Texas Hunting Forum

Brisket Sous Vide Style

Posted By: Cast

Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/02/20 05:17 PM

50 hours at 135°, then three hours in the smoker. Rubbed with Black Ops. Something different. It’s got 29 1/2 hours to go.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All controlled by my phone -

[Linked Image]

This is my second Sous Vide cook. A few days ago we did three cheap sirloins at 133° for two hours and then seared them with a map torch. They were excellent. I’m betting this will be too.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/02/20 05:29 PM

I’m watching. Looks promising
Posted By: PMK

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/02/20 05:35 PM

interesting ... I will be curious to see if the connective tissue breaks down with it only being 135° ... 3 hours of smoke doesn't sound like much smoke (but I like heavy smoke) on an already 135° brisket. Keep us posted on how things progress. My initial thought is it will be very tough and/or chewy but I could be wrong.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/02/20 05:41 PM

Think bone broth. A long simmer renders the fat and turns the tough stuff into collagen. It should be very tender. I hear doing a chuck roast gets you pretty close to prime rib.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/02/20 06:17 PM

The old way ain’t broke...
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/02/20 06:28 PM

I've done numerous things with my sous vide, steaks come out badass, as well as the many ribeye roasts.
I tried doing ribs, following the instructions. Tenderness was great, but the taste was not very good at all. Not sure what happened but the taste was just off putting.
Probably won't do a brisket like this, but did you have to buy special wide bags, and if so, how did you vacuum seal it?
Love my Anova, but just have a hard time trusting something to be running for 3 days.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/02/20 06:32 PM

I used a 12” bag. It’s only half of the flat. I’ve got two more bags seasoned and ready in the freezer.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/02/20 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
I used a 12” bag. It’s only half of the flat. I’ve got two more bags seasoned and ready in the freezer.

Ok got ya. I've seen a 16# brisket done on a YouTube channel called sous vide everything. I just doubt the smokiness of it since it's only smoke for 3 hours. I'm on a sous vide FB page, and many swear by smoking before sous vide, and then after as well. I have no dog in that fight since I've never done a sous vide brisket.
Good luck.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/02/20 07:04 PM

I have also worried about how much smoke flavor a brisket would take on after it's be sous vide. I am very interested to see how this all turns out.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/02/20 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by rickym

Having a steak cooked perfectly every time is overrated.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/02/20 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted by rickym

Having a steak cooked perfectly every time is overrated.

As long as you cook it yourself and pay attention. Many don’t know how to do that.
Sorry that some people can’t cook and others are lazy.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/02/20 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by whitewing maniac

Ok got ya. I've seen a 16# brisket done on a YouTube channel called sous vide everything. I just doubt the smokiness of it since it's only smoke for 3 hours. I'm on a sous vide FB page, and many swear by smoking before sous vide, and then after as well. I have no dog in that fight since I've never done a sous vide brisket.
Good luck.

The brisket can only take smoke for about 3 hours anyway. Once the surface temp hits about 160°F smoke can't penetrate any further into the meat. You can throw it into the oven at that point and the smoke level will be the same. Although, It will cook differently in the oven, mostly due to the humidity differences in an oven vs. a smoker.

I sous vide a lot, but have never had the "want to" for a brisket. That's a long time and takes way to much planning ahead for me. If I were to do it, I would smoke for 3 hours, sous vide it, then smoke again long enough to dry the surface and "crisp" it back up. I'm excited to see how it turns out. The best way to become a great cook is not sticking to the old ways and trying to learn new stuff.
Posted By: NOLA101

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/03/20 05:23 PM

I'm interisted to see how it turns out. Sous vide is the only way I do stakes now a days

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/03/20 10:45 PM

It’s almost done.

[Linked Image]

From here it goes in ice to stop it cooking immediately, then ine fridge overnight. I’ll smoke it in the morning. It’s whiskey time now.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/04/20 12:15 AM

What in tarnation.....
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/04/20 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
What in tarnation.....

Good food.
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/04/20 03:36 AM

food
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/04/20 03:05 PM

Dang this isn't finished yet?

New idea for the worlds longest cook... someone get a brisket and dry age it for 40 days then sos vide it for 30 hours then chill it for a day or three then smoke it for 12 hours lol

Seriously Im interested to see how this turns out, but I don't think I will ever have the time or patients to devote to this.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/04/20 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Dang this isn't finished yet?

New idea for the worlds longest cook... someone get a brisket and dry age it for 40 days then sos vide it for 30 hours then chill it for a day or three then smoke it for 12 hours lol

Seriously Im interested to see how this turns out, but I don't think I will ever have the time or patients to devote to this.

For sure not a brisket, I hope it will be worth the trouble.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/04/20 04:02 PM

I went out on the back porch to fire up the smoker and turned around and came back in. Too cold, wet and windy. I’ll smoke it tomorrow.

It sure ain’t pretty now, but the smoker will probably fix that. It reminds me of pastrami..:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/04/20 10:45 PM

SUCCESS!

I couldn’t stand it, so I put it in smoke between rainstorms. It’s extremely tender, it’s tasty, and it’s the only way I’ll do brisket from now on. The slices with fat in them are the best.

I saw some comments about all the trouble. It’s actually much less trouble than a normal 14 - 16 hour smoke. And yeah, it’s got plenty of smoke in it. I started it on hickory and finished it on mesquite in the MES. Two hours at 135°, last hour at 150°.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/04/20 10:47 PM

Sorry, but that does not look appetizing at all. Where is the bark?
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/04/20 10:49 PM

what was the internal temp of the brisket when it finished on the smoker?

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/04/20 10:49 PM

It really looks like pastrami.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/04/20 10:51 PM

Yep, it’s a little different. Closer to a really tender steak.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/04/20 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Scott W
what was the internal temp of the brisket when it finished on the smoker?

I didn’t check it. It’s fully cooked in the Sous vide.
Posted By: NOLA101

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 05:21 PM

Looks pretty good, I've done prime rib and steaks in the sous vide, but never a brisket. I may have to give this a try at some point.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 05:42 PM

Looks good.
Posted By: RobertY

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 05:45 PM

Cast woke up one day and said "what can I cook for the next 73 hours of my life"

Looks good dude. I'd hit that. Def looks more like pastrami and would probably make a killer "texas dip" with the au ju

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 06:30 PM

We just had tacos from it. Pretty awesome stuff. I’ll do it again for sure.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 07:18 PM

Looks good, bet it tasted great food
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 07:40 PM

Curious why it stayed pink in the middle... no funny business now.

All jokes aside im sure its tasty.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 08:12 PM

It’s pink because it’s cooked only to 135° in the sous vide. That’s the topside of rare beef. When held at that temp for 50 hours it gets really tender and the seasoning gets all the way through it. It’s a smoked steak now, and a good one.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 08:38 PM

Brisket is normally cooked to 197-205(ish) on a smoker. It's barely getting started at 135. Doesn't sound like you wanted a full BBQ smoked brisket. If it tastes good, then eat it!

I've been trying to talk some of my friends into trying sous vide so I could taste it before I get one. I like the concept of it, but don't think I'd cook a brisket in it.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 09:21 PM

Whereas brisket is closely associated with BBQ brisket, it is really just another cut of meat. Low and slow smoking is the way that 99% of brisket is prepared. Sous vide is just another way to prepare it.

Low and slow smoking dries out the meat a little, building the bark that we love while we watch the internal temp.

Sous vide traps the moisture and holds the meat at a specific temp until the meat is tender and the fat rendered, but the meat remains rare. Silver skin and gristle will render into collagen as well, like a stew or bone broth. There will be no bark. The brisket is at your chosen temp and color on the surface and throughout the meat. It’s perfectly cooked but still looks kinda raw. I used Black Ops rub on this one to get some color on the surface. Then I smoked it adding more color and great taste.

In short, I started with a brisket but ended up with a beautiful smoked steak. I could have just used SPG on it and seared it to make it look like a steak. Maybe next time. So, when I say ‘Brisket Sous Vide Style’ I’m not expecting to see a 407 brisket, I’m expecting a super tender cut of beef.

And that is exactly what we had for lunch today.

I believe my next one will start with a chuck roast, and end with something akin to prime rib roast.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Scott W
Brisket is normally cooked to 197-205(ish) on a smoker. It's barely getting started at 135. Doesn't sound like you wanted a full BBQ smoked brisket. If it tastes good, then eat it!

I've been trying to talk some of my friends into trying sous vide so I could taste it before I get one. I like the concept of it, but don't think I'd cook a brisket in it.

The sous vide is worth it for sure when it comes to steaks and certain wild game cuts. Also doing a lobster tail in it is amazing.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 10:12 PM

Whereas brisket is closely associated with BBQ brisket, it is really just another cut of meat. Low and slow smoking is the way that 99% of brisket is prepared. Sous vide is just another way to prepare it.

Low and slow smoking dries out the meat a little, building the bark that we love while we watch the internal temp.

Sous vide traps the moisture and holds the meat at a specific temp until the meat is tender and the fat rendered, but the meat remains rare. Silver skin and gristle will render into collagen as well, like a stew or bone broth. There will be no bark. The brisket is at your chosen temp and color on the surface and throughout the meat. It’s perfectly cooked but still looks kinda raw. I used Black Ops rub on this one to get some color on the surface. Then I smoked it adding more color and great taste.

In short, I started with a brisket but ended up with a beautiful smoked steak. I could have just used SPG on it and seared it to make it look like a steak. Maybe next time. So, when I say ‘Brisket Sous Vide Style’ I’m not expecting to see a 407 brisket, I’m expecting a super tender cut of beef.

And that is exactly what we had for lunch today.

I believe my next one will start with a chuck roast, and end with something akin to prime rib roast.

While I still hate the idea of what you did to the brisket, I’d be very interested in you doing another and smoking for 2 hours prior to putting it in the bath tub.
People that hate this idea are the same ones who hate an oven cooked brisket(myself included)

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 10:19 PM

I don’t think it would’ve make a bit of difference. It got plenty of smoke in it the way I did it.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 10:20 PM

I wonder if this could be reversed to get more smoke ... like putting it on a pit for 3-6 hours to get the smoke, then vacuum sealing and sous vide ... then maybe tossing back on the pit to firm up the bark ... hmmm, interesting concept either way.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 10:24 PM

Guys, it really doesn’t need more smoke. We were surprised that it was so loaded with smoke actually. Somebody needs to come over here and get a sample.

If folks have been getting too little smoke using my method it may be that they heated it above 135°.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 10:30 PM

I didn't think the meat would take on much, if any, smoke flavor once it was already cooked???? Kinda like a steak that is seared to a medium rare then put in the smoker doesn't have near the smoke flavor as the reverse sear method

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 10:37 PM

I’ve always thought that keeping the brisket surface below 200° lets it continue to catch and hold smoke. It is definitely true that a 135° max temp will catch and hold smoke. I took it out of the fridge for lunch and when I unwrapped it, the kitchen smelled like smoke. Makes your mouth water.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/05/20 10:45 PM

gotcha ... I thought the temperature was much lower than 200°, more like 150-160°, so I can see your point about it taking on smoke now that I think about it if it was 135°. Makes sense

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/06/20 04:47 AM

Guys, it really doesn’t need more smoke. We were surprised that it was so loaded with smoke actually. Somebody needs to come over here and get a sample.

If folks have been getting too little smoke using my method it may be that they heated it above 135°.

I definitely want a sample.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/06/20 03:25 PM

I just put a chuck roast in this morning. Salt, pepper, and fresh garlic and thyme. Planning on cooking it at 135 until dinner time tomorrow. I'll be sure to let you know how it turned out.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/06/20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by SherpaPhil

I just put a chick roast in this morning. Salt, pepper, and fresh garlic and thyme. Planning on cooking it at 135 until dinner time tomorrow. I'll be sure to let you know how it turned out.

I did a chuck roast and it was pretty good, I think I cooked mine for 27 hours. It was really hard to tell it was a chuck roast.

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/06/20 03:44 PM

Definitely interested in how it turns out.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/06/20 08:10 PM

MMMM boiled meat. food

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/06/20 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN
MMMM boiled meat. food

It took you long enough...
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/06/20 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN
MMMM boiled meat. food

It took you long enough...

You spent 53 hours cooking a brisket and call me slow? confused2

It does look good though. up
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/07/20 12:18 AM

We just had tacos from it. Pretty awesome stuff. I’ll do it again for sure.

Would.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/08/20 05:20 AM

The chuck roast turned out great. Definitely give it a shot.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7765912/sous-vide-chuck-roast#Post7765912

Re: Brisket Sous Vide Style - 03/09/20 07:18 PM

I may have to buy me a cheap brisket to throw in the sous vide. But will smoke it first, as I've seen a few vids on this. But a whole brisket, 8-10# one. I just kinda worry about leaving it unattended during the day while at work.
Did a venison backstrap sous vide, low smoked first, then sous vide, then a HIGH HEAT sear, that was the best strap I've ever had.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum