make it's own juice and make nice gravy in a bit.

[Linked Image]

Working on the rice & beans, and tortillas.

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 01:52 AM

More to come. Hope all is well.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 01:55 AM

Looks wonderful!!
Posted By: txlenchs

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 02:27 AM

Yummy
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 02:52 AM

Damn right!!! That is real chili right there not stew.

I need to make some soon haven’t made it since New Year’s Eve.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 03:02 AM

Ancho, guajillo, arbol, pastille, pequins? Not sure about the last one. Am I at least close?

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by KRoyal

Well get after it bud! clap up

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Ancho, guajillo, arbol, pastille, pequins? Not sure about the last one. Am I at least close?

Very good Sir. Chili Ancho, guajillo, pasilla, chipotle, arbol, and hand picked tepins.

Delicious. I use this same mix in my Texas Chili and tamales.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 04:16 AM

cheers food

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 05:39 AM

Buenos noches amigos.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: texfork

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 10:04 AM

Wow ! That looks outstanding . food
Posted By: Stub

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 10:31 AM

Oh Chit man that looks fantastic food
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 11:41 AM

Knocked it out of the park food
Posted By: PMK

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 12:43 PM

up need a slobber or drooling emoji, dang that looks good

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 02:06 PM

Man I got to try this that looks amazing.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
Buenos noches amigos.

[Linked Image]

That looks fantastic brother..... cheers
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 04:08 PM

That looks incredible
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
That looks fantastic brother..... cheers

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 05:24 PM

Thanks guys. It’s one of my favorites and the family loves it. About to make another plate.

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 06:24 PM

Skinner, where do you get your dried chilis from? I've picked some up in the past at HEB, but they weren't that great.

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 08:24 PM

HEB most of the time, they've always been good here. Nice and soft, not dried out too much. If not there I hit up the local Mexican market.
Posted By: decook

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 08:57 PM

Ive never met skinnerback, but this is how I know that he knows what he's doing. Out-Standing!

and add a little cumin toward the end.

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 09:23 PM

Thank you Sir, and I say the same thing to you! clap
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 11:39 PM

Looks really good little buddy 👍
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 11:47 PM

I say this with the absolute highest level of respect that can be given. . . . . . . .

DUDE!!!!

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 11:48 PM

Said it before and I’ll say it again, the man is a genius with the local viddles. Dad GUM I can almost smell it from N Texas brother!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 11:51 PM

Hey Skinner, is the house next door to you available?

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/28/20 11:56 PM

For real!!!

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/29/20 12:27 AM

Ah shucks, you're making me blush Frog. blush LOL, I'm no genius just love to cook & eat! Always learning...

Cast, actually yes Sir the house next door to me is available. It was a VERY nice and well kept 2 story house on 2 1/2 acres with a pool and a huge shop. Harvey tore it up pretty bad, and apparently the new owners didn't have Texas Windstorm Insurance on it. So they just walked away and left it like that (they were also going through a divorce so who knows). There's still big trees down all over the yard, and paneling/insulation & rotten tarps hanging all over. Depressing to look at. Come on down and buy it! I'll help you fix it up. up

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/29/20 12:31 AM

ROAD TRIP!!!

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/29/20 12:57 AM

Well get after it bud! clap up

I’m gonna leave me alone. I can taste that from here.

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/29/20 12:59 AM

Ah shucks, you're making me blush Frog. blush LOL, I'm no genius just love to cook & eat! Always learning...

Cast, actually yes Sir the house next door to me is available. It was a VERY nice and well kept 2 story house on 2 1/2 acres with a pool and a huge shop. Harvey tore it up pretty bad, and apparently the new owners didn't have Texas Windstorm Insurance on it. So they just walked away and left it like that (they were also going through a divorce so who knows). There's still big trees down all over the yard, and paneling/insulation & rotten tarps hanging all over. Depressing to look at. Come on down and buy it! I'll help you fix it up. up

You can take that modesty somewhere else because you know damn well you’re an amazing cook. Haven’t had it a long while but you need to come up again and cook rofl
Posted By: ErikL

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/29/20 01:22 AM

nice

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/29/20 01:28 AM

You can take that modesty somewhere else because you know damn well you’re an amazing cook. Haven’t had it a long while but you need to come up again and cook rofl

Skinnerback, is this man bothering you?
[Linked Image]

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/29/20 01:34 AM

roflmao Well thank you. We do need to have another get together soon. I've had a blast on every one of the THF get togethers I've been to so far. Even the goose hunt, it was tuff but standing there in that field watching 2Bees have a total f'n meltdown made the whole trip for me. rofl Always good people. up

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/29/20 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog

Skinnerback, is this man bothering you?
[Linked Image]

roflmao

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/29/20 02:04 AM

roflmao Well thank you. We do need to have another get together soon. I've had a blast on every one of the THF get togethers I've been to so far. Even the goose hunt, it was tuff but standing there in that field watching 2Bees have a total f'n meltdown made the whole trip for me. rofl Always good people. up

I’m really pissed I missed that one. Just seeing joshy boil down would have been worth all the mud and not smoking any geese lol.

Re: Chili Colorado in the works.. - 08/29/20 02:08 AM

I’m really pissed I missed that one. Just seeing joshy boil down would have been worth all the mud and not smoking any geese lol.

It was epic, and the more he got taunted the better it got. clap rofl

After falling down in the mud a time or two and cussing like he had the worst case of Turrets in the world, and after taking a deek to the back of the head, and falling down again, and cussing again, he spun off into one of the greatest temper tantrums I've ever seen. roflmao and then he would slip in that muck again and the guys just kept poking that stick. LMAO. It's a good thing his gun was put away, not not he'd hit one of us anyway! peep rofl
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum