Texas Hunting Forum

Southern Bean Recipes

Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 01:49 AM

We live in Texas so I know some of you folks have to have an amazing southern bean recipe you're willing to share. Anybody? I have a really good sweet cornbread I want to make with it.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 02:05 AM

Ham bone, salt, pepper, garlic powder, pinto beans. Spoon it on top of your cornbread and spoon a heap of dixieland chow chow over it. Keep it simple.
Posted By: okiehuntr

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 02:12 AM

5 Star bean meal is the ""best meal" from this or any forum, search for it.
okiehuntr
Posted By: decook

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 11:13 AM

Here ya go -
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1120539/Five_Star_Pinto_Beans
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Ham bone, salt, pepper, garlic powder, pinto beans. Spoon it on top of your cornbread and spoon a heap of dixieland chow chow over it. Keep it simple.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

Similar here...use pinto bean seasoning....we make jalapeno/cheese cornbread.... food

Usually have some cabbage to go along with it...

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 12:49 PM

Is it true if you put a potato in the pot while cooking that it will take the tootin out of the beans? Don't eat the potato, just discard.

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 01:01 PM

Add cilantro.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 01:20 PM

Entire picnic ham: Boil until you're able to pull/shred it, this will take a few hours, don't dump the water the ham boiled in you will be using it later.
Chop: 2 sweet onions, 4 ribs of celery, 2 poblano peppers, 2 garlic cloves, bunch of cilantro.
Sautee the chopped vegetables over a stick a butter, toss in two whole jalapenos.
Seasoning: Chili power, cumino, salt, pepper and paprika.
Once the vegetables are cooked down dump a 32 oz can of stewed tomatoes, 32 oz bag of pinto that have been sorted through(no one likes a rock) and soaked over night, the ham bone and ham, use the ham water to cover everything.
Bring to a boil for 15 minutes and let simmer for at least 2 hours.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 01:24 PM

Man I will try this recipe, thanks for resuscitating it up

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Entire picnic ham: Boil until you're able to pull/shred it, this will take a few hours, don't dump the water the ham boiled in you will be using it later.
Chop: 2 sweet onions, 4 ribs of celery, 2 poblano peppers, 2 garlic cloves, bunch of cilantro.
Sautee the chopped vegetables over a stick a butter, toss in two whole jalapenos.
Once the vegetables are cooked down dump a 32 oz can of stewed tomatoes, 32 oz bag of pinto that have been sorted through(no one likes a rock) and soaked over night, the ham bone and ham, use the ham water to cover everything.

This looks dang good too
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 03:06 PM

2 pounds of pintos washed and soaked overnight.
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Freshly ground pepper

1 pound bacon ends, fried and drained.

Throw it all in a pot and cook it.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 04:02 PM

full bag of pinto beans, washed and soaked overnight, fill dutch oven with enough water to completely cover the beans on medium heat to low boil stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, 1 whole onion coarsely chopped, 1-2 jalapenos sliced (remove seeds & veins (or is it vanes?) for less hot), 1 pound breakfast sausage lightly cooked/drained, 1 pound bacon cooked & crumbled (or chopped if less firm), 4-5 green onions coarsely chopped, 4-5 cloves garlic chopped, 1 TBS black pepper, 1 TS onion powder, 1 TS garlic powder, 1/2 TS cumin, 1/4-1/2 TS cayenne ... let that roll for a couple of hours, increase liquid using a beer when needed to keep beans covered. Once the beans are soft, turn heat to low to reduce liquid by about 1/4 volume (this will be thick) ... salt to taste.

makes for a meal in itself
Posted By: bp3

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 07:36 PM

If you can find Casserole brand beans, people are hoarding worse than a## paper.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 07:40 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 09:42 PM

Bag of pinto's, ham hocks, and a package of Chill O mix. Perfect every time.

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/02/20 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Bag of pinto's, ham hocks, and a package of Chill O mix. Perfect every time.

Love ham hocks in there.

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/04/20 01:57 AM

I'm doing 2 recipes shown here at the same time. I will reveal who they are and which one wins based on family judging. Stay tuned.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/06/20 03:19 PM

popcorn

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/06/20 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
popcorn
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/06/20 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
popcorn

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/06/20 06:34 PM

I made two pots of beans and followed the two recipes quoted above. Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos. The family agreed that it was a tie, both were delicious.

Herbie's recipe has more of spicy mexican flavor and acidic from the tomato.

Decook's recipe is more of the traditional southern recipe. Good smoke flavor and hint of sweet.

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/08/20 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj

I made two pots of beans and followed the two recipes quoted above. Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos. The family agreed that it was a tie, both were delicious.

Decook's recipe is more of the traditional southern recipe. Good smoke flavor and hint of sweet.

So is my plaque in the mail?

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/08/20 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj

So is my plaque in the mail?

Yep, its on its way now.

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/08/20 11:14 PM

Bone in Easter hams are on sale for around a dollar per pound in all the stores this week. Try the ham bones.

Posted By: Stub

Re: Southern Bean Recipes - 04/14/20 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Stub

Man I will try this recipe, thanks for resuscitating it up

Getting the ingredients today and start cooking in the crock pot tomorrow am up

Ingredients:

2lb pinto beans
1/3 lb of fat back, cubed
1/3 lb of smoked bacon, diced into large chuncks
1 white or sweet onion course chopped
6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp salt and pepper