Texas Hunting Forum

Fish any one ?

Posted By: 1860.colt

Fish any one ? - 01/13/20 08:01 PM

[Linked Image]

food bounce

edit : bang my bad thouggt this was the offtopic section.
flag
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/13/20 08:09 PM

Looks great!
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/13/20 08:10 PM

up
Did this yesterday with trout stocked in the community lake.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/13/20 08:52 PM

cheers

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/13/20 09:06 PM

Colt.45 what did you batter your fish with? Mine is coors light, flour and Slap Ya Mama white pepper blend with a few secret extra spicy ingredients. flame

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 01:24 AM

[Linked Image]
Mixed 1/2 &1/2
flag
Posted By: JCB

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 01:34 AM

I cooked fish tonight as well. Mostly Sandbass but a few Crappie mixed in from last summer. I use the Louisiana fish batter as well but I use the one with the corn flour base instead of the corn meal base. It gives it a lighter crust.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 01:46 AM

I like plain corn meal, Slap Ya Mama, and garlic powder.

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 04:57 AM

confused2 why would ya wanna " slap ya momma? "
rofl tis a scratch that B a brand name...
cheers have used the corn meal, bang not able ta find the one with corn fllour (Louisiana).
bounce always enjoyed the sandbass, they should be running , forget when they start.
hook_n_line coolpics they used ta release trout in Tyler State Park, just down road were lived.
up enjoyed all input...
Best wish's...
flag
Posted By: decook

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 11:51 AM

Good to go colt

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 01:09 PM

Very in fish batter.

[Linked Image]

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 03:01 PM

hook_n_line cheers havent seen that here yet...
rofl it probley melt the snow off D boots...

flag

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 03:10 PM

I sprinkle it on the concrete blocks of the camp house too. No mice get in the camp house any more but late a at night I can here mouse sneezes on under the porch. roflmao
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 03:13 PM

roflmao

food
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by hook_n_line
up
Did this yesterday with trout stocked in the community lake.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you're in the DFW area you really need to run up to Beaver's Bend if you like trout. IMO the trout up there taste much better and are much bigger. Probably from the same hatchery - but the cleaner water makes them taste much better IMO.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 03:27 PM

Not sure if it was the water or what, but I took my little boy the last 2 years for the trout stocking in local park ponds etc. and they had a very off taste to them both times. My boy loves fish and wouldn't eat them. I ate them but it was far from what I would call good fish.

Think this year we are just gonna go chase some white bass and leave the trout alone.

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Not sure if it was the water or what, but I took my little boy the last 2 years for the trout stocking in local park ponds etc. and they had a very off taste to them both times. My boy loves fish and wouldn't eat them. I ate them but it was far from what I would call good fish.

Think this year we are just gonna go chase some white bass and leave the trout alone.

I've noticed that when we catch fish out of ponds with lots of vegetation in them.

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by hook_n_line
I sprinkle it on the concrete blocks of the camp house too. No mice get in the camp house any more but late a at night I can here mouse sneezes on under the porch. roflmao

rofl
flag
Posted By: Stub

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 06:22 PM

Looks dayum good food Colt what kind of fish was it?

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 07:01 PM

Perch...hmm, nidea has anyone wrapped fish in bacon ?
Do my fish in confused2 deepfrier, kinda-sorda-maybe...
Once & awhile in fry pan...
cheers Have noticed the taste of fish tis differant in lakes..
As kid remember going up north for sunfish. Uncle had a pontoon.
bounce 20+ft deep & water so clear could see D fish...
flag

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 07:16 PM

Have never wrapped fish in bacon.... hmmmmm

I ate a lot of perch bream blue gill whatever you want to call them, im front Texas and they are perch to me! lol

Fished a lot at my grandmothers farm in Clifton on a spring fed creek, they were always good eating.

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by colt.45
Perch...hmm, nidea has anyone wrapped fish in bacon ?
Do my fish in confused2 deepfrier, kinda-sorda-maybe...
Once & awhile in fry pan...
cheers Have noticed the taste of fish tis differant in lakes..
As kid remember going up north for sunfish. Uncle had a pontoon.
bounce 20+ft deep & water so clear could see D fish...
flag

I've wrapped fresh black fin tuna and deer backstrap in bacon on the gill.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pop r

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 09:36 PM

food up All looks great!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/14/20 10:28 PM

I ate a lot of perch bream blue gill whatever you want to call them, im front Texas and they are perch to me! lol

Fished a lot at my grandmothers farm in Clifton on a spring fed creek, they were always good eating.

Perch is actually a type of cold water fish that is from up north. The bluegill and sunfish you’re used to are not perch.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/15/20 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by rickym

Perch is actually a type of cold water fish that is from up north. The bluegill and sunfish you’re used to are not perch.

Sure they are. They are whatever name you regionally know them as or whatever you used growing up with. I grew up calling sunfish "Perch" as did all my friends. And as did my Father and my Grandfather when taking me fishing all my life. They were from western Oklahoma and I suppose that is what they always called any variety of sunfish up there. Kids I knew that moved here from up north called Sunfish "Bream" pronounced "breem". And while vacationing with my parents in Florida every year, I remember Snow Birds calling Bream "Brim" which I later learned would be the Brit way of saying it. A real Bream or "Brim" is a type of minnow that those Euro anglers fish for across the Big Pond. And of course the Atlantic Ocean is not really a pond and vacationing North Easterners are not really Birds.

Other fish names I have always used and heard in Texas that technically are not right are Mudcats for all species of Bullhead Catfish though I always knew local old timers would be talking about Flatheads when talking about Mud Cats. I also grew up using "Goggle Eye" for Warmouth and still do. White Bass will as always roll off my tongue as a "Sand Bass". I have always used and heard people in Texas say "Rio Grande Perch. Really a Cichlid. Then there is that crazy Bowfin that has more regional names than any of them. I like to use the original Choctaw name Choupique for them pronounced "Shoe Pick". I met someone on Caddo lake once calling them "Mud Trout", but if I were to tell them their "Mud Trout" is not really a Trout they would probably give me the same duh look I would give you when you told me my "Perch" is not really a Perch.
peep

rock_on

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/15/20 01:26 PM

White perch is really a crappie. We always called them white perch.

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/15/20 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by rickym

That's good for you, like I explained above I know what they are and to me and mine and most of Texas they are perch cowboy
Posted By: PMK

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/15/20 08:09 PM

same here redchevy ... used to perch fish in all the area creeks, stock ponds, lakes, etc. ... might have an official different name but was always a perch to me
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/15/20 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
same here redchevy ... used to perch fish in all the area creeks, stock ponds, lakes, etc. ... might have an official different name but was always a perch to me

yep.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/15/20 09:43 PM

We called blue gills white perch when I was growing up.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/15/20 10:11 PM

There are lots of fish called by another name like this thread has lead to pointing out.

There is the yellow perch native to North America, it is a northern fish, not native to the South. Colt.45 in the north where the yellow perch is a native species and a lot of people fish for them there. I caught some while working in Michigan in 98. Good eating little fish.

Many of us grew up fishing for and catching and eating "perch" that in reality are sunfish of some sort like the large mouth bass is a member of the sunfish family as well as bluegill, red ear, Worm mouth....

One thing about all of those, if they are from clean water they are all good eating, especially baby bass cheers
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/15/20 10:15 PM

I grew up calling them bream….
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/15/20 11:27 PM

Goggle Eye?
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/16/20 05:47 PM

food
Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/17/20 02:30 AM

You all can call them what you want, just don’t call me to late for supper! I’m just sayin!!

Re: Fish any one ? - 01/19/20 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Pupjoint
You all can call them what you want, just don’t call me to late for supper! I’m just sayin!!

cheers
flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum