Texas Hunting Forum

I think I want to learn...

Posted By: Cast

I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 12:11 AM

... how to make homemade bread.

I can cook purty good, but I don’t bake. I love everything about fresh baked bread, the smell, the taste, the texture. I envy the bread bakers. I’m ready to try. How do I proceed?
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 12:19 AM

I learned from watching Youtube videos.
Posted By: glens

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 12:20 AM

Buy you a bread maker. [Linked Image]
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 12:38 AM

Love homemade bread. Bated breath. cheers
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 12:45 AM

Love that smell. I wish my wife had the interest to get into that. I have saved a ton of recipes from here on homemade bread but we just haven't done it yet.

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 12:49 AM

My momma made sourdough. It was great.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 12:58 AM

As simple as it gets

Cast Iron Dutch Oven Bread
3 cups of all purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons of salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 1/2 cups room temp water

Cast Iron Dutch Oven with lid
mixing bowl
measuring cup
spatulas etc.

Mix flour and salt in mixing bowl
Add yeast to water and briefly stir
Add yeast and water mix to flour and stir until it is a good dough mix
For faster reaction with the yeast add a tablespoon of sugar.
Cover with a clean towel and let sit until it has risen almost double or about 4 hours. This must be done in a warm area.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees, lightly grease Dutch oven and place in oven to heat it. Remove and uncover the mixing bowl and lightly flour the counter and roll the dough into a ball.

Add dough to the Dutch oven and bake with lid on for 30 minutes, then uncover for another 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove bread from a the Dutch oven and cool on a cooling rack.

Adds, change the basics by adding one of the following.
For a cheese bread, add a half cup of shredded cheese in the flour and salt mix.

Drain a small 4oz can of green chilis and add to the flour, these must be WELL drained.
Add a half cup of blueberries to the flour and 2 tablespoons of sugar to the yeast.

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 12:59 AM

Here is another https://www.instructables.com/id/FAILPROOF-White-Sandwich-Bread-almost-No-knead/

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 01:07 AM

Another

Mountain Bread
6 Cups of all purpose Flour
2 Tablespoons of active dry yeast
1 Tablespoon of salt
1 Teaspoon of sugar
3 cups or maybe a little more of room temperature water

Notice there is no oil, just flour, yeast, salt, sugar and water.
Mix the yeast in room temperature water and the salt into the flour
Pour water into flour and stir with a spoon. This will be sloppy, stringy wet dough. It kind of looks like you are making drop biscuits. Cover this with a cloth and let sit on the counter for 8-24 hours. I have used it in as little as 8 hours but it is better to wait.

When the mixture has set for at least 8 hours roll out into a greased cooking bowl or crock. The bread cooks better in a glass or ceramic dish and does not do well in a pan. I dust the mixture with flour lightly so I can roll it into the dish. It is very soft sticky dough and can not be picked up. Once in a baking dish I let it sit for 1 hour before baking. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 45 minutes or until golden brown.

This is my modified versions. I have modified it a little. I add a cup of shredded cheese to the flour and mix it in real good before I add the water and yeast mix. Sometimes I add some sliced green chilis. Want dessert???, add a cup of chocolate chips. It says to cover with a cloth, I use a piece of wax paper, cloth sticks to it. I just roll the dough on to a large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. With lots of shredded cheese, it tastes like fresh butter bread. Slice it and add jelly of your choice.

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 01:09 AM

You an use those same recipes and make great cinnamon rolls.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 01:15 AM

I make this in a cast iron skillet.

Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by glens

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

Get some Pillsbury Banana Quick Bread. Toss in some water and a smashed up and very ripe banana. Let it run. In an hour you will have some awesome banana bread. food

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 01:43 AM

No yeast Rolls

1 cup of flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of milk
2 tablespoons of mayo

Combine all ingredients and spoon into a greased muffin pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Makes about 5 rolls.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
You an use those same recipes and make great cinnamon rolls.

Yep, my wife makes these, they are also from her sourdough starter.
[Linked Image]

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 02:01 AM

Flat Bread

2-1/4 cups Hard White flour
1-1/3 cups warm water
1 tbsp yeast
2 olive oil
1 tsp salt

Sift flour, salt and yeast together at least 3 times. Then stir in olive oil and water to make a soft dough.

Knead dough for 5 minutes, then form into a ball, brush with olive oil and allow it to rise until it doubles in size (aprox. 1 hour).

Knead again on a floured surface and divide into six pieces, rolling each chunk into a ball.

Let it rise for 10 more minutes.

Preheat the oven to 475 F.

Roll the balls flat until they're only 1/8" thick and about 7" diameter.

Place on greased baking sheets, cover with a tea towel and let rest for 30 minutes.

Spray the dough with water and bake for two minutes.

Check to make sure they haven't gone hard and if not, bake for a couple minutes more. You want them firm but not hard or brown.

Remove from the oven and serve immediately with dips or as a wrap for all sorts of fillings.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 02:27 AM

I made cowboy Kent Rollins biscuits a couple times. Does that count?
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 02:32 AM

Hot homemade bread slathered in butter, sliced fresh radish, onion, tomato.
Posted By: Gary Olson

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 02:35 AM

Made some honey oatmeal bread a couple days ago. Put the ingredients in, finished 3 hours later.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 03:04 AM

Grandma had one of those machines when I was young. Gawwwww it smelled awesome when she did French bread!

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Olson

Made some honey oatmeal bread a couple days ago. Put the ingredients in, finished 3 hours later.

My daughter bought one of those and used it only three times. Next came a pasta maker.
Posted By: Gary Olson

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cast

I can cook purty good, but I don’t bake. I love everything about fresh baked bread, the smell, the taste, the texture. I envy the bread bakers. I’m ready to try. How do I proceed?

Use King Arthur flour or other quality flour, Gold Medal is just blah. During COVID, yeast and quality bread flour is next to impossible to find at the grocery store. I prefer King Arthur, order from their website. Amazon is rife with fraud. Shipping sucks; but better than the alternative.

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 02:21 PM

The only thing I ever use my load pan for anymore is meatloaf.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Olson

Use King Arthur flour or other quality flour, Gold Medal is just blah. During COVID, yeast and quality bread flour is next to impossible to find at the grocery store. I prefer King Arthur, order from their website. Amazon is rife with fraud. Shipping sucks; but better than the alternative.

Solid advice. King Arthur for the win. up yes it was impossible to find for a good while.
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 06:43 PM

Man, I have the cornbread recipe for you! I promise you cant beat it. Let me know if you want it and i will find it for you.

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj

Man, I have the cornbread recipe for you! I promise you cant beat it. Let me know if you want it and i will find it for you.

I’d like to see your cornbread recipe.

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/23/20 09:18 PM

Somebody tell me about sourdough bread.

DC, I’m gonna try your dutch oven bread first.

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/24/20 12:11 AM

Sourdough starter is a culture of flour and water. The culture will begin to ferment the natural yeasts found in nature. A small portion added to your bread dough will make it rise. My momma kept the starter for years

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/24/20 01:01 AM

Somebody tell me about sourdough bread.

DC, I’m gonna try your dutch oven bread first.

Add the 1/2 cup of shredded cheese to the flour. The cheese bread is outstanding. Just mix in the cheese so the flour coats it real good before you add the liquids.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/24/20 01:05 AM

You've let the cat out of the bag, so find it and post it

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/24/20 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by kmon1

You've let the cat out of the bag, so find it and post it

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/24/20 01:55 AM

Dont know why my wife moves everything, took 20 minutes to find it. The recipe seems simple but dont underestimate it. Enjoy!

[Linked Image]

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/24/20 02:34 AM

Jalapeño cornbread.
Posted By: Judd

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/24/20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 2Beez
Love that smell. I wish my wife had the interest to get into that. I have saved a ton of recipes from here on homemade bread but we just haven't done it yet.

Add that to the list of stuff I probably should repo bang

Dont know why my wife moves everything, took 20 minutes to find it. The recipe seems simple but dont underestimate it. Enjoy!

It's in their genetics, they just can't help it. I got tired of mine complaining because I was always looking for stuff so I put a random phone number on a piece of paper and put it on the coffee table. Every nite for a week I came home and would look for it, never moved it myself but in that week is was in 4 different places. Since this little experiment, she rarely gives me crap when I can't find stuff roflmao

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/24/20 02:44 PM

My sourdough starter is on the way and I’m setup on the King Arthur web site. I have three dutch ovens waiting to make bread. It’s gonna happen.

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/24/20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
It's in their genetics, they just can't help it. I got tired of mine complaining because I was always looking for stuff so I put a random phone number on a piece of paper and put it on the coffee table. Every nite for a week I came home and would look for it, never moved it myself but in that week is was in 4 different places. Since this little experiment, she rarely gives me crap when I can't find stuff roflmao

You should see our double bathroom sink, she will move all of my stuff and hide it somewhere, which was clean, and then I look over at her side and its mounding with stuff. I don't get it.

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/24/20 02:57 PM

My sourdough starter is on the way and I’m setup on the King Arthur web site. I have three dutch ovens waiting to make bread. It’s gonna happen.

Women kept their recipes secret back in the day.
Posted By: PMK

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/24/20 04:40 PM

my wife has tried many times to replicate sweet yeast dinner rolls she grew up eating, baked by all the women in her family (mother, aunts). Of course none of them wrote anything down, just did it by instinct and repetition. My wife started asking all of them for their recipe but never got one anywhere close to what they actually produced. None are as sweet as she wants them, some turn out gummy, some too dry, some don't rise well ... So if any of ya'll have a sweet dinner roll recipe I would love to give it a try.

my mom didn't write anything down either, just instinct as well. She made sour dough rolls several times a week from a starter she kept in the fridge.

Re: I think I want to learn... - 08/24/20 10:14 PM

Here is thread bout bread from another forum. https://motorbicycling.com/threads/how-to-make-some-serious-bread.46918/
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum