Texas Hunting Forum

Whole pigs

Posted By: bigjoe8565

Whole pigs - 06/09/20 10:07 PM

Where can I buy a whole pig for roasting?
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Whole pigs - 06/09/20 10:10 PM

For domestic, most local butchers can order any size pig you want.
Posted By: netman

Re: Whole pigs - 06/09/20 10:46 PM

Columbia meat packaging in dallas.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Whole pigs - 06/09/20 10:58 PM

Good question. Let us know.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Whole pigs - 06/10/20 01:56 AM

There used to be an Asian Market in Arlington, that was were we got them when we were too lazy to butcher our own. It has been 20 years, but I think it was near 360 between 20 and 30.
Posted By: texfork

Re: Whole pigs - 06/10/20 09:51 AM

Costco has them .
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Whole pigs - 06/10/20 11:57 AM

I bought one recently at HEB. I believe they can order anything you want. I’ve even had them order me beef navel in the past to make beef bacon.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Whole pigs - 06/10/20 12:28 PM

25 years ago we bought one from Ye Ole Butcher shop in Plano, it was what we served for our wedding celebration.
Posted By: ErikL

Re: Whole pigs - 06/10/20 01:13 PM

i had been very interested in trying to cook a whole wild hog over a rotisserie but it seems the scalding to get rid of the hair would be kind of problematic? anyone have thoughts on this?
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Whole pigs - 06/10/20 02:41 PM

If you buy one from a butcher shop; you don’t have to worry about the hair.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Whole pigs - 06/10/20 02:59 PM

Gainesville live stock auction, once a month on Tuesday evening they run hogs, goats and sheep thorough the ring. Best place for a live cheap hog.

Re: Whole pigs - 06/10/20 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by ErikL
i had been very interested in trying to cook a whole wild hog over a rotisserie but it seems the scalding to get rid of the hair would be kind of problematic? anyone have thoughts on this?

If you buy one they come ready to cook. If you are referring to cooking a wild one or getting one alive than you have to scald and scrape. You can see my post where I did it here. We use a 55 gallon drum on cinder blocks with a fire built underneath. Dip the pig in 150°F water for 6 minutes then scrape. It's quite a bit of work.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Whole pigs - 06/10/20 05:08 PM

Davids Meats in Garland, The one mentioned alredy in Plano is another, Just call them nd let them know what you want.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Whole pigs - 06/11/20 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

If you buy one they come ready to cook. If you are referring to cooking a wild one or getting one alive than you have to scald and scrape. You can see my post where I did it here. We use a 55 gallon drum on cinder blocks with a fire built underneath. Dip the pig in 150°F water for 6 minutes then scrape. It's quite a bit of work.

Its a lot easier to just burn off the hair using a pearburner….wave the flame across the hair then wipe with an old leather glove, repeat until all the hair is gone. Just be careful not to blister the skin.

I cook wild pig whole all the time...

Re: Whole pigs - 06/11/20 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Its a lot easier to just burn off the hair using a pearburner….wave the flame across the hair then wipe with an old leather glove, repeat until all the hair is gone. Just be careful not to blister the skin.

I haven’t tried burning it off. How do you get the hair follicles out of the skin with the burning method?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Whole pigs - 06/11/20 02:07 PM

There is an old saying used when something comes out just right, "a good scald."

I looked it up for you.

https://matronofhusbandry.wordpress.com/2008/10/08/you-got-a-good-scald-on-that/
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Whole pigs - 06/11/20 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

I haven’t tried burning it off. How do you get the hair follicles out of the skin with the burning method?

You don’t....but I don’t eat the skin. I smoke them whole skin on...
Posted By: don k

Re: Whole pigs - 06/12/20 11:45 AM

We just skin them. Domestic- feral it don't matter. Skin them. You might loose a little fat skinning them but it sure beats scrapping them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum