Texas Hunting Forum

Pork Shoulder

Posted By: TLoving

Pork Shoulder - 06/04/20 12:54 AM

I put a small pork shoulder in my Weber Grill. I set my charcoal up in a snake and lit one end. Around the 3 hour mark the rain started so I finished the meat in a 225 degree F oven.

My wife and I will be eating tacos and pulled pork BBQ sandwiches the next few days with about half of the meat. I will freeze the other half for later.

For those people without big fancy pits the charcoal snake produces a nice slow burn. After 3 hours I only burned about half of my charcoal.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Pork Shoulder - 06/04/20 02:10 AM

I’ve seen this. Never got to see the results. I’m out of town away from all my equipment. I think I’m going to have to give this a go. Nice work.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Pork Shoulder - 06/04/20 02:58 AM

up whatever works ...
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Pork Shoulder - 06/04/20 03:18 AM

Good going TLoving. I do that quite often with my Weber and homemade oak lump charcoal. I've found it's quite easy to control the temperature by keeping the bottom vents wide open and adjusting the burn by partial closure of the top vent. I scatter dry pecan or hickory chips along the snake for smoke.

I did a pork shoulder just like that last Saturday. Kept the temp at 275 and cooked to an internal temperature of 145 in about three hours. The picture below shows the charcoal burn status at the end of the cook.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Pork Shoulder - 06/04/20 10:45 AM

There are times I want to smoke some smaller items but do not want to mess with my stick burner smoker, next time I will pull out the 22" Weber Kettle and give it a go. Thanks for sharing.
Pork Shoulder looks tasty food
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Pork Shoulder - 06/04/20 11:20 AM

Prefer pork over beef.
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Pork Shoulder - 06/05/20 02:04 AM

Looks good TLove - is that a wild hog or store bought?

JR
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Pork Shoulder - 06/06/20 09:07 PM

Looks great, how does the Webber handle the HOT lump charcoal? they dont recommend it as it burns too hot.

Did this brisket point last weekend, Used indirect cooking and just monitord the thermometer every hour, it wasnt hard to keep it at 300*.

Now with a REC TEC, I could adjust the vents with my phone .....Dang, Im hungry !!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Pork Shoulder - 06/07/20 05:07 PM

I purchased the pork at HEB.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Pork Shoulder - 06/07/20 05:33 PM

Love a good butt on a Weber. I usually go indirect heat on 1 side but I'm going to have to try the snake soon!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Pork Shoulder - 06/08/20 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by TLoving
I purchased the pork at HEB.

They them on sale @ $1.29.

Re: Pork Shoulder - 06/08/20 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by greenen
Love a good butt on a Weber. I usually go indirect heat on 1 side but I'm going to have to try the snake soon!

After you try a snake I would be interested on how it worked for you.

When I try the 2 zone method (a hot side and a cooler side) I wind up with one side being closer to the coals a lot more cooked that the meat away from the coals.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Pork Shoulder - 06/08/20 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by TLoving
Originally Posted by greenen

After you try a snake I would be interested on how it worked for you.

When I try the 2 zone method (a hot side and a cooler side) I wind up with one side being closer to the coals a lot more cooked that the meat away from the coals.

True. I'll usually turn it while cooking.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum