Texas Hunting Forum

Coleslaw

Posted By: bill oxner

Coleslaw - 02/23/20 11:36 PM

I was born at home. I picked cotton. We always grew a fall garden. It included cabbage. My momma made coleslaw with the cabbage. She added carrots. One head of cabbage will make enough slaw to feed 15 people. Ive chopped enough for up to 100. I'm really good at chopping cabbage for coleslaw, but I don't anymore.

I now buy the bag of coleslaw mix from Walmart. I have a little jar. I put equal parts of vinegar, mayo, and oil in there. I like my slaw sweet. I sprinkle the top of the mix with salt, black pepper, cayenne, and then with a generous amount of sugar. Toss and its a done deal. It gets better as the days go by. You?
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Coleslaw - 02/23/20 11:39 PM

My wife makes it when we have it. It is one of the things I have never made. She buys a bag of coleslaw mix and goes from there.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Coleslaw - 02/24/20 12:17 AM

I've never made it, but I like KFC and Chick Fil A's coleslaw. Unfortunately no more at Chick Fil A.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Coleslaw - 02/24/20 01:17 AM

We use chopped green cabbage, purple cabbage and carrots. For the dressing we start with Marzetti Slaw Mix and add finely chopped sweet onions, salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder and rice wine vinegar. The rice wine vinegar gives it a slightly sweet taste.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Coleslaw - 02/24/20 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by jetdad
I've never made it, but I like KFC and Chick Fil A's coleslaw. Unfortunately no more at Chick Fil A.

Chicken express has good slaw.
Posted By: stillhntr

Re: Coleslaw - 02/24/20 01:26 AM

Green and purple cabbage, carrots all hand chopped,miracle whip, white wine vinegar and sugar , some dried cranberries as well. Let it sit for a few hours

Kinda shy on those bag salads
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Coleslaw - 02/24/20 01:49 AM

Ingredients
1 large head of cabbage, finely shredded
1 small head of red cabbage finely shredded
1 medium bell pepper, finely chopped
1 medium sweet onions, finely chopped
2 carrots, grated

Dressing:
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 cup cider vinegar

Combine coleslaw vegetable ingredients; chopped cabbage, chopped bell pepper, chopped onions, and grated carrots in a large serving bowl.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring, until sugar is dissolved; pour over vegetables and toss well. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Coleslaw - 02/24/20 04:08 PM

we usually just buy the bags at HEB or Walmart ... I will fill a cereal bowl about 2/3 full of the slaw, chop 1-2 roma tomatoes, finely sliced sweet onion and top with salsa (prefer homemade) ... makes for a great salad. Occasionally, I will use HEB garlic Italian or a balsamic vinegar instead of the salsa.
Posted By: RobertY

Re: Coleslaw - 02/25/20 01:04 AM

I love coleslaw. Prefer sweeter over vinegar. I have an Asian style coleslaw I really enjoy too. I should probably post that recipe soon.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Coleslaw - 03/06/20 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by RobertYuras
I love coleslaw. Prefer sweeter over vinegar. I have an Asian style coleslaw I really enjoy too. I should probably post that recipe soon.

I use Nakano rice vinegar. It has a great flavor and the perfect sweetness. You're probably the best cook on this forum and your recipe would be appreciated by all!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Coleslaw - 03/06/20 05:08 PM

Cole slaw fan here also. I like sweet and the vinegar base, but prefer the vinegar more. The sweet just gets too sweet for me.

Recipe I use most often is out of a Paula Dean book cabbage, salt, sugar, pepper, mayo, apple cider vinegar. Its still a little too sweet for my taste, but the best recipe I have come by.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Coleslaw - 03/06/20 07:39 PM

Creamy Cilantro Lime Coleslaw Recipe
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum