Texas Hunting Forum

Duck Hearts

Posted By: LeaseGuy

Duck Hearts - 01/16/20 04:58 PM

Haven't ever posted on here, but with duck season winding to a close, I had to say something. I used the meateater recipe for grilled duck hearts, and let me tell you, they were DELICIOUS. Don't let them go to waste! Tasted a lot like dove breast to me!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Duck Hearts - 01/16/20 06:03 PM

welcome

New one on me. Seems like a lot of work for a little bit of food. On the other hand may momma always saved the liver, gizzard, and hearts when she was cutting chicken up to fry.

Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Duck Hearts - 01/16/20 07:08 PM

We always saved hearts and gizzards from dove, if there were a bunch of us I would collect them from those who didn't want them.
Posted By: Schat

Re: Duck Hearts - 01/16/20 07:43 PM

Coming from a father that lived through the depression in Oklahoma, if it swam flew or crawled, it got in a pot. We would save all the livers, gizzards and hearts trough out the seasons. It they did not make it in to cornbread dressing, there would be a meal of hearts & gizzards. Battered and deep fried, we would then try to guess what species it came out. The livers went to cat fishing. Then later in life ran around with a group from south of I-10 and fried coots and gizzards were very common.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Duck Hearts - 01/16/20 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by fmrmbmlm
We always saved hearts and gizzards from dove, if there were a bunch of us I would collect them from those who didn't want them.

yep, we did that for years too, used to eat them like candy when mom German fried them ... no one in my family cares for dove, much less hearts, gizzards and livers.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum