Texas Hunting Forum

Wilted Salad

Posted By: Cast

Wilted Salad - 01/11/20 01:00 PM

Looking at the cabbage thread fired an old neuron. I recalled a wilted lettuce (or spinach) salad with bacon from long ago. I also recall that it was delish. Anybody got this recipe?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Wilted Salad - 01/11/20 01:04 PM

We made it with lose leaf lettuce from the garden. Just as you described it. Warm bacon grease and vinegar.

Re: Wilted Salad - 01/11/20 01:26 PM

Did it have sugar in the dressing?

Re: Wilted Salad - 01/11/20 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Did it have sugar in the dressing?

Don't think so. I'd probably use balsamic vinegar now. Cathy brought this from Italy.

[Linked Image]

Re: Wilted Salad - 01/11/20 03:13 PM

I just researched it. It does have sugar in it and a chopped hard boiled egg. Some folks like it without the sugar, but it’s in all recipes I found.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Wilted Salad - 01/11/20 03:56 PM

Killed cabbage salad, maybe? It was a staple on the steam boats.

Re: Wilted Salad - 01/11/20 04:05 PM

Yes, it’s also called ‘killed’ or ‘kilt’ salad. You can use fresh spinach leaves too. I remember liking it a lot, but can’t remember the last time I had it.

I’ll refresh that memory soon...
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Wilted Salad - 01/11/20 04:25 PM

Ate fresh mustard greens from the garden that way a lot growing up. We had no sugar in it after one of the sisters became type 1 diabetic, we cut lots of sugar out of our diet at the table,

Re: Wilted Salad - 01/11/20 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by kmon1
Ate fresh mustard greens from the garden that way a lot growing up.

Mustard greens? I was born a twin and separated at birth. You must be my long lost twin. cheers
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: Wilted Salad - 01/11/20 05:29 PM

Fresh spinach from garden, cooked down bacon, splash of balsamic. No Sugar Served with Hamburger Steak patty LOVE IT!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum