Texas Hunting Forum

Dove Popper and Chipotle/Mango Duck Empanadas

Posted By: Thisisbeer

Dove Popper and Chipotle/Mango Duck Empanadas - 08/18/20 12:53 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

With dove season finally on the horizon I thought I would share one of my favorite dove recipes. The duck recipe is always a party favorite.

For the dove:

I take the jalapeños and put one on a skewer. Then I light my highest burner on my gas stove, you can use any open flame, and cook it until it’s black and blistering all over. Then put it in a bag or tin foil and let it steam for ~15 minutes. Peel the black off the jalapeño after that in the sink under running water. Your just removing the skin from the jalapeños during this step.

Take the dove breasts and dice them in roughly 1/2” cubes. Get a pan hot, about medium heat, add some oil to the pan and cook the dove through. It should only take about 4 minutes.

Cook and chop or crumble the bacon.

I use about 1 jalapeño and two strips of bacon per 6 dove.

Mix everything with enough cream cheese to give the desired coating. I use about one block per 12 dove.

Put a spoonful of mix in the empanada dough, fold over and pinch it closed with a fork to seal it off, and deep fry at 350f until golden brown.

For the Duck:

Slice mangos into rings. Cube 1 tablespoon of butter. Add 1/2 cup sugar to pan and continuously stir as you bring it up to medium-high heat and sugar is melted. Let cook for a couple of minutes until sugar starts to brown. Don’t stir while browning. Reduce heat to medium and add butter. Stir to combine. Add mangos and toss in melted sugar. Cook mangos for about 10 minutes until starting to brown. Remove from heat and set aside. When cool, slice the mango rings into cubes.

Dice 1/2 onion and 2 cloves garlic. Caramelize onion in a pan add garlic for last 30 seconds. Remove from heat and set aside.

Chop duck meat into 1/2” cubes and cook like the dove. Don’t over cook.

Add to pan - two diced chipotles in adobo sauce, diced caramelized mango, diced onion, diced garlic, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1/2 tablespoon cumin, kosher salt to taste, and a 1/4 cup heavy cream. Cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Should be thick consistency.

Spoon into dough, fold over and seal with a fork, deep fry at 350 until golden brown.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Dove Popper and Chipotle/Mango Duck Empanadas - 08/18/20 02:15 PM

Love them. Brings back fond memories. First had them while on vacation in the Cayman's. I was in a convince store near here that had a buffet. They called the meat pies. chef
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Dove Popper and Chipotle/Mango Duck Empanadas - 08/18/20 03:25 PM

Sounds and looks awesome.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Dove Popper and Chipotle/Mango Duck Empanadas - 08/18/20 05:04 PM

Another sounds delicious and looks pretty darn tasty food
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Dove Popper and Chipotle/Mango Duck Empanadas - 08/18/20 05:46 PM

up
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Dove Popper and Chipotle/Mango Duck Empanadas - 08/18/20 06:19 PM

Wow! Man that looks and sounds incredible.
Posted By: texfork

Re: Dove Popper and Chipotle/Mango Duck Empanadas - 08/19/20 10:15 AM

I love Empanadas . up
Posted By: txlenchs

Re: Dove Popper and Chipotle/Mango Duck Empanadas - 08/20/20 09:42 PM

Sept 2nd meal...thx
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Dove Popper and Chipotle/Mango Duck Empanadas - 08/20/20 10:14 PM

Thanks, everyone.

Originally Posted by txlenchs
Sept 2nd meal...thx

If you haven't ever made it, Dove Carne Guisada is pretty dang good too. I love the bacon wrapped dove I grew up eating, but dove can be used in a lot of different recipes with great results.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum