Texas Hunting Forum

Bread Experiment

Posted By: mikei

Bread Experiment - 04/17/20 08:20 PM

I make up a concoction of coffee and sweetened condensed milk on a regular basis. I had a bit left over from the last batch, and decided to experiment by using it as a substitute for the water I normally use. The question in my mind was if there was anything about the coffee that would kill off or slow down the yeast from doing its thing. It worked fine. so I took a plain, old light bread recipe, eliminated the sugar called for because of the condensed milk, and let 'er rip. I turned out quite well if you think you might like coffee infused bread!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Bread Experiment - 04/17/20 08:52 PM

Did you get the same aroma in your kitchen?
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Bread Experiment - 04/17/20 08:57 PM

Can't find yeast anywhere, so switched to beer bread Like the idea though!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Bread Experiment - 04/17/20 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Halfadozen
Can't find yeast anywhere, so switched to beer bread Like the idea though!

I have a hard time believing that many people took up baking and using yeast. Bur flour and yeast is hard to find.

Re: Bread Experiment - 04/17/20 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

Yes, I did; and it had a kind of "roasted coffee" hint to it. The place smelled like a bakery that was working inside a coffee house!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Bread Experiment - 04/17/20 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by mikei

Yes, I did; and it had a kind of "roasted coffee" hint to it. The place smelled like a bakery that was working inside a coffee house!

How’s it taste?
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Bread Experiment - 04/17/20 11:15 PM

clap

Re: Bread Experiment - 04/17/20 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

How’s it taste?

Tastes great. The wife suggests that it needs a bit more sugar to take the edge off the "bitterness" of the coffee. But she likes her coffee with cream and sugar, and I prefer mine black. So, whatever your tastes (or your significant other's) dictate, go for it. An additional teaspoon of sugar won't hurt a thing.
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: Bread Experiment - 04/18/20 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

How’s it taste?

Tastes great. The wife suggests that it needs a bit more sugar to take the edge off the "bitterness" of the coffee. But she likes her coffee with cream and sugar, and I prefer mine black. So, whatever your tastes (or your significant other's) dictate, go for it. An additional teaspoon of sugar won't hurt a thing.

Personally I would go for french vanilla coffee creamer instead of sugar chef
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Bread Experiment - 04/18/20 05:53 AM

Sweet condensed milk in coffee isnt black coffee.

Re: Bread Experiment - 04/18/20 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Sweet condensed milk in coffee isnt black coffee.

Thank you for pointing that out, BigPig. I didn't realize, as an old submarine sailor, what black coffee was.

The "concoction" I referred to in my post is a Starbuck's knockoff drink that we make up and use as an ice coffee pick-me-up during the day.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Bread Experiment - 04/18/20 01:38 PM

Try half and half with turbinado sugar instead of Eagle brand. Good stuff.

Re: Bread Experiment - 04/18/20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Try half and half with turbinado sugar instead of Eagle brand. Good stuff.

Will do, Cast! Thanks for the suggestion. What ratio of half and half/turbinado do you recommend?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Bread Experiment - 04/18/20 03:36 PM

I do t know. I got it figured out for my Yeti cup only. I like Starbucks vanilla cold coffee and shoot for something like that. Three teaspoons of sugar and pour in cream until it comes back around to the surface. Just finished a cup.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Bread Experiment - 04/18/20 04:29 PM

If it’s the bitterness she doesn’t like you might consider adding a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. It doesn’t take much to remove a lot of bitterness.

Re: Bread Experiment - 04/18/20 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
I do t know. I got it figured out for my Yeti cup only. I like Starbucks vanilla cold coffee and shoot for something like that. Three teaspoons of sugar and pour in cream until it comes back around to the surface. Just finished a cup.

All right, thanks, Cast. I'll start with your ratio and just sneak up on it until I find the sweet spot for me.

Re: Bread Experiment - 04/18/20 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
If it’s the bitterness she doesn’t like you might consider adding a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. It doesn’t take much to remove a lot of bitterness.

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum