Texas Hunting Forum

Scratch cornbread or Mix

Posted By: bill oxner

Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/03/19 11:57 PM

It's scratch for me. My whole family still uses my momma's recipe. It calls for 2/3 cups cornmeal, 1/3 cup flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, an egg, and milk to texture. Many recipes include cooking oil. That's a mistake. That's Yankee cornbread. All great southern cooks know that you put the hot oil in the pan. It should curl up around the edges like this.

[Linked Image]

Lets plate it. Love the little bubbles on the bottom.

[Linked Image]

I really prefer cornbread sticks, but don't have enough leftovers for cornbread dressing. Not a big problem. I cut edges and save the middle.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/04/19 01:34 AM

That’s an edible Rembrandt. Great presentation also.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/04/19 01:45 AM

Looks great. I could eat cornbread every day.
Posted By: CassCounty

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/04/19 05:08 AM

That looks Great!!! I have always used a mix. What are the measurements on the other ingredients (sugar, salt and baking powder)? and how much oil do you use in your skillet?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/04/19 12:48 PM

Bacon drippings go in our skillet.

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/04/19 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by CassCounty
That looks Great!!! I have always used a mix. What are the measurements on the other ingredients (sugar, salt and baking powder)? and how much oil do you use in your skillet?

I'm guessing. Sugar 2 T, salt pinch only, baling powder 2t, milk to texture, 1 egg. Oil to cover bottom. Maybe 2 T. Heat the oil in the pan before you pout in the batter.

You can use this same batter to make fried cornbread pan cakes. I've heard them called Hoe cakes or Johnny cakes.

Also, beware of people trying to sell you on a 50/50 flour cornmeal recipe. That's Yankee cornbread. I grew up on a cotton farm in Arkansas. We shelled our on corn and took it to a gristmill.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/04/19 04:17 PM

made/make it both from scratch and package.

The HEB (actually i think it's Hill Country Fare brand) Yellow Corn Bread mix is as close as I have found to tasting and texture like from scratch. Much easier in that you dump contents into a bowl, 2/3 cup milk, slightly beaten egg, mix and dump into hot greased cast iron skillet, then cook for 15-20 minutes until brown. They also have a Sweet Corn bread mix that's pretty good sweet cornbread.

I think I could eat corn bread every day. I still remember my dad making a meal out of cornbread and milk in a bowl.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/04/19 04:36 PM

Our recipe comes straight from an old copy of ‘Joy of Cooking’. We will taste the batter and tweak the ingredients before it goes in the hot skillet to sizzle in the bacon grease. We add a little more salt and sugar and occasionally chopped onion and jalapeño.

[Linked Image]

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/04/19 05:43 PM

more flour than cornmeal???

I still remember my mother making cornbread with fresh cracklings, my dad would sometime put in pickled jalapeno and fresh onions too ... it was even yummier
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/04/19 05:52 PM

As a kid grew up using a Betty Crocker recipe out of my moms cookbook.

When I moved to college my roommates all ate Jiffy mix from a box. I gave them a hard time, to me jiffy was so sweet it was like yellow cake. I like both now.

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/04/19 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
more flour than cornmeal???

I still remember my mother making cornbread with fresh cracklings, my dad would sometime put in pickled jalapeno and fresh onions too ... it was even yummier

More flour than cornmeal and butter or oil in the batter Yankee cornbread.

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/04/19 07:27 PM

Bill, I was referring to the recipe that Cast put in ... it calls for 1 cup flour and 3/4 cup cornmeal ... my scratch recipe has a little flour but no where close to the amount of cornmeal.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/04/19 07:33 PM

Twice as much cornbread as flour is how my Mother and Grandmothers made it (Mississippi definitely not Yankee). Oil in the pan unless making it in one of the cast iron cornbread mold pans that looked like corn or fish or... Those were cast iron pans as well but their smaller se made it better for the oil/butter/lard to be in the mix.

Amounts depend on what size pan you are making.

These days it is from scratch all the time as I am on an extremely low sodium diet from the Kidney Dr.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/04/19 10:59 PM

[Linked Image]

This is my favorite recipe right now, from an old Betty Crocker cook book. It’s half & half flour & cornmeal & dang good. Hot cast iron pan and bacon grease is a must. Cornbread & milk is one of my most favorite things to eat!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/05/19 04:35 AM

Usually from scratch, but if it is a mix, it will be a Morrison Milling mix. My grandma liked their cornbread, in later years it was all she used, she said making it from scratch was for the young people. No sugar either, save that for cookies and cakes.
Posted By: CassCounty

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/05/19 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by CassCounty

I'm guessing. Sugar 2 T, salt pinch only, baling powder 2t, milk to texture, 1 egg. Oil to cover bottom. Maybe 2 T. Heat the oil in the pan before you pout in the batter.

You can use this same batter to make fried cornbread pan cakes. I've heard them called Hoe cakes or Johnny cakes.

Also, beware of people trying to sell you on a 50/50 flour cornmeal recipe. That's Yankee cornbread. I grew up on a cotton farm in Arkansas. We shelled our on corn and took it to a gristmill.

Thank You! I am going to make it this weekend.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/05/19 01:19 PM

My wife and I both grew up eating scratch cornbread, and still make it that way. Our recipe is almost a dead ringer to Bills. If you are ever at Canton Tradesday, there is usually a guy there with a little gristmill running off a hit and miss grinding cornmeal. It is fresh and makes great cornbread.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/06/19 08:28 AM

Jiffy
Posted By: RickyK

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/07/19 05:22 PM

I cheat a bit and use Self Rising Cornmeal, white. Buttermilk and a small amount of oil. A couple of tablespoons of lard in my cast iron pan, throw it in the oven until it reaches 450 degrees. Remove pan add mix and back in the oven for about 20 minutes. Sometimes I mix some bacon with it. Once done I flip it out on a plate and put a good portion of butter the bottom side of the cornbread and let it melt and soak in. Taste real good, even my grandkids like it.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/07/19 05:26 PM

Another Jiffy
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/07/19 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
My wife and I both grew up eating scratch cornbread, and still make it that way. Our recipe is almost a dead ringer to Bills. If you are ever at Canton Tradesday, there is usually a guy there with a little gristmill running off a hit and miss grinding cornmeal. It is fresh and makes great cornbread.

Canton cornmeal GOOD. food
Posted By: Pigsicles

Re: Scratch cornbread or Mix - 12/07/19 10:47 PM

Zatarain’s Cheddar Jalapeño cornbread mix. Quick, consistent and better than I can make from scratch. It’s the right amount of sweet and spice for our tastes. Multiple boxes in pantry at all times.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum