Texas Hunting Forum

Beef Ribeye Roast

Posted By: Stub

Beef Ribeye Roast - 12/18/19 07:06 PM

Thinking about picking one up and cooking it for Christmas dinner. For those of you that have cooked them before, any suggestions?
Posted By: decook

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast - 12/18/19 07:56 PM

Stub there's lots of recipes on the 'net and they mostly have you do the 500 F sear for 15 to 20 minutes, then either cook the roast at a reduced temp or shut off the oven. It depends on the weight for how long. Man you just missed it - Kroger had them on same last weekend and we got a 10 pounder. Here's how I'm going to do it

Lightly salted with kosher salt and pepper it pretty well.
Preheat to 450
Sear it for 20 minutes
Lower temp to 325 and cook it for 2 hours +5 minutes
Raise it again to 450 for 15 minutes
Remove it and rest covered with foil for 25 minutes
Carve and eat

This makes it about medium rare slightly to medium. I prefer it more "redder" but she doesnt at all - so I enjoy it this way just as well. You could chop that temp to about 250 or so and it might come out just right for you depending on your taste.

These are not hard at all and they are good
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast - 12/18/19 08:29 PM

I might be the odd man out, but I like my roast cooked low and slow falling apart tender like pulled pork. My grandma cooks a great ribeye roast every year for Christmas, ate it last nigh and it was good, but I would have preferred it cut into steaks and cooked rare over a med/well roast. For how I like roasts, reibey roasts are better served for other dishes, id prefer a chuck roast for a roast.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast - 12/18/19 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
I might be the odd man out, but I like my roast cooked low and slow falling apart tender like pulled pork. My grandma cooks a great ribeye roast every year for Christmas, ate it last nigh and it was good, but I would have preferred it cut into steaks and cooked rare over a med/well roast. For how I like roasts, reibey roasts are better served for other dishes, id prefer a chuck roast for a roast.

Agreed.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast - 12/18/19 09:22 PM

I did one on the smoker a couple years ago. Turned out good
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast - 12/18/19 09:33 PM

Tie it up so the cap stays intact!!!Sucks when the crust separates!!!! Also cooks much easier sitting out a few hrs before cooking.....I do 450 first 30 min to get a good crust going then 12 min a lb at 275 after that till middle is 140...pull it and let rest with foil over it for 15 min to let it set up.....
Posted By: Birddogger

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast - 12/18/19 11:07 PM

Reverse sear!! No comparison and you get all medium rare instead of the outside being med well progressing to med rare in middle. 225 degrees for 35 mins a lb with meat therm inserted. When you hit 120ish pull it and rest at least 15 mins and crank over to 500 and pop it in just to sear meat. When you have good color it’s done. You will have med rare from outer edges to middle and its foolproof way to cook prime rib. Takes little longer but totally worth it.
Posted By: MikeU

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast - 12/21/19 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Birddogger
Reverse sear!! No comparison and you get all medium rare instead of the outside being med well progressing to med rare in middle. 225 degrees for 35 mins a lb with meat therm inserted. When you hit 120ish pull it and rest at least 15 mins and crank over to 500 and pop it in just to sear meat. When you have good color it’s done. You will have med rare from outer edges to middle and its foolproof way to cook prime rib. Takes little longer but totally worth it.

This right here.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast - 12/21/19 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Thinking about picking one up and cooking it for Christmas dinner. For those of you that have cooked them before, any suggestions?

Seems as if the oven off method is the easiest way, I am going to try it this week

Here is a link from the TFF

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/13376712/prime-rib-advice#Post13376712
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast - 12/21/19 03:51 PM

Last big one I got on a big sale from Tom Thumb for $6.99 /lb was very tough. I cooked it right and it was medium rare, still tough.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast - 12/21/19 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gravytrain
Last big one I got on a big sale from Tom Thumb for $6.99 /lb was very tough. I cooked it right and it was medium rare, still tough.

Was it Select, Choice or Prime. I do not buy any select meat at all unless I am going to grind it and only buy choice if it has a lot of marbling when I buy a grilling steak..
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast - 12/21/19 10:59 PM

buy AT LEAST, choice ANGUS, this should give you the upper 2/3 of choice. any grade lower, you best get a chuck roast.

you get what you pay for
Posted By: don k

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast - 12/21/19 11:21 PM

This retirement is killing me. I need to get the Lone Star card so I can get a Rib Eye roast.
Posted By: tailchaser93

Re: Beef Ribeye Roast - 12/23/19 01:47 AM

We do the 225 then crank it up at the end but we also cost the outside with butter and rosemary before it goes in the oven.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum