Texas Hunting Forum

Who likes pizza??

Posted By: Blank

Who likes pizza?? - 08/16/20 01:24 AM

There I was, minding my own business, and just talking to the voices in my head. The wife was out shopping, and it was up to me to make dinner. One of the voices said “Let’s have pizza”. The trouble-maker one said “Heck with that, let’s build a calzone!”

Sounding good (and being really lazy), I opted for a Papa Murphy’s take and bake pizza, and just rolled it up into a loaf to bake. Wow, talk about awesome.

Lowered the temp to 350 degrees. Doubled the time to 30 minutes. All the fresh veggies in it made it pretty fragile, and I busted it taking it out of the oven. Sorry.

Yummy!!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Who likes pizza?? - 08/16/20 01:47 AM

Heck yeh! Great idea. I love Papa Murphy’s pizza. I always get the double stuffed.

Didn’t really feel like cooking, so I’ve got a cheese pizza in the oven now.
Posted By: txmudder

Re: Who likes pizza?? - 08/16/20 01:56 AM

That looks awesome! I would!! food
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Who likes pizza?? - 08/16/20 08:10 AM

We cook all of our pizzas on this Webber Kettle, one of these days I’ll make a calzone. [Linked Image]
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Who likes pizza?? - 08/16/20 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
Heck yeh! Great idea. I love Papa Murphy’s pizza. I always get the double stuffed.

Ripe olives?

Love them myself, food
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Who likes pizza?? - 08/16/20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

I did like Papa Murphy's in a pinch, however all the ones in my area all shut down about a year ago.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Who likes pizza?? - 08/16/20 01:22 PM

That looks fantastic....now I’m hungry...
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Who likes pizza?? - 08/16/20 02:00 PM

Oh yeah! YUM!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Who likes pizza?? - 08/16/20 03:53 PM

Excellent!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Who likes pizza?? - 08/16/20 08:05 PM

It's been too long for me.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Who likes pizza?? - 08/16/20 09:49 PM

I’m a Cane Rosso fan. Always ask them to crisp it up a bit. Ella with Calabrian chiles. Dynamite!
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Who likes pizza?? - 08/17/20 12:44 AM

Stromboli chef
Posted By: Blank

Re: Who likes pizza?? - 08/17/20 01:11 AM

Man, don't get me started on that. We LOVE Stromboli!!!

Stromboli Recipe

Open the wine of choice and pour yourself a glass while contemplating and assessing the project.

Ingredients:
Italian sausage (either mild, or hot, or mix them-can be cased requiring removal, or bulk)
One (1) container shredded Romano Cheese (gives good sharp taste and aroma) OR
One (1) container of mixed shredded Romano/Asiago/Parmesan Cheese (not quite as sharp)
One lb. package Mozzarella cheese
One (1) Tablespoon Italian seasoning
Three (3) loaves frozen Rhoads Bread dough
One (1) bottle Burgundy or other red wine
One (1) cube Butter
Parsley flakes (for color in meat mixture only, can be left out if desired)
Flour, for rolling out dough

Brown the sausage meat in a large enough pot that you can mix in later, ensuring it is broken up into small pieces which will roll well into the dough.
Drain the excess oil and grease off.
Add the Italian seasoning and enough burgundy wine to add wine color and flavor the meat, and simmer an additional 10 minutes (this will cook all the alcohol off, and is satisfactory for all our LDS friends).

Have another glass of wine while cooking . Drain the remaining liquid off, and discard.

Mix the shredded Romano/Parmesean cheese well into the meat mixture and set to the side off the heat to cool. You will be spreading by hand onto the dough.

Flour the counter top lightly so the bread dough won t stick. Roll out the three (3) loaves of bread dough, trying to get them roughly rectangular for ease of rolling into a loaf. Three loaves fit nicely on one large cookie sheet.

Spread the meat and cheese mixture evenly on all three (3) loaves. Top with the shredded Mozzarella cheese (you can use more than called for if you d like, as it is inside the loaf and will not burn).
Roll the dough and tuck the ends under to seal.
Place them on a lightly greased cookie sheet, or one lined with non-stick foil.

Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 20 minutes, or until browned. Melt the cube of butter and brush lightly on the top crust of each loaf. Enjoy the last glass of wine while you admire your work.

Serve hot out of the oven with your favorite marinara or spaghetti sauce for dipping. A nice green salad is all you need for a full meal; people will have seconds, so maybe a double batch if you want left-overs!

Makes indestructible sandwiches for backpacking or hunting (can be warmed in doubled foil on a fire).
Freezes and microwaves great also.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Who likes pizza?? - 08/17/20 10:43 AM

That does look food
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Who likes pizza?? - 08/17/20 02:25 PM

Oh heck yeah i would hurt myself eating that!

Love pizza etc.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Who likes pizza?? - 08/17/20 09:48 PM

excellent idea!!! We usually order from Papa Murphy's The Cowboy but without pepperoni and additional sausage added in place.

now ya'll have me wondering what the difference is between a Calzone and Stromboli????
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum