Texas Hunting Forum

Pheasant

Posted By: Creekrunner

Pheasant - 12/08/19 01:14 AM

'Cooked pheasant tonight with a cream sauce. Pitifully, what caught my eye on the recipe that I've kept from a Field & Stream since at least the '90's, was that it called for a 1/4 cup of gin.

It didn't suck. And the wife did all the dishes.

I rarely, like in maybe twice a year, cook (not counting grilling and scrambled eggs). I cooked at a country club in college. I cooked Chicken Cacciatore on the third date with my now wife (we call it the "seduction date"). I've rarely cooked since. 28 years later, she's still quite miffed about that.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Pheasant - 12/08/19 01:16 AM

Try vermouth.

Re: Pheasant - 12/08/19 01:19 AM

The gin was fine. No need to change it. I was commenting more on my eye for booze.

Re: Pheasant - 12/08/19 01:38 AM

I have a great pheasant recipe in a cook book called Going Wild In The kitchen. Ill try to find it tomorrow. It has mushrooms and bacon.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Pheasant - 12/08/19 02:49 AM

cheers had pheasant under glass earlier this year...
flag
Posted By: Stub

Re: Pheasant - 12/08/19 11:51 AM

Creek where are the................................... pictures????

Re: Pheasant - 12/08/19 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Creek where are the................................... pictures????

Well, it did cross my mind, but my "plating" ain't quite as purty as what I've seen on here. I've got 16 more birds in the freezer, so I'm sure I'll try this recipe again.

Re: Pheasant - 12/08/19 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I have a great pheasant recipe in a cook book called Going Wild In The kitchen. Ill try to find it tomorrow. It has mushrooms and bacon.

Found it. Made it for a sit down dinner for 6 after a trip from North Dakota. Used both pheasant and sharp-tail grouse It made a decent presentation. My wild game bird plates helped with that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Pheasant - 12/08/19 03:27 PM

Nice plates Bill.

Re: Pheasant - 12/08/19 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Nice plates Bill.

They are free to a good home. FOB my front door. Book too.
Posted By: texfork

Re: Pheasant - 12/10/19 10:57 AM

I love the plates .
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Pheasant - 12/10/19 07:13 PM

This last batch of pheasant we processed differently. We let them hang for 3 days at 55 degrees then plucked (or tried to) and gutted. Made pheasant schnitzel out of the breasts and slow cooked the thighs and legs. I let the legs go too long and had to pick out all the tendons.

The schnitzel was excellent and the taste was better than ones we skinned and froze without hanging. We started doing this with ducks as well. As long as they are not gut shot, those birds (any kind) are drawn same day.

Next batch we will extend the hanging time a day to see if it improves. I think 2-3 days for pen raised and 3-4 for wild. Old roosters get 5 days. That's my theory.

Re: Pheasant - 12/11/19 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by texfork
I love the plates .

The offer stands.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum