Texas Hunting Forum

Wild hog bacon?

Posted By: AMF

Wild hog bacon? - 02/14/20 03:06 PM

Can you get decent bacon from the belly meat of wild hogs ?
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Wild hog bacon? - 02/14/20 03:37 PM

Not really. They need to be monsters to get enough to make bacon. I've pulled the belly and cut it to show people on 150+ pound hogs and it's just not big enough. Remember when you brine and smoke it you will get a lot of shrinkage. I've heard of people getting good bacon on 450+ pound hogs.
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Wild hog bacon? - 02/14/20 03:38 PM

Yes. But like Thisisbeer says.. it takes a really big and fat mature pig to have the bellies big enough to really mess with... I made some last year from a 205lb sow that had been feeding on a sunflower patch all fall - big commercial sunflowers (not the little wild ones).
Posted By: rickym

Re: Wild hog bacon? - 02/14/20 07:06 PM

Best wild bacon I’ve had was from one we trapped and fed out on pure corn for 10 days before shooting. And there still wasn’t much on it for a 250+ pound pig.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Wild hog bacon? - 02/15/20 10:26 PM

Someone made what they called bacon from another cut of the hog awhile back.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Wild hog bacon? - 02/16/20 08:42 PM

We use to buy the used up sows from a hog farm, they would feed them for a while then sell them. Weighed 400-500 lbs. and very lean,had to add grease to skillet to fry bacon, was mighty good. The pork chops were solid hunks of meat, not soft and mushy like on a top hog.
Posted By: Jesse Griffiths

Re: Wild hog bacon? - 02/17/20 04:55 PM

You'll be hard pressed to get sliceable bacon, but you can certainly cure and smoke fattier bellies to produce a really good "bacon flavored product". I'll often make pancetta (cured, unsmoked belly) and even smoked belly to use diced up wherever you need bacon. Fatty, acorn-fed hogs are best for this. To get slices, you'd need a monster hog - probably a sow - and it would need to have been eating really well.
A simple cure of salt, pepper, brown sugar and molasses (or maple syrup) for a few days followed by a warm smoke in the 180 degree range will yield some pretty good stuff.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum