Texas Hunting Forum

Ranch Style Bean Cornbread

Posted By: DannyB

Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/25/20 09:09 PM

This recipe is kind of vague because I created this on a whim. It was Great!!

1 Box Jiffy Cornbread Mix
1 Egg
1 Blob of sour cream. I'm guessing it was two big tablespoons. You can't really go wrong with sour cream.
1 Can of Ranch Style Beans. I drained just a little of the juice, no precise measured amount

Stir it all up and put it in a hot, oiled, cast iron skillet. Bake 20 minutes at 350. I think it was about an 8" skillet, not real big.

Fresh out of the oven it is more of a casserole consistency. I would post a picture, but it's all gone. grin

I was going to put some jalapenos in it, but was out. It was great just like it was. Next time I will likely put some shredded cheddar in it.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/25/20 09:17 PM

Now we're talking! I am going to make some and add Hatch chiles and cheese. I think I have a bit of smoked pork might throw in as well.

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/25/20 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Halfadozen
Now we're talking! I am going to make some and add Hatch chiles and cheese. I think I have a bit of smoked pork might throw in as well.

That does sound great! Let us know how it turns out!!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/25/20 09:41 PM

Gonna give this a try tomorrow with japs and cheddar.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/25/20 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by DannyB
Originally Posted by Halfadozen

That does sound great! Let us know how it turns out!!

With pictures!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/25/20 11:13 PM

New one on me. Have to try it.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/25/20 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
New one on me. Have to try it.

Same here.

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/26/20 01:15 AM

For anybody experimenting with this I bet cottage cheese would be as good if not better than the sour cream. As far as my recipe above with two big tablespoons of sour cream, they were two big heaped up tablespoons. Last night this whim idea literally went from a thought to in the oven by the time the temp hit 350. I was waiting on good hot cast iron.

I had this recipe my mom made forever for New Years Day on my mind when I threw this together last night. I posted this a while back. This recipe is awesome! I've meant to make it and substitute the broccoli with jalapenos. This recipe is some rich heavy cornbread.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...arch/true/broccoli-cornbread#Post7703652
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/26/20 05:21 AM

Have to try this.

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/26/20 07:51 PM

It turned out fantastic. Very moist and full of flavor. I added hot breakfast sausage as well as the coarse grated cheese and chiles. I did start with a mexican cornbread packet. The Ranch Style beans and juice added a unique flavor. I call it "cowboy cupcakes". Thanks for the inspiration DannyB!
Posted By: PROLINE19

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/27/20 02:30 PM

sounds yummy
Posted By: PMK

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/27/20 04:58 PM

sounds close to a recipe my wife and I make called Cowboy Cornbread that uses ground meat (browned and drained) and a can of ranch style beans (not drained) mixed with the browned meat, pour into a large cast iron skillet, mix up your cornbread mix including a can of cream style corn and sharp cheddar cheese, pour cornbread mix over the meat/bean mix and pop in the oven until cornbread is done ... makes for a meal in one
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/27/20 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
sounds close to a recipe my wife and I make called Cowboy Cornbread that uses ground meat (browned and drained) and a can of ranch style beans (not drained) mixed with the browned meat, pour into a large cast iron skillet, mix up your cornbread mix including a can of cream style corn and sharp cheddar cheese, pour cornbread mix over the meat/bean mix and pop in the oven until cornbread is done ... makes for a meal in one

I do similar with chili. Leftover chili in cast iron pan, pour cornbread mix on top and bake. Sometimes mix cheese in the cornbread mix, and sometimes just add to the top at the end and let melt.

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/28/20 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by PMK

I do similar with chili. Leftover chili in cast iron pan, pour cornbread mix on top and bake. Sometimes mix cheese in the cornbread mix, and sometimes just add to the top at the end and let melt.

Another great recipe!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/29/20 12:37 PM

Sounds like a good and natural combo, pics next time please!
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/29/20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by PMK

I tried this recipe, with some minor modifications, last night and it was a hit. Thanks for posting it.

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/29/20 03:38 PM

up I probably left something out as I am now recalling a can of original Rotel seems to have been in the mix confused2
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/29/20 07:09 PM

I added a packet of taco seasoning to the meat and half a can of Rotel. For me, a whole can would have been fine. I used two packets of corn bread mix and the bread was thicker than I preferred. Will use one next time. Just experimenting and am glad PMK provided the recipe as I had been wanting to prepare a dish like that.

Re: Ranch Style Bean Cornbread - 04/29/20 08:55 PM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum