Texas Hunting Forum

Turkey and Pork on the smoker together

Posted By: CharlieCTx

Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/23/19 11:20 PM

My wife is trying to control my brain again and has put doubt in my head that I can't put a Turkey breast and a Pork shoulder in my Masterbuilt Smoker at the same time as the taste will be off. I can see a drip pan in between the two (Turkey on top shelf), but smells are not going to intermix. Agree?

Charlie
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/23/19 11:53 PM

Agree. If you listen to a woman about smoking meat you should voluntarily turn in your man card.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/24/19 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
My wife is trying to control my brain again and has put doubt in my head that I can't put a Turkey breast and a Pork shoulder in my Masterbuilt Smoker at the same time as the taste will be off. I can see a drip pan in between the two (Turkey on top shelf), but smells are not going to intermix. Agree?

Charlie

I don't see a problem, just use the drip tray.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/24/19 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by jetdad
Agree. If you listen to a woman about smoking meat you should voluntarily turn in your man card.

cheers
Posted By: kmon1

Re: Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/24/19 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

Charlie

I don't see a problem, just use the drip tray.

X2
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/24/19 01:42 AM

I'd put the pork above the turkey and let the pork drippings coat the turkey. Bet that would send her into orbit. grin Done it many times with ribs over the turkey.
Posted By: 2Beez

Re: Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/24/19 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by bobcat1
I'd put the pork above the turkey and let the pork drippings coat the turkey. Bet that would send her into orbit. grin Done it many times with ribs over the turkey.

I cannot argue with this logic to be honest.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/24/19 02:01 AM

X3

This is what I'd do.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/24/19 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by 2Beez

I cannot argue with this logic to be honest.

Yep.
Posted By: Birddogger

Re: Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/24/19 05:13 AM

Pork fat makes everything better!!
Posted By: PMK

Re: Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/24/19 05:17 PM

no issue that I see ... I do brisket, turkey, pork ribs, variety of sausages and fajitas all during the same smoke/cook ...
Posted By: decook

Re: Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/24/19 06:41 PM

Anything cooked outside is the full domain of the man. You own it Charlie
Posted By: Jon P

Re: Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/24/19 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Birddogger

This is the winner right here I believe
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/25/19 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jon P
Originally Posted by Birddogger

This is the winner right here I believe

Next time just lay several strips of bacon over the turkey when you put it in the smoker..... up
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/25/19 08:20 PM

This^ and it will be fine. You aren’t roasting a wild hog shoulder above it.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/26/19 03:07 AM

I ended up wire tying a foil pan to the grate under the turkey, which was in the top part of the smoker. I agree putting the shoulder on top and having the pork juice on the bird should be a good flavorizer.

All ended up coming out great!

Charlie
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Turkey and Pork on the smoker together - 12/26/19 04:09 AM

When I had a vertical smoker, I always smoked chicken or two under the pork butt. As said above, pork fat makes everything more better.
© 2020 Texas Hunting Forum