Texas Hunting Forum

Cornbread

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Cornbread - 01/07/20 12:47 AM

Of course, I prefer sweet cornbread.

whats the best sweet cornbread mix or recipe? I want to bake it in my cast iron fry-pan, heavily coated with bacon grease
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Cornbread - 01/07/20 12:57 AM

Morrison Milling has a Texas Style honey flavored mix, never tried it. But we use their other mixes. A company in 1886 in Denton.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Cornbread - 01/07/20 01:37 AM

I do scratch.

[Linked Image]

2/3 cup cornmeal

1/3 cup flour

2 T sugar

2 t baking powder

Pinch of salt

1 egg

Milk to texture

Always put your oil in the pan and heat it first into a hot oven @ 400°.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Cornbread - 01/07/20 01:48 AM

This is the recipe I've been using lately, from an old Betty Crocker cook book. My gang likes it a lot. I like sweet cornbread too.
I double this recipe and use one of my 15" cast iron skillets so that I can have leftovers for cornbread & milk (desert). A pre-heated cast iron skillet is a must. Hot skillet/drop in bacon grease & swirl around/pour in batter & bake.
[Linked Image]

up

Re: Cornbread - 01/07/20 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
This is the recipe I've been using lately, from an old Betty Crocker cook book. My gang likes it a lot. I like sweet cornbread too.
I double this recipe and use one of my 15" cast iron skillets so that I can have leftovers for cornbread & milk (desert). A pre-heated cast iron skillet is a must. Hot skillet/drop in bacon grease & swirl around/pour in batter & bake.
[Linked Image]

up

I pour the shortening into a hot pan. Try it. Thank me later.

Re: Cornbread - 01/07/20 01:59 AM

Shortening in the mix, bacon grease in the skillet. Way more better. smile

Re: Cornbread - 01/07/20 02:10 AM

duel
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Cornbread - 01/07/20 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
duel

Your marie callender frozen meal type cooking does not hold a candle to what Skinner can do in a kitchen.

Re: Cornbread - 01/07/20 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by 2Beez
duel

Your marie callender frozen meal type cooking does not hold a candle to what Skinner can do in a kitchen.

That a Yankee recipe from Betty Crocker. Uses equal parts of meal and flour. My recipe was handed down from great southern cooks. More meal than flour and poured in hot oil or lard and curls up around the edges.

worthless
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Cornbread - 01/07/20 03:11 AM

Gonna make some Mexican cornbread with creamcorn and green chilis from scratch.

Re: Cornbread - 01/07/20 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by 2Beez
duel

That a Yankee recipe from Betty Crocker. Uses equal parts of meal and flour. My recipe was handed down from great southern cooks. More meal than flour and poured in hot oil or lard and curls up around the edges.

worthless

roflmao Bill, I've made the 2/3 meal recipe all of my life until last year. We like this now roflmao I was trying to tell you, pour your batter into hot BACON GREASE. It makes a huge difference in flavor vs oil/lard/shortening. The batter starts frying as soon as you pour it in and will give you a nice crispy crust. I don't put the grease in at first because it will burn/smoke. It only takes a few seconds for the bacon grease to melt.

Re: Cornbread - 01/07/20 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
Gonna make some Mexican cornbread with creamcorn and green chilis from scratch.

That sounds good.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Cornbread - 01/07/20 01:51 PM

my mother and mother in law used to always make regular and sweet cornbread from scratch ... but later in life, they both switched over to HEB Hill Country Fare package mixes, said it tasted about as good as their scratch recipe but a lot less trouble. My wife now uses that also.

Re: Cornbread - 01/07/20 02:21 PM

S
Originally Posted by PMK
my mother and mother in law used to always make regular and sweet cornbread from scratch ... but later in life, they both switched over to HEB Hill Country Fare package mixes, said it tasted about as good as their scratch recipe but a lot less trouble. My wife now uses that also.

It is good stuff Sir.

Re: Cornbread - 01/07/20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by PMK

I looked it up. Yellow cornmeal is the first ingredient listed in the regular mix. Flour is the first ingredient listed in their honey sweet mix.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Cornbread - 01/08/20 01:23 AM

[Linked Image]

Made this tonight.

Re: Cornbread - 01/08/20 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
[Linked Image]

Made this tonight.

Looks great. Jalapeños?
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Cornbread - 01/08/20 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
[Linked Image]

Made this tonight.

cheers

Re: Cornbread - 01/08/20 03:05 AM

Yes Mr. Oxner, it’s a mix, I added sugar, onions, corn and Jalapeños

Re: Cornbread - 01/08/20 03:05 AM

And a bunch of cheddar cheese
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Cornbread - 01/08/20 04:00 AM

Absolutely would food
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Cornbread - 01/08/20 05:22 AM

All looks and sounds great. My wife only does Jiffy, and it sucks.

But I didn’t marry her for her cornbread making.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Cornbread - 01/08/20 01:43 PM

Here is a very old recipe card that we recently found while cleaning out mom’s house. We have tweaked it a little through the years, but it’s a real good place to start developing your prize winning Mexican cornbread.

[Linked Image]

Thanks mom. We miss you.

Re: Cornbread - 01/08/20 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Here is a very old recipe card that we recently found while cleaning out mom’s house. We have tweaked it a little through the years, but it’s a real good place to start developing your prize winning Mexican cornbread.

[Linked Image]

Thanks mom. We miss you.

More to my liking. Two cups cornmeal with 1/2 cup flour. Pour over bacon grease rather than mix with bacon grease.
cheers
Posted By: PMK

Re: Cornbread - 01/08/20 05:04 PM

Cast, that's very close to another recipe we use called Cowboy Cornbread that also uses 1 pound of ground hamburger (browned) that makes for a good and simple meal in one. (except we use the HEB cornbread package mix).
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Cornbread - 01/11/20 04:00 AM

Pioneer has a good sweet cornbread mix.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Cornbread - 01/11/20 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

From the other thread watch out for sodium content in some of those mixes
Posted By: Cast

Re: Cornbread - 01/11/20 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by kmon1

Why? Salt is actually good for us.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Cornbread - 01/11/20 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Originally Posted by kmon1

Why? Salt is actually good for us.

With stage 3B kidney disease, my numbers are much better and I want to keep from those 3 times a week visits as long as I can. On an 800mg of sodium a day diet my numbers are almost normal, That is the reason and we reduced the blood pressure medicine with this diet. I say for some of us it is worth it, I know I feel much better,

Just because some things they have found Salt is not bad for there are other that is still the case for all.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum